By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Review Thread - MetaCritic 81% / GameRankings 81.46%

sundin13 said:
pokoko said:

If a game with promised content got a higher score based on that promised content, and that promised content turned out to be of inferior quality and offered no real reason to keep playing the game, would you be okay with that?

What if we have two games, both of which promise additional content.  One under-delivers with shallow, redundant content, while the other hits a grand-slam with content that improves the value of the base game greatly.  Are you okay with these two games getting the same score?

Your solution is not a solution.

Its not perfect, but I believe it to be better than your non-solution. When you have a problem, the answer isn't to do nothing because you can't find a perfect answer. You move towards the better option until you can find something that surpasses that.

Driveclub faced the same problem, maybe even worse because its additional content was much better than the game originally was, so why didn't you guys stand up for it then? As a lurker, I know it was being criticised for this by almost everyone on this site at that time.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Pavolink said:
Mummelmann said:
I remember when users in here used to give developers a hard time for releasing "unfinished games". Bob Dylan was right; the times they are'a changin'.

I remember when last gen some, like me, pointed how reviewers gave free points to HD games just for being HD. Those times has also changed for some users.

I remember the 7th gen as an overrated hell for old dogs like myself, so yes; agreed.

I whole heartily disagree.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
Mummelmann said:

I remember the 7th gen as an overrated hell for old dogs like myself, so yes; agreed.

Most people do, and that's fine. I hated the 7th generation, it turned me almost completely away from console gaming, I bought only about a dozen games for the PS3 and didn't even own a 360 or Wii. The Wii was waggle and usual suspects and the PS3 and 360 were the main reason for most mainstream games getting the "broader appeal" treatment for higher potential sales.

Many loved it; I did not.

Mummelmann said:
alternine said:

Most people do, and that's fine. I hated the 7th generation, it turned me almost completely away from console gaming, I bought only about a dozen games for the PS3 and didn't even own a 360 or Wii. The Wii was waggle and usual suspects and the PS3 and 360 were the main reason for most mainstream games getting the "broader appeal" treatment for higher potential sales.

I get what you mean. It was hit and miss for me all gen long. It seems like there were far less innovative games during that gen than during any previous generation. Most were very formulaic games than didn't dare take any risks. But when the games were good, I thought they were actually fantastic and memorable. But there weren't that many of them.

I didn't hate last gen, but it wasn't as interesting as the ones that came before. But maybe it's all due to us getting old. =P

Hynad said:
Mummelmann said:

I get what you mean. It was hit and miss for me all gen long. It seems like there were far less innovative games during that gen than during any previous generation. Most were very formulaic games than didn't dare take any risks. But when the games were good, I thought they were actually fantastic and memorable. But there weren't that many of them.

I didn't hate last gen, but it wasn't as interesting as the ones that came before. But maybe it's all due to us getting old. =P

Ugh, I think you may be right...

Games keep aiming more or less for the same demographics and ages and we keep growing out of these.

There were some truly amazing games in the 7th gen for sure, just less than in the ones before in my opinion. The good thing about it is that it made me a PC gamer again and I rediscovered how great a gaming platform it is, I also stumbled across many fantastic Indie titles that I would otherwise likely have overlooked. Steam and GOG has made my gaming life simpler, cheaper and filled with quality titles at all times.

My backlog is terrifying though.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Ugh, I think you may be right...

Games keep aiming more or less for the same demographics and ages and we keep growing out of these.

There were some truly amazing games in the 7th gen for sure, just less than in the ones before in my opinion. The good thing about it is that it made me a PC gamer again and I rediscovered how great a gaming platform it is, I also stumbled across many fantastic Indie titles that I would otherwise likely have overlooked. Steam and GOG has made my gaming life simpler, cheaper and filled with quality titles at all times.

My backlog is terrifying though.

Interesting you'd mention that. I had only a very limited knowledge of the greatness that is Steam prior to last gen. I've always played a bit on PC, but I had never invested much time and money into it. Mostly because I really like the streamlined aspect of console gaming. But somewhere around halfway during last gen, I started to think the console gaming scene was getting stale, and I was craving for something better. I had just gotten a new PC, one that was moderately current (it was a Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4GB DDR3 @1333 Mhz, and a newly released Radeon 5770.

Games developers were providing more and more games that would usually release only on consoles before. And my PC was more than capable of running them much better than both consoles could. So that's when I took notice of Steam, and eventually GOG. And when Steam released Big Picture Mode, that's when I knew I'd be a PC gamer as much as a console gamer from now on. I still prefer the mostly hassle free aspects of console gaming: you don't need to look for system recommandation to have the game run as intended, and, let's be honest, it's annoying (even if only a little) when your PC isn't capable of running the game at its highest settings.

