By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are You Pro Or Anti-Abortion?

DJEVOLVE said:
This thread is full of Fanatics, Go join a religious oppressive group and be done with it. I'm out of here. Have fun explaining this to closed minded people who want to control every single aspect of a woman's life. Since you know better than them and want to impose big government to get your way. PEACE! By the way, the percentage of people that want to control woman is a minority and shrinking everyday. In 20 years, you will be but a sliver of industrial nations and thank the fonz for that.

So the people who disagree with you are fanatics, huh?

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
sc94597 said:

1. What is the biological difference between a baby that is in the womb right before and after labor? What makes them human?

2. Do you believe there are no pro-life women?

(Sorry to but in)

But to answer the first, science considers it life once it can exist independant of the host. So a baby right before birth is considered human. A baby a month before birth is considered human, a baby 3 months from birth is considered human.

No it doesn't. That is a belief made by individuals not some objective claim about reality. It is not a scientifically testable nor an objective measurement. It is a label which some people choose to make. Life isn't that simple in science. I personally believe that a unique life is created upon conception (the newly unique genome and development start at this point.) Whether we can call such a being human or not is a different story.  Furthermore, the child is still a parasite upon birth. It will not be able to survive without said host. So for that reason is child abandoment justifiable? 

sc94597 said:
naruball said:
I'm 100% pro-choice.

I'm saying this as someone whose mother wanted to abort him and his father didn't let her. They were having financial difficulties and couldn't afford bringing another child to this world. Thankfully things worked out for them in the end.

Out of curiosity, how many of you say I'm 30 years and 9months old? We don't count those 9 (or 8,7,6) months as parts of our life for a reason. The way I see it, up to the day you're born, you're not really a human being, but a part of someone else's body. If the mother wants to get rid of that part of her for whatever reason, she should be given the choice to do so. I'd much rather not be born at all than have a mother that doesn't want me (e.g. the woman who aborted her fetus for being male).

It's also very interesting that the vast majority of people on this forum are male and express this opinion. I think that had they been women, they'd feel differently, especially if they had female friends who explained to them just how much their life changes after they get pregnant and go through with it.

1. What is the biological difference between a baby that is in the womb right before and after labor? What makes them human?

Sorry to butt in but I feel that I have to say this in regard to question 1: What defines a human life will never be well...defined. That is, because we have Scientists, Religious People, and Religious Scientists...everyone has something different to say. Religious people will say that whatever even begins to show growth after sexual relations, it is human because well...humans give birth to humans of course. A blastula, from what I remember from college bio, is a collection of what eventually becomes a human. We all know that what is growing in the uterus will be a baby, that's no secret to anyone.

Then there's scientists that will define life without validation. They will say that a heart is the qualification for human life.

Then there's the religious scientists that will play ping pong with both thoughts and won't setlle on a definite answer.

And of course I'm being broad here, very broad about the 3 types of people, but the bases are concrete. I fall into the Religious Scientist section because I'm indecisive.

sc94597 said:
naruball said:
I'm 100% pro-choice.

I'm saying this as someone whose mother wanted to abort him and his father didn't let her. They were having financial difficulties and couldn't afford bringing another child to this world. Thankfully things worked out for them in the end.

Out of curiosity, how many of you say I'm 30 years and 9months old? We don't count those 9 (or 8,7,6) months as parts of our life for a reason. The way I see it, up to the day you're born, you're not really a human being, but a part of someone else's body. If the mother wants to get rid of that part of her for whatever reason, she should be given the choice to do so. I'd much rather not be born at all than have a mother that doesn't want me (e.g. the woman who aborted her fetus for being male).

It's also very interesting that the vast majority of people on this forum are male and express this opinion. I think that had they been women, they'd feel differently, especially if they had female friends who explained to them just how much their life changes after they get pregnant and go through with it.

2. I'm sure there are many pro-life women. I don't think most are anti-choice, though, especially the non-religious, well-educated ones.

1. I don't think there is a huge difference, but I can't see society accepting killing babies after they're born. As far as I'm concerned, it'd be fine until a certain age (6 months old or something), but I know that very few people would agree with me. The difference for me is the experiences they have, their personality that they have made and the connection they may have built with their parents or people who are taking care of them. Before they are born, for me they are insignificant. After they are born and start changing the world around them in some way, I consider them as people.I remember wathcing an episode of Homeland with a mother trying to drown her infant for a few seconds (until she changed her mind) and I didn't blame her. I would never do it, but I wouldn't judge someone if they did it.

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

Thats not how things work. If 1billion cases recorded show a pattern, then a single case show up that defies it, then thas just an eception to the rule. its still 99.99%  acurate and should still be taken as correct. a hypothessis or a theory wont change because a freak variable chances once and never changes again. That just is not valid.

