By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Angelus said:
Microsoft's approach this gen is just too safe. They're acting like they're still shell shocked from the original X1 backlash, and refuse to take any more risks right now. They're constantly trying to rev up old IPs they have the rights to, as if those games were some kind of massive success, justifying blockbuster franchise status. Phantom Dust? Nobody cares. Crackdown? People only bought that game because they wanted to play a Halo 3 beta. Phil keeps talking about "oh I really wanna do all these things with these great IP we own".......BS. You want a hit that doesn't require years of passion and pre-production just coming up with what exactly it's going to be, because you don't wanna waste your time in case it doesn't strike gold. In other words, you're presuming a worst case scenario, and you're gun shy as a result. Much easier to just reach into a bag of names you already own and then throw it at whatever dev can be bothered to crank it out.

If they wanna impress me at E3.....show me something new. Show me something I haven't seen before. Show me something that actually looks like it was born of creativity, by some people that aren't making a game just for the sake of hopefully selling enough copies to warrant the budget. Show me something that makes me say WOW, I can't believe they did THAT!

Where is your genre defining game MS? Xbox had Halo. 360 had Gears. What does X1 have? A bunch of failed revivals, and continuations trying to just check as many boxes as possible (some doing so very well, others not so much). As of right now, your gen defining moment is still the reveal backlash. Playing it safe for the whole rest of the console cycle isn't going to win people over. I mean congratulations....you stabilized the fucking ship, but it's still not as shiny, nor has as many decks full of entertainment as the one from your rivals.

Phil kept saying he wants to win the gen, even after the disaster that was their launch. Well then god damn it play to fucking win asshole. Greenlight something that isn't a total cop out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3EzRAgjo_s

Around the Network
Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

What's really annoying about MS using their existing IP's this gen instead of big new AAA IP, is that the existing IP's they're using are relatively niche. They're sitting on a bunch of Rare IP's that were big sellers in the past and not doing anything with them. A Perfect Dark reboot similar to the Tomb Raider reboot would sell like hotcakes I'm sure, as would Banjo 3. 

I agree with you that MS is way too risk averse this gen. Seems like they keep trying to take the easy way out this gen, greenlighting cheaper, safer singleplayer games and microtransaction heavy multiplayer games, as opposed to huge AAA projects like Sony has been doing with games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Days Gone. 

Even worse is that they refuse to build up their 1st party. They have half the 1st party studios as Sony and Nintendo, and yet we haven't seen a single new 1st party studio this gen (Decisive was reportedly closed before they ever finished their RTS game). Instead they've been relying on 2nd party exclusives which has caused all kinds of issues (Phantom Dust/Scalebound are prime examples). 

I hate to say it, but this E3 is looking like Microsoft's last chance with me. If they don't deliver this year, I doubt I'll get Scorpio and will just play what few exclusives MS has that do interest me on PC in the future, moving to PS4 for multiplats. 

While I agree they have better IP to choose from than the ones they've decided on so far, I'm not nearly as convinced as you that even those that used to be big names would really receive such a warm welcome from todays market. Sure, there would be a portion of the "hardcore" gaming audience who loved those games that would stand up and cheer, but the larger audience would likely shrug at the revival of something like Banjo. Perfect Dark is a bit easier to sell, that could probably do quite nice if done right, but even then it's portential success would have very little to do with it's namesake in my opinion. Most won't know or care that Perfect Dark was a relevant thing once.

I honestly think that Fable is the only inactive IP MS has that's worth any meaningful amount of sales just off name alone. Everything else simply will come down to how good it is, and how sexy the marketing is.

Microsoft doesnt have access to the world market with their offerings. They are limited by that in general. They are selling quite well for their situation though and that just goes to show how much of the market you can still gain just by relying on third party.  The problem is if Sony is allowed to start on the right foot they will be gone. Microsoft has never been known to be a competent IP developer, but rather a competent IP purchaser. If they cannot create their own studios they need to buy some IP's that will last. Fable as a franchise was never properly realized to even have an identity to be honest. It was basically an WRPG on training wheels with no soul. Whatever Microsoft brings to the table will need to be new. For their sake I hope they bring it and I am keeping my fingers crossed for them as an investor. If they create a new IP internally that would be amazing to me because they wouldnt have to rely on third party for a stable title that was hot.

Anyone here completed Ori: DE on hard difficulty? I started playing it and it is pretty challenging. It's still fun to play because the gameplay is spot on. The best platformer I've played since Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

Alice: Madness Returns is good too. It's kind a similar to ReCore, only better imo. It seems there's many good games I didn't play last gen. Never played Crackdown or State of Decay either.

Oh, and can anyone give me any tips how to beat par scores on MCC missions? Do I need to play them on legendary or use some skulls or? I suppose to beat the par time I just need to run (except you can't fucking run in old Halos damnit) and avoid all combat I can right?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Angelus said:

While I agree they have better IP to choose from than the ones they've decided on so far, I'm not nearly as convinced as you that even those that used to be big names would really receive such a warm welcome from todays market. Sure, there would be a portion of the "hardcore" gaming audience who loved those games that would stand up and cheer, but the larger audience would likely shrug at the revival of something like Banjo. Perfect Dark is a bit easier to sell, that could probably do quite nice if done right, but even then it's portential success would have very little to do with it's namesake in my opinion. Most won't know or care that Perfect Dark was a relevant thing once.

I honestly think that Fable is the only inactive IP MS has that's worth any meaningful amount of sales just off name alone. Everything else simply will come down to how good it is, and how sexy the marketing is.