Steam also had that effect for me, about the indie scene. I have played quite a few indie games thanks to the ridiculous pricing on those two PC platforms. I don't yet own a PS4 or a XBox One. But there was these metroidvania games I had to play. A indie game called Axiom Verge, and a indie/second party game from Moon Studio: Ori and The blind Forest. Back then, I wouldn't care much about that kind of games. But those two seemed to hit all the right nostalgia aspects that I loved during an other era, and I was really looking forward to getting this feel again. I wasn't disappointed. Those games are awesome. =D

But I digress. Right now, I have a lot of fun playing on the Wii U. And I feel the games Nintendo releases are their most polished ever. And they do try new things. Splatoon being a good example of that. But I haven't seem the same energy form the other developers. Including Sony and Microsoft. There are some neat games coming down the line, but the jury is still out on those ones. During last gen, I felt indie games where basically just trying to replicate what worked during the earlier generations, with some few exception. But right now, I believe it is those studios that will actually help push things forward with new ideas and concepts. Even if they're not what people call AAA games and the production values don't always do the games justice, the gameplay ideas that they bring more often makes up for all this.

Mummelmann said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

What users and what games did they give a hard time?

Most of the board, have you missed the 8th and 7th generation so far? Unfinished games are everywhere and it's annoying, whether they are missing content or pure bugs, some titles just seem like they should have had more time before hitting the market. Destiny was heavily criticized (and rightly so) for lack of content, Evolve as well (again, rightly so), Dragon Age: Inquisition had a lot of content but a lot of it is very poor and repetetive and appears as filler, The Sims 4 (which added free content later on), Ryse: Son of Rome, Gran Turismo 5 and 6 (I was among those who made loud complaints about the lack of content in this case, this has been among my favorite series for two decades). There are others as well, the truth is that this is a fairly common complaint, especially in this day and age when production value and visuals are so far up on the list of priorities, content and variation often suffers as a result of this.

The whole point of a game review is to shed light on strengths and weaknesses of software for potential customers, and unlike "too much water", this is a perfectly reasonable complaint, and a common one at that. Stating that the complaint is invalid because the game will soon be complete is not reasonable.

sundin13; I know the point of online games, I play Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield 3 and 4 myself, and I know that you don't finish them in regular fashion. My point is that if there isn't enough varied content from the beginning; you may as well wait for more to release instead of buying the game right away. For comparison, BF 3 had 9 maps and 13 modes on release, all the modes were present from the beginning, same with BF 4, which has all 13 modes and 10 maps from release.
I don't want to pay full price today for a game that is "complete" tomorrow and I'm still failing to see how that is a mind-bending concept in any way.
DLC adds something extra to the core experience, while in the case of Splatoon, both by Nintendo and your own admission; it is parts of what was always intended as the core experience itself, that doesn't make it better than regular DLC, it sort of makes it worse.
Whether or not it is free is besides the point; the game was still not 100% upon release and the point deduction is completely justified, these maps, weapons and modes should have been included in the game from the beginning.

The mechanics in Splatoon appear to be really solid and the concept itself works great, but reviewers appear to simply want more meat on the bone, which is why I claim that it is entirely okay to recommend customers to either wait or state in reviews that content is lacking for now. It's not entirely unlike Early Access in some ways.
Stating that the future content is free does not change the fact that it is future and not current content, which is my whole point.

I see where you and some others are coming from, and not having the paywall is better for sure, but the complaint about immediate lack of content is valid right now no matter how one looks at it. The game is quite simply not complete as it is, lumping in the future free content by default kind of underlines that as well, it tells us that the game was always supposed to be more than it is, which makes the complaint about lack of content valid in a turn of paradoxal proportion (for those arguing against it).
They could have waited and added more content, perhaps released in the fall instead, it's not like it would make a huge difference for hardware sales and it would likely have yielded both better reviews and better software sales as a bonus.

PS: Evolve added free maps and modes as well, it was also deducted (heavily by some) for lack of content. Were these deductions wrong?

Well, you named one user, lel. I only asked to see if that was truely true or not, cause I know for me that doesn't apply. Also I have to wonder what basis people are using to claim Splatoon unfinished seeing as it's launching with everything Nintendo promised it would. If they didn't mention the free updates in the direct no one would be saying as such, they'd still complain about a lack of content which would then be forever correct instead of just the first week or two sure, but no one would say it's incomplete.

Cubed3: "Nintendo have taken a risk with a new and original concept, particularly within a difficult market to crack. Effortlessly charming, compelling and a solid start to what may well become one of the company's regular franchises. There are niggles with the game's control and lack of offline content, but there is certainly plenty of potential for Splatoon going forward, particularly through download content. Whether a shooting fan or not, Splatoon offers a refreshing, intriguing multiplayer experience that deserves a go or two, or three, or four…" 8/10

http://www.cubed3.com/review/2039/1/splatoon-nintendo-wii-u.html

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

40 positive reviews

And only 6 mixed

Not a single red one

I think it´s pretty clear that the game has convinced the vast majority of the critics even with the lack of content and missing features on day 1.

Goodnightmoon said:

40 positive reviews

And only 6 mixes

Not a single red one

I think it´s pretty clear that the game has convinced the vast majority of the critics even with the lack of content and missing features on day 1.

And fans shouldnt feel bad about the review because they got the mechanics of the game right.  I am sure that if they fixed the content problem in the sequel, they might hit 90+.