By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is it that Wii U's name failed it but Xbox One's didn't?

Which console has the better name?

Wii U 110 27.09%

Xbox One 109 26.85%

Yo Mama 187 46.06%

Total:406
teigaga said:

Marketing

No one is silly enough to see Xbox "One" and think MS is reselling their system from 2001...

One of these 2 looks and sound like a peripheral. The other looks like and new console and reads like one to. Beyond that the name was one of the Wii U's problems, it wasn't the biggets.

Pretty much right on the money here.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
naruball said:
zippy said:
naruball said:
The name was never an important issue for Wiiu not selling well. All it was, was an excuse by fans to justify the disappointing sales. Same with Vita. Apple could name their product, iphone 1s and people would still buy it in droves. Sony could name their next home console "Vita" and it would sell well.

It's much harder to admit that most gamers are simply not that interested in old Ninty ips any more. The number of hardcore Ninty fans or people who are actually interest in Ninty ips is much lower than people are willing to admit.

If gamers are no longer interested in old Ninty IPs, how do you explain over 50million 3DS units sold.

There are many reasons for which 3ds is successful, one of which is that since the gameboy a Ninty handheld is THE handheld to own. It has a very strong brand and apart from the psp, it never had any competition. So, if you are a parent and are thinking about buying a safe console for your child, the first device that would come to mind would be a 3ds. With psvita being a disaster, the 3ds almost has the monopoly.

Also keep in mind that it has received great support from many important developers, with high profile games like Monster Hunter, Yukai Watch, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Castevania, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Heart, Tales, Bravely Default (Square Enix, right?), and even Dragonball Z, Naruto, Attack on Titan. These are not only exclusive games, but also the first that come to mind without any proper research. I'm sure there are many more.

I have a 3ds and can tell you that the sales of Mario games, for example, can be a bit misleading. Sure, I bought 3d Land, but I would never have bought it or even a 3ds in the first place, had Namco not released two exclusive Naruto games for it. After I got the device, I felt like buying a few more games to justify the purchase. So, no I did not buy a 3ds for its first party titles (apart from Pokemon, which was a strong plus). Maybe I'm in the minority. Who knows.

What I do know and have been hearing for ages is that ps4 has been doing better than the quality of its 1st and even 3rd party games suggest. Why? Because it's THE home console to own. It's the "my friends buy it, so I buy it" mentality. The ps3 had a great reputation so everyone couldn't wait to buy a ps4. Had the 3ds been the first handheld that Ninty made, I don't think it would have done well. I think part of its success should be attributed to Ninty being the top dog in handhelds and ds being such as success story.

Nice post, its kinda role reversal with Nintendo and Sony. I imagine deep down Nintendo treat their handheld division a higher priority than home console and vice versa with Sony, If you get success on both then great. I said from day 1, anybody comparing last gens sales for Ninty to this would be solely disapointed. (although even i thought Nintendo would be sitting on 14-15 million Wii U sold at this stage )

We were too busy watching the WiiU suffer to care about Xbox One's major shortcomings, which ironically were also even worse than the WiiU's in some ways (stupid name, high price, BS policies, DRM, useless costly peripheral). Another difference was made when MS solved all these issues in a reasonably short amount of time (great marketing, price cuts, policy reversals, cutting Kinect)

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

mZuzek said:
zippy said:

If gamers are no longer interested in old Ninty IPs, how do you explain over 50million 3DS units sold.

Pokémon is still Pokémon.

haha aren't you tired and others to keep repeating this generalization?Because I'm tired seeing that,it's not just pokemon...

For instance super Mario 3D land and Mario kart 7 pushed more 3DS than pokemon X and Y did...

zippy said:

Nice post, its kinda role reversal with Nintendo and Sony. I imagine deep down Nintendo treat their handheld division a higher priority than home console and vice versa with Sony, If you get success on both then great. I said from day 1, anybody comparing last gens sales for Ninty to this would be solely disapointed. (although even i thought Nintendo would be sitting on 14-15 million Wii U sold at this stage )

Yeah, I think pretty much everyone did. Even when it started not doing well, people (probably myself included) were predicting 40-45m minimum.

Around the Network
zippy said:
Mummelmann said:

To be fair; he said "most gamers" and not "gamers are no longer interested", and how do you explain that the 3DS will likely sell half as much as the DS lifetime if he doesn't at least have a point?

Wii and DS were a complete one off for Nintendo, I never thought for one moment they would replicate that success with Wii U and 3DS (although i thought Wii U would be doing at least 5 million more than it currently has). If 3DS tops out at 70 million plus, i would consider that successful especially factoring in a botched launch.

Yes, they were a one-off, I agree with that. But why do you think that the Wii U and 3DS show such enormous contractions? Surely, if Nintendo IP's were a constant as a market factor, we would see a larger portion of the 35 million + who bought Mario Kart Wii? The DS also sold over 23 million of its iteration of MK (MK 7), that's almost 60 million customers who bought MK in the 7th gen, why did most of them not buy the sequel(s) on 3DS and Wii U? Donkey Kong is the same story, Kirby as well.

Personally, I've also said that the majority of the Wii's audience was not coming back to the Wii U or any other console because they weren't really gamers to begin with but there has to be more to it when Nintendo's biggest franchises aren't keeping the core customers coming to the Wii U and 3DS.

PS: 70 million 3DS would be a success indeed, I'm not contesting that at all, but I do find it strange that the handheld market was more than halved in one generation without franchise fatigue being at least part of the equation.

naruball said:
zippy said:

Yeah, I think pretty much everyone did. Even when it started not doing well, people (probably myself included) were predicting 40-45m minimum.

mZuzek said:
tak13 said:

haha aren't you tired and others to keep repeating this generalization?Because I'm tired seeing that,it's not just pokemon...

For instance super Mario 3D land and Mario kart 7 pushed more 3DS than pokemon X and Y did...

Just read my post on the same page as that one and you'll understand I wasn't being fully serious.

Forgive me,then dear!:p

I have a problem with generalizations!:P

Especially with this generalization,it really drives me crazy!

Because people knew that the XOne is a new console, while some thought that the Wii U was a peripheral for the Wii

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

IMO I never bought that there were some confusing with the Wii U console. I believe that having the Wii brand on it hurt it more than anything else. Yeah sure, it may have created some confusion but overall, it wasn't the main issue behind Wii U numbers.