By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Princess Zelda doesn't need to be a warrior.

spemanig said:

None of those characters are stupid. No one is above becoming misguided or antagonistic. There's absolutely nothing about those qualities that aren't suited to Zelda. She can be flawed. There's nothing about her character that says she has to be always right. The idea that being tyranical is more suited to Ganon because the villians are the Zelda characters that are interesting holds absolutely no water.

Again, Impa is not shown to be any sort of power house in SS. There's pleanty of explanation, especially stealth, that far better explains how they got through those dungeons. Unless you're also assuming that Impa also has a whip, beetle, and every other puzzle item required for Link to defeat the enemies and puzzles in those dungeons.

Except Impa is shown to be skilled in SS, Link's near failure in one dungeon leads her to believe he'll be of no help indicating she actually had an idea of how to go about things something Link in many incarnations doesn't have when all hell starts breaking loose in the games, I'd argue that in a number of cases Zelda and other characters start out more powerful then Link who eventually gains more skills under her guidance, Zelda is an incarnation of a Goddess after all, Link is the only representative of the Tri-force who is an incarnation of a mortal being. Someone like Impa is more suited to be like those two mentioned anime characters then Zelda and in SS the were times she was slightly antagonistic.

Zelda does have flaws which is why Demise's incarnations constantly keep coming back to over power the kingdom otherwise she'd already have a fullproof plan waiting to put in motion, no matter her wisdom they can counter it with the sheer power they inherited from Demise. Becoming antagonistic is a trait that's not suited to her, she can be cold like in TP, bubbly like in SS, charming like in WW or elegant like in OOT but in the end her wisdom prevents her becoming oppressive otherwise she wouldn't be wielding that part of the Tri-force.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

If Zelda defeated enemies in a Chell-like way, that would be fine, as long as she isn't clearing like dungeons of 30 or so monsters that way. And again, if she just incapacitates them, I think that would be more in line with her character. I definitely think it should be most that she has to stealth around, though. She's not a powerhouse. If she could just waltz in and take out an entire dungeon, even if it was all by using her mind, Link would have no reason to exist.

But it would have worked fine if Ripley wasn't the main character. The rape undertones come from the alien, not Ellen, and Alien is a movie about making male viewers specifically feel uncomfortable because it's about a woman (the alien) raping all the men of the ship, so that's not even really a great example.

I'm not trying to argue that there aren't examples where gender roles can impact a story, but I am arguing that there's no story that could be told in Zelda that would benefit from a female Link.

I think we basically agree about that.

As for Alien, yeah maybe not the greatest example. It was just the first thing that popped into my mind. You got my point though, so it's all good.

That last one I feel is for nintendo to decide. That was my point. Honestly I can't think of a compelling reason to do it right now (and I also don't think they will change anything that drastic about one of their longest running most iconic franchises), but maybe they will. I'm willing to stay open to the possibility.

Wyrdness said:
spemanig said:

None of those characters are stupid. No one is above becoming misguided or antagonistic. There's absolutely nothing about those qualities that aren't suited to Zelda. She can be flawed. There's nothing about her character that says she has to be always right. The idea that being tyranical is more suited to Ganon because the villians are the Zelda characters that are interesting holds absolutely no water.

Again, Impa is not shown to be any sort of power house in SS. There's pleanty of explanation, especially stealth, that far better explains how they got through those dungeons. Unless you're also assuming that Impa also has a whip, beetle, and every other puzzle item required for Link to defeat the enemies and puzzles in those dungeons.

Except Impa is shown to be skilled in SS, Link's near failure in one dungeon leads her to believe he'll be of no help indicating she actually had an idea of how to go about things something Link in many incarnations doesn't have when all hell starts breaking loose in the games, I'd argue that in a number of cases Zelda and other characters start out more powerful then Link who eventually gains more skills under her guidance, Zelda is an incarnation of a Goddess after all, Link is the only representative of the Tri-force who is an incarnation of a mortal being. Someone like Impa is more suited to be like those two mentioned anime characters then Zelda and in SS the were times she was slightly antagonistic.

Zelda does have flaws which is why Demise's incarnations constantly keep coming back to over power the kingdom otherwise she'd already have a fullproof plan waiting to put in motion, no matter her wisdom they can counter it with the sheer power they inherited from Demise. Becoming antagonistic is a trait that's not suited to her, she can be cold like in TP, bubbly like in SS, charming like in WW or elegant like in OOT but in the end her wisdom prevents her becoming oppressive otherwise she wouldn't be wielding that part of the Tri-force.

Than the question would lie: Would it be a violation of the universe, if the Triforce didn't get split up into 3 pieces. And one character got it at the end. And gannon was going to steal it. Or does the triforce parts have to be locked always to Zelda wisdom, Link courge, Gannon power. Could people accept if Zelda or Link got power. And Gannon got wisdom. Because you can still be heroic or evil under any of the one 3 abilites. Or all 3 combined. I personally wouldn't have an objection if the triforce pieces were floped around. But others might go ape shit. Like how Metorid Other M screwed Samus' personality.

archer9234 said:

Than the question would lie: Would it be a violation of the universe, if the Triforce didn't get split up into 3 pieces. And one character got it at the end. And gannon was going to steal it. Or does the triforce parts have to be locked always to Zelda wisdom, Link courge, Gannon power. Could people accept if Zelda or Link got power. And Gannon got wisdom. Because you can still be heroic or evil under any of the one 3 abilites. Or all 3 combined. I personally wouldn't have an objection if the triforce pieces were floped around. But others might go ape shit. Like how Metorid Other M screwed Samus' personality.

Tri-force is locked to each incarnation to start of with, a character can later obtain the full triforce though.

Wyrdness said:
archer9234 said:

Tri-force is locked to each incarnation to start of with, a character can later obtain the full triforce though.

That's not really what I meant. Would it be accepted IF Nintendo allowed the tri-force pieces to be interchangeable in one game universe. Or would people go ape shit over a "rule" break.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

That's not really what I meant. Would it be accepted IF Nintendo allowed the tri-force pieces to be interchangeable in one game universe. Or would people go ape shit over a "rule" break.

It may be a bit controversial as essentially it's tied to the cycle which piece each person gets, each piece dictates the role in the situation, OM is only an issue because people built up a false perception of what she's like it was an assumed perception of what, Zelda is a bit more of an issue as it's more set in stone.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I didn't know people wanted a warrior Zelda. People should go play The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks then. Zelda is with you throughout the game, not just in the final boss fight, and thanks to the touch screen, you can control Link and Zelda almost simultaneously.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

tolu619 said:
I didn't even know this was a thing. I didn't know people wanted a warrior Zelda. People should go play The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks then. Zelda is with you throughout the game, not just in the final boss fight, and thanks to the touch screen, you can control Link and Zelda almost simultaneously.

People want Zelda playable. Not really reliant if she can be a warrior, or not. It be like Braverly default's Jobs. All the characters can do whatever.

spemanig said:
Mystro-Sama said:
She doesn't have to have her own game but I would like it if she was a warrior instead of the princess that you have to save every game. That formula is old and tired.

Zelda does not need to be a warrior for Link to not save her. The team could just write her in a plot that doesn't involve saving her.

Like Ocarina of Time? Or Skyward Sword? Or The Wind Waker?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile