By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile gaming is NOT the future

That is to say the future of an indivudual company. The mobile market can turn you lots of profit, but it's also the most fickle, the userbase migrates en masse to the next big thing. Konami used to be really big in Japan with mobiles a couple years ago, look how far they've fallen.

Mobile companies fall as fast as they rise.

What has happened to Rovio, who once claimed they'll be the next Disney?

Rovio is almost out of the top 50.

Traditional gaming while it requires bigger investments and nets slower roi, is much more stable, there's no huge downswings and fluctuations and the effects of a hype lasts far longer than a mobile game.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Well yea, Rovio just doesn't seem to create much interesting content nowadays. Mainly just Angry Birds spin-offs and the occasional eh game.

The problem with a lot of mobile devs is that they seem to stick to one or a few games. Look at Supercell for example, they live off of their small library of THREE games. I'm pretty sure that developers like EA have a more stable income from mobile games just by looking at their expansive mobile library.

Traditional gaming isn't remotely more stable. I'm all for shitting on mobile, but let's not act like traditional gaming is financially sound right now. It's not. The lack of a middle ground, and the mere existence of a mobile market that every big dev is migrating to is proof of that.

Traditional gaming is better for one reason - controllers.

"The lack of a middle ground, and the mere existence of a mobile market that every big dev is migrating to is proof of that."

Watch as most of them fail there too.
If you cant make it as a real game developer for pc or consols, theres a good chance you wont as a mobile developer either.

spemanig said:

Traditional gaming isn't remotely more stable. I'm all for shitting on mobile, but let's not act like traditional gaming is financially sound right now. It's not. The lack of a middle ground, and the mere existence of a mobile market that every big dev is migrating to is proof of that.

Traditional gaming is better for one reason - controllers.

Ya, the above example shows them in the profit regardless, where many traditional gaming companies were having hard times in the 7th generation. Some of them have turned it around, because of focusing on both markets. 

Around the Network

Lately, I find myself worrying about the gaming industry as a whole. Doesn't seem like a very lucrative or creative time period for games in general.

No it's not. But as it stands the market as a whole needs to change first before anyone starts to realize that. Mobile is definitely the most risky of the 4 markets, console, PC, handheld, and mobile. It is run like the early 80's before the Game Crash. Everything copies each other, no quality control, etc. eventually the market will grow a few brain cells and realize mobile gaming is crap and burst the mobile bubble. Personally, and I can't speak for everyone, but I've noticed a large amount of people recently voicing their dissatisfaction with their mobile games, casuals not regular gamers. Now how that will affect the industry when it bursts, idk, but it is dangerous to put all of your gaming efforts there like Konami is doing.

The mobile market is really unstable and changes constantly, but I'm sure it will stay for the future

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Turkish said:

That is to say the future of an indivudual company. The mobile market can turn you lots of profit, but it's also the most fickle, the userbase migrates en masse to the next big thing. Konami used to be really big in Japan with mobiles a couple years ago, look how far they've fallen.

Mobile companies fall as fast as they rise.

What has happened to Rovio, who once claimed they'll be the next Disney?

Traditional gaming while it requires bigger investments and nets slower roi, is much more stable, there's no huge downswings and fluctuations and the effects of a hype lasts far longer than a mobile game.

Lol, when has Microsoft started publishing mobile games?

Lol, when has Microsoft started publishing mobile games?

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/windows-phone#fbid=Ul5TthfHfA5 - As far as ima ware they have gamerscore and link to your main gamertag.