By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM Rumour: EA launches own console in 2010

I know its the internet but I can almost hear the fear in people's voices as they write these responses.

Around the Network

Maybe it's a good thing. Many people don't know what a console is capable of nowdays. For instance many people didn't know that a PS2 also plays DVDs even when parnets bought it for there kids. What if this console takes over the upcoming Blu-ray market? That will be huge for gaming. All these companies (Philips, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba and Samsung) might be the trigger for the ignorent consumer. The Blu-ray market shrinks to 30-80 dollar. Above that amount only consoles are sold because they have a greater value. Only nintendo survives with there inovative idea's.

There would be NO way that I'd get a EA console, even if they did hijack a ton of game companies and bring some established franchises for their brand. The thing is, when was the last time that EA came up with a innovative game on their own? They usually will buy out a competitor just so they can have that franchise and then release about 80 variations of that game with slight differences, some good, some horribly bad. I could see it though to where EA would try to put themselves into a position to hurt MS and the 360 by this due to the racing and sports titles that they carry which would cripple much of the fanbase of the 360. (American sports/racing/etc are big here in comparison to other parts of the world). Sony could get hurt slightly by it, but they already have a good proven in house software department that will address those genres and release quality games that are usually on par or better then EA's offerings.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

This sounds about right. Usually every 2 or 3 generations there's a new console. PS came in Nintendo and Sega's 3rd Gen, Xbox came into the 2nd gen of the PS brand and if this rumor is true the new machine would come into the 3rd gen since Xbox came into play. I'm excited cuz it'd be fun to see what EA can do and how this could affect the other consoles. If you think this would have no impact on other consoles then you must be a blind fanboy cuz everythingg can change in a matter of months!

What are you looking at, nerd?

the market will not support 4 different major game consoles

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Around the Network
jjseth said:
There would be NO way that I'd get a EA console, even if they did hijack a ton of game companies and bring some established franchises for their brand.

They already have.

If you haven't noticed, they've been buying up every western developer and all of their franchises. Next is Ubisoft rumor has it.

taomaster06 said:
the market will not support 4 different major game consoles

Agreed, everyone can smell the blood in the water, the real question is, who drops out if EA jumps in? Microsoft or Sony?

It would/will crowd the market, it would only affect US and EU killing MS consoles. It would fail to make any money.

Edit: If they really want to do this, they should work a deal with MS to partner on the Xbox brand (won't happen but it would be good for MS, and be the only chance for EA to get anywhere

Edit 2: Why would this be good for the, when thy have much less rick and have so much oppurtunity to sell the same games over and over on many different platforms?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Sullla said:

Since several of you requested it, I tried to track down a link stating that EA must produce a version of Madden for all viable gaming platforms each year. I wasn't able to find any article explicitly stating this (which I HAVE read before, trust me!), but this press release from the latest extension of the exclusivity agreement is pretty close:

EA EXTENDS INTERACTIVE VIDEOGAME AGREEMENTS

WITH NFL AND NFL PLAYERS

Exclusive Agreements Renewed Through 2012 Season

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - February 12, 2008 - Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:
ERTS) today announced an extension of its exclusive licensing
relationships with the National Football League and NFL PLAYERS to
develop, publish and distribute interactive football video games. These
agreements - which were negotiated separately and are extensions of
contracts originally signed in December 2004 - provide EA continued
rights to NFL teams, stadiums and players for its critically-acclaimed
and best-selling football videogames through the end of the 2012 season,
which culminates in February 2013.

Both agreements include all aspects of the interactive experience,
including console and handheld games as well as console-based online
features.
The agreements also provide EA access to both NFL Films and
the NFL Network to enrich its game experiences. Financial terms of the
agreements were not disclosed.

"This is all about bringing authenticity and realism to NFL videogames,"
said Eric Grubman, President of NFL Ventures. "EA SPORTS continually
works to maintain the cutting edge for NFL products across a variety of
gaming platforms. We like the fact that they never rest."

