By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would Nintendo benifit the most from releasing in China?

Tagged games:

Do you think they'd be more popular than the other 2 there?

Yes 43 44.79%

No 24 25.00%

Possibly 29 30.21%

Total:96

I doubt nintendo would make an impact for mainland chinese. The reality is they never grew up with mario and zelda, they will look at these games like they would do with other types of games who look similiar.
Nintendo almost only made an impact in the first world during nes or snes days, in former communist countries they are even less know.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Soundwave said:
SpokenTruth said:
Soundwave said:

I think Chinese ... they like the violent shooters and what not. 

So...they like playing something that is outright baned?  How exactly are they playing them then?

I'm just going by their tastes in movies ... seems like they basically like the same type of things Americans do. I don't think they're into mascot/family friendly type stuff. I think NBA 2K or a racing game would have more appeal to the average Chinese gamer than most of Nintendo's mascot catalog. The "kawaii" culture that is in Japan doesn't really exist to the same extent in China. 

So...how does that explain how well the DS and Wii did?  If movies are the metric to measure interest in games, those systems should never have done well at all.  Further, 24 out of the top 25 top grossing films in the US are rated PG-13 or under.   If China mirrors that trend, Nintendo should be able to do quite well there (if the government would get the hell out of the way...but that goes for all 3 console makers).

PG-13 movies can still be dark and violent and aimed primarily at teenagers/adults, studios just scale back the violence/sex just far enough so they can get away with a PG-13 rating. Nobody is confusing a PG-13 movie like The Dark Knight for Animal Crossing or Super Mario. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:
China has a restriction on how many games you own per console so the low amount of games the Wii U has would make it the best choice for chinese gamers. Less options is not always bad.

What's your source for that?

Because I don't believe that for a second. When someone goes to a shop to buy a new game do you really expect the people in the shop to ask that person to prove they only have a certain number of games before buying a new one? Sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

There was a thread a couple of days ago. The PS4 is limited to 6 games per person. I am not sure if it applies to all consoles, that's something I pulled out of my ass.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I don't think it would. For one even if a Nintendo system was popular, it would be another drain on manufacturing, as Nintendo has shown, outside of Japan the main branch sucks at supplying when the demand and at time general market trends in their foreign markets. Understandable give the nature of manufacturing but extremely disheartening for those fans born and living outside of Japan.

Even given the proximity of Japan, I doubt the Nintendo would get that much of a boost, short of maybe releasing some unique super hardware like the iQue or whatever they dropped back in the N64/PS1 era, where it is more streaming device then normal home console.

Ruler said:
I doubt nintendo would make an impact for mainland chinese. The reality is they never grew up with mario and zelda, they will look at these games like they would do with other types of games who look similiar.
Nintendo almost only made an impact in the first world during nes or snes days, in former communist countries they are even less know.

GBA = 80 m
NDS = 150 m
Wii= 100 m
3DS=  52 (On its way to +70 m)

Nintendo is the only company that can be irrelevant selling like a beast.