Microsoft doesnt have access to the world market with their offerings. They are limited by that in general. They are selling quite well for their situation though and that just goes to show how much of the market you can still gain just by relying on third party.  The problem is if Sony is allowed to start on the right foot they will be gone. Microsoft has never been known to be a competent IP developer, but rather a competent IP purchaser. If they cannot create their own studios they need to buy some IP's that will last. Fable as a franchise was never properly realized to even have an identity to be honest. It was basically an WRPG on training wheels with no soul. Whatever Microsoft brings to the table will need to be new. For their sake I hope they bring it and I am keeping my fingers crossed for them as an investor. If they create a new IP internally that would be amazing to me because they wouldnt have to rely on third party for a stable title that was hot.

No, Fable was never properly realized, but saying it lacked soul is wrong on so many levels. Soul is one of the things it actually did have going for it.

KiigelHeart said:
Anyone here completed Ori: DE on hard difficulty? I started playing it and it is pretty challenging. It's still fun to play because the gameplay is spot on. The best platformer I've played since Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

Alice: Madness Returns is good too. It's kind a similar to ReCore, only better imo. It seems there's many good games I didn't play last gen. Never played Crackdown or State of Decay either.

Oh, and can anyone give me any tips how to beat par scores on MCC missions? Do I need to play them on legendary or use some skulls or? I suppose to beat the par time I just need to run (except you can't fucking run in old Halos damnit) and avoid all combat I can right?

Alice Madness is one of my favorite games. The art is amazing and the story is very dark and twisted.

Around the Network
DeusXmachina said:

Alice Madness is one of my favorite games. The art is amazing and the story is very dark and twisted.

Yeah it dark and twisted in a funny way, love it :)

I had to tone down the difficulty in chapter 1 already, started on hard but it was a bit too difficult for me. I'll try again on my next playthrough after upgrading the weapons, should make it easier.

edit. and for discussion above, yes Fable is a casual RPG that's easily accessible but it most definitely isn't lacking soul or identity ffs.

KiigelHeart said:
DeusXmachina said:

Yeah it dark and twisted in a funny way, love it :)

I had to tone down the difficulty in chapter 1 already, started on hard but it was a bit too difficult for me. I'll try again on my next playthrough after upgrading the weapons, should make it easier.

edit. and for discussion above, yes Fable is a casual RPG that's easily accessible but it most definitely isn't lacking soul or identity ffs.

There's some funny moments but the story has a lot of heavy and dark stuff. 

I think the game is actually kind of easy because of the Hysteria mechanic.

Angelus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No, Fable was never properly realized, but saying it lacked soul is wrong on so many levels. Soul is one of the things it actually did have going for it.

Then pray tell...what soul did it have? Anything lacking personal identity or focus that is so believable it hooks you in lacks a soul (especially after three iterations). If I was to recreate Fable, I would keep the good vs bad gimmick in the vein of the original Mass Effect but make the game more mature in its overal plot and your capacity to affect the story. The most revolutionary thing Fable could do to affect the RPG world is make a living world that organically changes based on your direct intervention. I always wanted Fable to find a true soul because the first was so promising, but for me there was never anything that could live up to the promise of the first. The first felt like a good start to an incomplete work of art. Enough to hook me for the sequel, if this makes any sense. They should also take some hints from Grimms-like tales to show the dark/grey/ light yet fantastical  take on the world in which they exist. It doesnt matter if you're king or a pauper, there needs to be a draw.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Angelus said:

Then pray tell...what soul did it have? Anything lacking personal identity or focus that is so believable it hooks you in lacks a soul (especially after three iterations). If I was to recreate Fable, I would keep the good vs bad gimmick in the vein of the original Mass Effect but make the game more mature in its overal plot and your capacity to affect the story. The most revolutionary thing Fable could do to affect the RPG world is make a living world that organically changes based on your direct intervention. I always wanted Fable to find a true soul because the first was so promising, but for me there was never anything that could live up to the promise of the first. The first felt like a good start to an incomplete work of art. Enough to hook me for the sequel, if this makes any sense. They should also take some hints from Grimms-like tales to show the dark/grey/ light yet fantastical  take on the world in which they exist. It doesnt matter if you're king or a pauper, there needs to be a draw.

Again, you're either being very disingenuous, or you and I played very different Fable games. They lacked proper execution certainly, a strong focus, sure, but never soul. All the way through, it was arguably the best thing the franchise had going for it. It had an undeniable charm, a quirkiness, and even a sense of innocence to it that is unmatched in the RPG space. Basically, Fable had character, and what is a game's soul if not that?

Undeniably, at least in my mind, it all ultimately goes rather criminally to waste, because Lionhead with Molyneux at the helm just couldn't execute on their core promises....but to say the game(s) lacked soul is just nonsense.

Angelus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Again, you're either being very disingenuous, or you and I played very different Fable games. They lacked proper execution certainly, a strong focus, sure, but never soul. All the way through, it was arguably the best thing the franchise had going for it. It had an undeniable charm, a quirkiness, and even a sense of innocence to it that is unmatched in the RPG space. Basically, Fable had character, and what is a game's soul if not that?

Undeniably, at least in my mind, it all ultimately goes rather criminally to waste, because Lionhead with Molyneux at the helm just couldn't execute on their core promises....but to say the game(s) lacked soul is just nonsense.

Agreed. Fable had a ton of soul.

It was always flawed, never lived up to it's promises, poor execution... But those British characters, story, humor, art... The series had a very strong unique character that set it apart from other games.
And the Fable games *were* fun to play, no doubt about it.

They need to bring Fable back. I actually miss it.
Fable and Halo is what conned me into getting the Xbox in the first place and what drove me to get the Xbox 360 as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--