"This is great news and it means we can continue to produce the best
interactive experience possible. It also allows NFL PLAYERS, the NFL
and EA to continue to build our brands," said Gene Upshaw, Chairman of
NFL PLAYERS and Executive Director of the National Football League
Players Association. "We offer a very unique experience. "

"We are excited about the opportunity to extend and expand our
relationships with the NFL and NFL PLAYERS," said Peter Moore, President
of EA SPORTS(tm). "For nearly two decades, EA SPORTS has been bringing
sports fans closer to the great game of football through the
breakthrough interactive experiences of our videogames. Game quality is
our top priority, and we're committed to pushing our gameplay
innovation, connecting football fans via rich online experiences and
delivering the most visually stunning sports games on the market."

Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2008, EA's Madden NFL franchise has
consistently been one of the videogame industry's best-selling and
top-rated products, generating more than $2 billion in retail sales.
Madden NFL 08 earned awards from the 2007 Game Critics Awards at the E3
Media and Business Summit, The SpikeTV Video Game Awards, and the
GameSpot Readers Choice Awards last year. The game is available on the
PLAYSTATION(r)3 and PlayStation(r)2 computer entertainment systems, Xbox
360(tm) and Xbox(r) videogame and entertainment systems from Microsoft,
Nintendo DS(tm), Wii(tm), PC, PSP(r) (PlayStation(r)Portable) handheld
entertainment system, mobile handsets and Mac. EA also produces the
arcade-football game NFL Tour which hit stores in January 2008, and NFL
Head Coach, which was released in 2006. EA SPORTS recently hosted
Madden Bowl XIV in Scottsdale, Ariz., as part of Super Bowl XLII
festivities.

Both agreements grant exclusive rights for action simulation,
arcade-style and manager games on the PC, handheld game devices and
consoles.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-maintains-exclusive-rights-to-the-nfl-69924.phtml

It never says that EA has to produce Madden for all of these platforms, but the bolded text essentially implies it. Sorry, that's the best I could do...

That doesn't imply that they HAVE to release Madden games for all platforms. It gives them exclusive rights to use the NFL license on all of those platforms, should they choose to make games for them, so another company like 2K Sports can't use the NFL license when making an football game.

OT: Wasn't a big reason that EA wanted to get Take-Two was to take over 2K Sports? (essentially their competition in the sports area) 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

would be funny if they'd really tried it, but I don't think it would make much sense to EA, so in my opinion this is highly unlikely to happen

they can release crappier versions of madden, fifa on the other consoles...MANY MANY more features and MUCH better play on their console with gimped features on the other consoles...make their console's version the definitive one

in determining whether to do this, they have to look at how much they pay to nintendo+sony+ms for licensing fees vs how much it would cost them to r&d and then market/sell a console + how much they'd lose in sales from other consoles if they make the games exclusive to their console....

they will also get some licensing fees from other studios that make games and put them on the ea console, but most of the advantage of this would come from saving the money on licensing fees

if they buy up take2 and ubisoft and some others, then they could be looking at owning the rights to games that sell some 100mil copies a year combined...100mil * licensing fees (anybody have a good idea of how much the big 3 charge?) is a lot of money each year...1 billion/year if it's 10/game for licensing fees

they would likely make their console pretty similiar to ps360 or the wii/ps2 so that easy porting could be done, leading to more 3rd parties on their system paying them licensing fees

the big question for them would be if they should go exclusive or not with most of their games...predicting how many they would sell would be big here...if they did gta exclusive to their console, would it drop from selling 10mil to only 5mil? if so, that's 5mil*their cut of the game lost...and the 5mil * licensing fees doesn't make up for that unless the amount they make is equal to the amount of licensing fees paid

the best strategy would likely be to wait for tech to come down in price and then release a cheap console that is close enough to the others to have ported games and then release their major games on all the consoles, but have the by-far-definitive version be on their console...so gta goes to the others but has more missions, a larger city, more dlc, etc on their console...do that with all their big IPs and it'd be enough to sway a lot of people towards their console, especially if they also own take2 and ubisoft and a few other strategic partners

they'd also be best served to launch it with the definitive version of at least 20+ of their big selling ips (obv all the sports games, but also some of ubi's top games and gta5 and others)....wouldn't be tough since they release a ton of games each year to also port them to their console and add more content

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp