By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Princess Zelda doesn't need to be a warrior.

Zelda is developing a little bit of a warrior's reputation herself I would suggest. While you might cry foul of me referencing Hyrule Warriors as it's not a canon game, it certainly will influence people's perception of Zelda, and there's also Twilight Princess, where she properly joins the fight against Ganondorf assisting with the light arrows. I don't think she will be or ever needs to be the lead role in a main Zelda game but at the same time she's not a Princess Peach damsel in distress - at least not anymore.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
sundin13 said:

Did you play Skyward Sword?(without going into spoilers) she did a lot to help Link for a large portion of the game and she never really played the traditional role of damsel in distress. Llike I said, I don't want to go into spoiler territory, but I think its clear that her role was quite distinct from what people typically think of when they think of rescuing the princess.

This, I'll add rescuing someone doesn't negate their impact, a large number of the 3D games she actually has a key role in helping out, she funny enough is one of the more active characters of her type in gaming. 

Like during the final boss of Wind Waker in which she's the one who provides the mean to beat Ganondorf.

t3mporary_126 said:
I slightly disagree. I want this next game to be as similar as Princess Mononoke as possible while having the general Zelda theme and gameplay to make it a Zelda game.

So I want Princess Zelda to be a Princess and a Warrior.

Again, she doesn't need to be a warrior. I love Princess Mononoke, and I want the game to be similar too, but that doesn't mean she needs to be a warrior. That doesn't mean she needs to be inept at combat either, though. Many Zelda's posessed combat training. Some were archers. Some were pirates. Others were ninjas.

Personally, I'd love to see a Zelda who was slightly oppressive and slightly tyrannical, out of the desire to protect her kingdom at all costs. Obviously she would soften up as the game progressed, but her strength doesn't need to come from her own combat prowess. She holds command of the entire Hylian army. That is power.

Since you seem to like Studio Ghibli, you should recognise Princess Kushana from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Zelda should be like her in one game.

Never said:

I was under the impression that Ganon is the same person in all games not some sort of strange reincarnation like Link and Zelda. Am I mistaken? Nowhere does it state that link is supposed to be a boy.

It's common to have character creation screens these days and personally I'd like options to design my own link.

Ganon is not the same person in all games. He is the same in many games, but not all of them.

As much as Nintendo tries to push it, Link is not an avatar. He's a character. No where does it state that Ganon is supposed to be a male, either. Yet here we are.

Lastgengamer said:

While you make a great well thought out argument about why Zelda shouldn't be a warrior, the great thing about Zelda games is that they can always start out with just the basics of the background story and so these characters can be in just about any situation like when Sheik or Tetra were introduced.

That kind of freedom is also why we got Link on a train however:/

I don't think that Sheik and Tetra are in contrast with what Princess Zelda is, though. They aren't heroes. They are support. They aren't even remotely powerful enough to do the things that Link does. Recount the ammount of times Sheik or Tetra ever enter real combat. Exactly. They can't be in any situation, just any situation within reason. That reason being the confines of Zelda lore.

Around the Network
Cream147 said:
Zelda is developing a little bit of a warrior's reputation herself I would suggest. While you might cry foul of me referencing Hyrule Warriors as it's not a canon game, it certainly will influence people's perception of Zelda, and there's also Twilight Princess, where she properly joins the fight against Ganondorf assisting with the light arrows. I don't think she will be or ever needs to be the lead role in a main Zelda game but at the same time she's not a Princess Peach damsel in distress - at least not anymore.

Tingle fights in that game. And Agitha. It's as relevant as Smash Bros. If people actually let that game influence their perception of anything in Zelda, that's their fault.

Zelda also assisted in WW. That's completely different, because she's only offering support. I never said she was a damsel in distress. I said she doesn't need to be a warrior.

spemanig said:
Lastgengamer said:

While you make a great well thought out argument about why Zelda shouldn't be a warrior, the great thing about Zelda games is that they can always start out with just the basics of the background story and so these characters can be in just about any situation like when Sheik or Tetra were introduced.

That kind of freedom is also why we got Link on a train however:/

I don't think that Sheik and Tetra are in contrast with what Princess Zelda is, though. They aren't heroes. They are support. They aren't even remotely powerful enough to do the things that Link does. Recount the ammount of times Sheik or Tetra ever enter real combat. Exactly. They can't be in any situation, just any situation within reason. That reason being the confines of Zelda lore.

Tetra fights alongside you in the final boss as well as being a Pirate Queen for most of her life and Sheik evaded Ganondorf and his forces for 7 years not to mention the Shiekah Tribe are skilled going by Impa in SS, just because you don't see them in active combat doesn't make them helpless.

Zelda doesn't need to be a Warrior yes but at the same time I'll add we don't need this notion of a strong female forced on us just for the sake of it, I don't want Zelda to be like Princess Mononoke or Kushana that kind of change in character is for Ganon as along with Link they're the two entities that change in the cycle, Zelda is meant to be the one thing in it that is consistent no matter her incarnation whether the bubbly Priestess in SS or the cold Princess in TP.

Zelda is already a strong female character, she's the most intelligent character in the franchise and has an influence that is pivotal to how things turn out, with out her Link would always fail.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as the game is good.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Feminist politics are sadly taking over everything...

spemanig said:
Never said:

I was under the impression that Ganon is the same person in all games not some sort of strange reincarnation like Link and Zelda. Am I mistaken? Nowhere does it state that link is supposed to be a boy.

It's common to have character creation screens these days and personally I'd like options to design my own link.

Ganon is not the same person in all games. He is the same in many games, but not all of them.

As much as Nintendo tries to push it, Link is not an avatar. He's a character. No where does it state that Ganon is supposed to be a male, either. Yet here we are.

What is this rule which states characters not utilise character creation options?

Out of curiosity do you know in which games ganon was alternate incarnation?