By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

Teeqoz said:
sc94597 said:

Just want to correct a few people in here. Agnostic and athiest are not mutually exclusive. Claiming "agnostic" answers the question of knowing while atheism answers the question of believing. I am for example an agnostic athiest. I don't believe we can  know there is or isn't a diety, using an empirical method, due to that, I can't believe in a deity. Some people are agnostic theists. They don't know there is a deity, but they have faith there is one and believe there is one. Some people are gnostic atheists, they claim they know there is not a deity, and we have sufficiently falsified its existence. Some people are gnostic thiests. They claim  they know there is a deity and we have empricial evidence for its existence. Obviously since these people claim knowledge, they also claim belief or disbelief.

Yup. Most atheists are really agnostics once they think abit more about. You can by 'definition' not disprove a supernatural deity, but just because you can't disprove something doesn't mean you have to believe it's true.

I'd find it rather strange that people who follow a religious path based on faith would ever ask for proof that a God doesn't exist, surely faith alone should be enough proof from an Athiest that one didn't exist? But in the real world it's not possible to disprove the existance of something which isn't there.... I could tell you that in the very deepest core of the Sun there is a perfect bowl of Banana split with icecream on it, realistically there isn't much you could do to argue the point that it isn't there if I have faith that it is.

As for the OP, I'm afraid I follow the simple line of thought that Bigtakka has http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7272549 I think we get very little time to live on this planet and I'm upset enough that there is 7-8 hour periods of the day where I have to sleep to continue living so I definately wouldn't consume any of the finite hours I have in my life with kneeling down and hoping for an 1up afterwards, if anyone is reading this and thinks that I'm wrong and will burn in hell for all eternity because of my views.... well that's just the icing on the cake at most I have another 50 years to live if I was granted eternal life (even if it was suffering and being burned etc) it would still be eternal... like... Hell would be painful... but you can't die... you'll live forever. Would be bizzarre anyway I wasn't afraid of death before I was born because I didn't exist and I wont worry about it after I die because I wont exist.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Azuren said:
Most organized religion carry too many similarities with cults. Dietary restrictions, moral obligations, money/food donations, social restrictions, relationship restrictions... And most of these rules are completely arbitrary, often carried over from archaic times when they made more sense.

Then there's the "I'm absolutely right and there's no fucking way I'm wrong, even though I was never involved in the aforementioned events or alive during them" attitude. It's insufferable, and even more so from religions like Christianity. It's not even the most commonly believed religion, yet they believe that they're right and everyone else is wrong, including the most popular religion, Islam.

But Islam isn't innocent, either. Between Islam and Christianity, I'm about ready to stab the next person who tries to convert me. I'm not a mindless thrall for someone to program, I am a person with his own thoughts and beliefs. At least Hinduism doesn't believe in suggested conversion, they believe everyone will eventually job the right religion (which is, if course, Hinduism).

And finally, there's way too much overlapping to be multiple different religions. Something real happened all those years ago, and I'm not saying it was aliens (it was aliens), but something that primitive man couldn't explain was happening all the time. Something else happened, and taking all of those religious texts written by complete morons literally only makes people look dumb.

Just an FYI, christianity is the most widely followed religion, not Islam.

Point that they are outnumbered by people who don't share their beliefs stands.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

ohmylanta1003 said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I don't think that's what he meant.  I believe he meant that it is abundantly obvious, and any rational person should be able to see it, not that it's just his interpretation.  If that idea is offensive to other people, so be it, but if that's his opinion which the topic was asking for (again don't want to shove words in his mouth) I can't think of a clearer way to express it.

I know what he meant. But by saying it that way, it comes off as "I'm better than you and if you don't see it my way you're an idiot". To avoid any conflict, he should have said that it makes sense to HIM, which is what I said earlier. But he wanted to say it the first way, which I would consider a potshot.

I agree with JWeinCom, both the comment itself and the meaning behind it.

I wonder if our religions will die out and be replaced some day. I think that we will have some sort of beliefsystem for many, many more years, but I think that we'll get a "modern" bible some day. I wonder how it will look.

I think most religious people would like a bible that doesn't talk about owning slaves or stoning kids, you know? Faith isn't about those things anyways. The bible was obviously a product of its time, and as such has a lot of weird stuff in it. If people got together and tried to make a new holy book, and tried perhaps (might be impossible, but why not try?) to unite all the religions under one banner, with better goals and rules. I think that would benefit all of humanity.

I think it comes mainly from the mindset I have had since childhood. I loved learning, and still do to this day. I would study maps and histories and watch documentaries on cultures. People and the world fascinated me so naturally I asked questions.

In church their was ultimately a brick wall of answers like "god did it" or "only god knows" using the deity as a catch all to cover ignorance.

In school I found far more satisfactory answers, and the humility to answer "we do not know, at least not yet".

