By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is forcing me to go digital, but I still want physical!

No you should support physical.

You might not want to trade or resell this specific game, but in other cases when you do want to, you wont have the option to if digital prevails over physical.

Over here in the UK, they are almost always more expensive on PSN than physical retailers anyway.

Just as an example, look at everyone raging asking for refunds on GTA V PC.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:

No you should support physical.

You might not want to trade or resell this specific game, but in other cases when you do want to, you wont have the option to if digital prevails over physical.

Over here in the UK, they are almost always more expensive on PSN than physical retailers anyway.

Just as an example, look at everyone raging asking for refunds on GTA V PC.

I got a refund on my Halo MCC digital copy by calling microsoft.

I'd rather buy physical. Games these days are getting too big and ISPs are getting too greedy with data caps and bandwidth. Games will never go completely digital worldwide for that reason. Another reason is HDD space (at least on the XB1, I'm not sure about the PS4).

I have a large amount of Digital games but i still prefer physical copies. I worry that if my HDD crashes 10 years from now that i won't have the option to re-download them to a new HDD. If that happens I'm out the games and my money. If you have physical and your rig goes down all you have to do is buy a new rig and you still have your games (although you may also miss out on patches if it is a significant amount of time after release).

The_Yoda said:
I have a large amount of Digital games but i still prefer physical copies. I worry that if my HDD crashes 10 years from now that i won't have the option to re-download them to a new HDD. If that happens I'm out the games and my money. If you have physical and your rig goes down all you have to do is buy a new rig and you still have your games (although you may also miss out on patches if it is a significant amount of time after release).

Your purchase are tied to your PSN or Xbox live account. You can always re-download.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Why does it have to be all one way or the other? If you prefer physical then just keep getting physical but maybe make the odd exception for when digital versions have good deals on them.

This is exactly what I do. It helps save money here, and there.

yvanjean said:
The_Yoda said:

Your purchase are tied to your PSN or Xbox live account. You can always re-download.

And if one of those services ends?

physical all the way

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
tokilamockingbrd said:
OdinHades said:

You can always play your games on your primary PS4 offline without ever connecting to the PSN. Only on a secondary console you have to be logged in.

You still have to be logged onto your account on the PS4. Try this. Disconnect internet. Sign out of PSN. Now try to play you digital games (without reconnecting to PSN).

When I was trying to log into PSN when it went down I signed out, but since PSN was down I could not sign back in at all. I could not play any of my digital games for several days.

I just did this and it still works. Disconnected from the internet, signed out if PSN, I can still play my digital games (bloodborne)

In general: both have their pros and con's. Digital is so convenient and sometimes cheaper, physical has resell value.  I have mainly gone digital because I can get stuff day 1 without putting pants on. 

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

yvanjean said:
The_Yoda said:

Do you think it will still be available for download 10 years from now, 20 years from now? Eventually you will lose access to digital content, they will not host it forever.