In science a law must apply to 100% of the cases... there is no situation were 1+1 is different than 2 in the cartesianian math. Newton laws apply in all normal physics, thermodinamic laws apply to all cases... all others are no more than theories with high percentage of valid cases... but what does that have to do with the point?

A law does have to apply 100%, but a theory does not. The 24 week thing is not a law. When people use the "just a theory argument" we can really see how ignorant they are. If you need a better explanation look at this.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

(Sorry to but in)

But to answer the first, science considers it life once it can exist independant of the host. So a baby right before birth is considered human. A baby a month before birth is considered human, a baby 3 months from birth is considered human.

No it doesn't. That is a belief made by individuals not some objective claim about reality. It is not a scientifically testable nor an objective measurement. It is a label which some people choose to make. Life isn't that simple in science. I personally believe that a unique life is created upon conception (the newly unique genome and development start at this point.) Whether we can call such a being human or not is a different story.  Furthermore, the child is still a parasite upon birth. It will not be able to survive without said host. So for that reason is child abandoment justifiable? 

I'm so surprised I totally didn't see that coming.. 

You can believe that, that's up to you dude. And no, a child can survive on it's own after 24 weeks (I know 2 people born after 6 months, they made the paper it's quite cool), it has full biological function at that point that's why it's considered life. I'm extremely tired but basically thats the jist.

You can believe that life starts at conception if you want but the law and science disagree with you my friend.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ljink96 said:
sc94597 said:

Sorry to butt in but I feel that I have to say this in regard to question 1: What defines a human life will never be well...defined. That is, because we have Scientists, Religious People, and Religious Scientists...everyone has something different to say. Religious people will say that whatever even begins to show growth after sexual relations, it is human because well...humans give birth to humans of course. A blastula, from what I remember from college bio, is a collection of what eventually becomes a human. We all know that what is growing in the uterus will be a baby, that's no secret to anyone.

Then there's scientists that will define life without validation. They will say that a heart is the qualification for human life.

Then there's the religious scientists that will play ping pong with both thoughts and won't setlle on a definite answer.

And of course I'm being broad here, very broad about the 3 types of people, but the bases are concrete. I fall into the Religious Scientist section because I'm indecisive.

I agree. I was asking how he defines it though. This is not a scientific question. It a belief one/label. I'm an athiest and would fall in your "religious scientist" option by the way. 

the-pi-guy said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Now you're just being a dick on purpose. I'm currently wagering the pro's and con's of dignifying that with a response, the con's being actually explaining why a foetus (especially a new one) is a considered a 'small' collection of cells and a fully grown adult male isn't which is obviously apparent to anyone who has the ability to read this sentance. And then I would be dignifying that ridiculous statement but I guess I could've done that already instead of going on and on and on... This is the preferred method. Unless you REALLY want me to explain why a fetus with a couple hundred/thousands cells is considering a 'small' connecting. When the adult body is made up of 37 trillion. (not including trillions on your skin) 

I'd come back to explain that, but I really don't think I have to. 

TL;DR, Don't be pretentious and make arguments you know are flawd.

In the grand scheme of the universe, all of us are tiny tiny tiny tiny^300 specks on a tiny tiny tiny^20 speck floating through space.  

Doesn't make it okay.  

And like I said, I think science can come up with solutions that'll please all the arguments.  

Again, you know exactly why that's irrelevant. The law and science does not regard a fetus human life until it can survive on it's own. That is all for now, until you can come up with a different measurement then whatever. (I apologise I'm growing more apathetic as it is now 4:35am)

Abortions are horrible things to go through so if they can make it easier I'm all for it. However I can't imagine they'd go through extracting the foetus to develop it in some sort of mechanical womb. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
sc94597 said:

I'm so surprised I totally didn't see that coming.. 

You can believe that, that's up to you dude. And no, a child can survive on it's own after 24 weeks (I know 2 people born after 6 months, they made the paper it's quite cool), it has full biological function at that point that's why it's considered life. I'm extremely tired but basically thats the jist.

You can believe that life starts at conception if you want but the law and science disagree with you my friend.

Can a child survive on its own after 9 months? Of course not. Again that is your opinion, not some fact. This is not how science works. 

As far as I recall any cell is a living being. Although living beings aren't precluded to cells (even though we haven't seen such a being.) In biology the first thing you learn is life can't be easily and quickly defined. It is defined by its characteristics, and self-sustainability without a host isn't one of them. Otherwise countless worms would not be living beings. The law might disagree, but that doesn't mean much, especially as the law is diverse based off places. 

the-pi-guy said:

It's solvable by tube babies!

Yes, what we need is more parentless children...