By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Mario Kart 8] So, Does Anyone Actually Play Battle Mode?

Do ya?

Not at all. 85 62.96%

Very rarely. 31 22.96%

Sometimes. 11 8.15%

Pretty often. 5 3.70%

I battle more than race. 3 2.22%

Total:135

I've played it a couple of times but its just not fun.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
I've played it a couple of times but its just not fun.

Same here. I haven't played it since the game first launched. It's just not enjoyable.

If a new Diddy Kong Racing is indeed on the way, maybe it will feature a worthy battle mode. 

I don't really play it. Battle mode's level of awesomeness historically has been inversely proportional to the awesomeness of the rest of the game, so considering how crazy amazing the rest of the game is it's no surprise battle mode in MK8 is abysmal.

They ruined it too much in 8 to make it worth playing.

its an overlooked and extremely underrated mode in MK8. people's main complaint is that arenas were replaced with normal tracks but honestly it feels like such an improvement. arenas either had too many turns or were just boring to play on. with tracks it feels balanced and more strategic.

really my only complaint is how coin battle have been neglected. in MK7 you were limited to collecting 10 coins per round. in MK8 it was not there at all...

Around the Network
Platina said:
Barely. The battle mode maps are really bad and isn't that fun to play

That's disappointing... I remember on MK64, all me and my buddies would play was battle mode... Awesome fun.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Salnax said:

I play Battle Mode in MK8 on a semi-regular basis. I actually prefer it to the past few versions of this mode.

Hear me out!

I started playing Mario Kart on the N64. And though I feel that game's racing is overshadowed by more recent games, MK64's Battle Mode was as close to perfect as the series has ever gotten. The arenas were nicely designed and the game's items and physics meshed well with the basic concept.

However, I think that the mechanics of the series changed enough over time to make Battle Mode a generally worse experience. Generally speaking, racers have gotten faster over time without becoming much more manuverable. This works wonders in regular races, but discourages the arena combat that was the staple of Battle Mode. You saw this in how the arena changed over time. MKDS had four new arenas, which were generally very open areas with few obstacles or non-curved edges. MKWii had Chain Chomp Wheel and Thwomp Desert, a pair of fat rings that encouraged plaers to go in circles to mantain speed.

Mario Kart 8 is possibly the speediest entry yet. You start with the basic formula, throw in coins and tricks for extra boosts of speed, that anti-gravity bit where bumping into opponents increases speed, and so on. Everything is faster, but the karts are not necessarily easier to hit. This is also a side effect of 12-player races; items are balanced so that players have more options available to counter item use. Note that the triple banana item now spins around a player instead of trailing behind, making it a defensive option. And of the new items, only the Boomerang Flower is primarily offensive. The Piranha Plant has a short range and the Super Horn is best used to counter enemy items.

In short, a traditional Battle Mode simply won't work witH MK8's mechanics. The only way it could work is to emphasize continuous speed and make sure the opponents will be in a limited area to maximize chances of hitting them. in other words, just keeping them on traditional race tracks.

I like Battle Mode, but the racing is what keeps me interested in Mario Kart. If the racing's changes leave the Battle Mode behind, it's a pity, but nothing more.

Not really seeing how speed is a problem as MK8 isn't significantly different speed wise from the other Mario Karts who did battle mode no problem, with said battle mode probably only played on 100cc anyway, and your chances of hitting an opponent have little to do with the arena rather than your own accuracy.

My god! Proof that there are actually people who battle more than race!

RolStoppable said:
Battle mode sucked in all Mario Kart games. Driving in circles is lame.

I loved Battle Mode in Double Dash. It had the best maps for it imho

Without it's own maps however, it gets boring really quick in MK8