I went to church until I was no longer forced to as felt disconnected from the congregation and notions of "faith".

Once I went to University I found I was not alone and met people from all walks of life. My understanding grew through my conversations and even met more sophisticated theists. I ultimately found their beliefs or reasoning lacking and alien. It was at this point I realized I was an atheist and that this was okay.

At 30 the only disappointing aspect of this debate is that it has been years since I've heard new or interesting arguments. It feels recycled at the stage that I can see the next three steps of a typical discussion before it happens. I have an open mind, but nothing presented by anyone in my life makes the compelling argument that there is any deity of any kind present in our reality.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Teeqoz said:

Just an FYI, christianity is the most widely followed religion, not Islam.

Point that they are outnumbered by people who don't share their beliefs stands.

You said christianity wasn't the most commonly believed religion, and then went on to say islam was the most commonly believed religion. Just tellin you, that's not the case.

xenogears1234 said:
bigtakilla said:
I'm not an athiest, I just don't care.

There is an actual term for that its what i refer to myself as which is an apatheist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism welcome to the club :)

Exactly, lol.

I was raised as a Christian.
As I grew older I began to question things. These questions led to: why is Christianity any more of a real concept than Judaism or Muslim?
Learning about religions that come and go also brought more questions. Hercules, Hades etc. are Greek myths. Myths are religions that no longer have a following. These myths often predate the current religions.

Religion is often considered to be real because of the texts that describe their deity. During each era, different religious factions have had conflict with one another because their text is the true 'message'.
If you look at political texts during these eras, both sides of each society has a bias against the other.
This often led to war, massacres, genocide etc.

War still occurs to this day due to religion. Religion also has a strong hold on politics which is wrong and just grants you a conservative leader that enforce their beliefs upon a nation because of an old book.
An old book that is not backed up by any evidence.
Books that are often misrepresented so people can use that religion for their own agenda, and to control the minds of millions.

I believe in what is real. What can be proven to be real. I enjoy Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings, however, I know that they are fantasy.

I am an Atheist that follows what can be proven to be real. I even challenge social norms. Just because something has been normalised within a culture, does not make it the right thing. I believe in questioning the state of things and challenging them. I believe in progress. Sure there is much that can be learned from the past, such as: do not act like these people did.

I live in reality, not fantasy. My source of hope is educating myself, and hoping that others do the same. You can make a better world by challenging norms that have been established and generating equality within a society. Believing everything will be better (or worse) in the afterlife is all well and good. People should focus on the life that they know truly exists and focus on making that life the best and most positive thing they can. We definitely exist, that can be proven. We can make our lives and the lives of others better. Can we prove that one religion trumps another? Can we prove that any deity exists?

That is why I am an Atheist.

End of rant.

SlayerRondo said:
sc94597 said:
SlayerRondo said:

Rather than having reason's for being an Atheist, I think the important question is why do people believe in a god in the first place?

The best answer for why there is belief in the supernatural, afterlife, and god is the fear of death. 

I would say that is the number one reason why people want to believe in the existence of a god rather than a reason to believe in the existence of a god.

It's sad that people will suspend reason and common sense when it comes to the question of religion more than anything else. I used to think like this using the flimsiest of reasons to keep believing is the Christian god and not caring about an honest evaluation of the truth of my belief.

There are really smart people I know that come off as reasonable 99% of the time but when it comes to religion they seem to throw reason and common sense out the window.

I think it is an unrealistic standard to hold that all beliefs we all form are/should be based on reason or empirical data. Many beliefs that even the most scientifically minded people hold are based on intuition and emotional reasoning. A perfect example is String Theory. For decades now many physicists have been chasing it because it is a mathematically beautiful theory, but still there have not been many ideas about how we can test it. I don't think irrationality in beliefs, or intuitive beliefs are exclusive to religion, nor do I believe that intuitive reasoning has absolutely no use in even science (often it informs us in the direction we should look before we formulate our testable theory.) Furthermore, religion is a very complicated thing. A lot of it is allegorical, and it is very hard for people to separate the allegory (which can feel quite true to their lives) from the mysticism. The afterlife is not that unrealistic of a concept for many, and I don't think it is that irrational of a belief in the grand-scheme of things (despite myself not believing in a traditional one.)

FragilE^ said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

I know what he meant. But by saying it that way, it comes off as "I'm better than you and if you don't see it my way you're an idiot". To avoid any conflict, he should have said that it makes sense to HIM, which is what I said earlier. But he wanted to say it the first way, which I would consider a potshot.

I agree with JWeinCom, both the comment itself and the meaning behind it.

You're all right! While my comment was just an honest answer to the question and not meant to offend anyone, I'm perfectly fine with you being offended by it if you want to be. Afterall, taking offence to something is a personal choice, and I'm not your master so go nuts. And that is how I actually feel. It just wasn't what I was portraying in that comment.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m