By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The strongest and more expensive console will win this generation, it never happened before.

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

It isn't like their main concern is to please our curiosity

It should be though. My curiosity rivals that of Dr. House. ;)

They should please all our fanatic obsession... why don't they report every million sold and drop the price to peanuts to enhance marketshare...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Torillian said:

You win by having the highest marketshare in the console market for that generation.  That's what everyone else understands winning a console generation to mean.  if the company goes broke winning that generation you can make the debate that it wasn't worth it, but they still would have won that console generation based on the only metric that we have to measure these things by.  

What reason is there to base something on conjecture instead of facts?

He also ignored that GC was 150, a lot cheaper than both PS2 and Xbox and were destroyed in the market... but maybe they had 200 profit per console sold... the logic is very faulty.

A lot cheaper? I didn't realize the difference between $150 & $200 or $100 & $150 was considered alot.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

He also ignored that GC was 150, a lot cheaper than both PS2 and Xbox and were destroyed in the market... but maybe they had 200 profit per console sold... the logic is very faulty.

A lot cheaper? I didn't realize the difference between $150 & $200 or $100 & $150 was considered alot.

Maybe because Xbox and PS2 haven't released for this price and haven't got close to that before GC was already pretty cheap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Maybe because Xbox and PS2 haven't released for this price and haven't got close to that before GC was already pretty cheap.

What are u talking about?

PS2                           Xbox                       Gamecube

Launch-$299          Launch-$299         Launch-$199

May 2002-$199     May 2002-$199     May 2002-$149

May 2003-$179     May 2003-$179     Sept 2003-$99

May 2004-$149     March 2004-$149

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Also of note is that a around 80% of PS2s sold were priced at $199 or less (or the equivalent local price*).

*In Japan in May 2002 the price was 27,800 yen (~$217), in November 2002 it was 24,800 yen (~$202).

In Japan the launch price was 39,800 yen. 

*In the UK in May 2002 the price was £199, in August 2002 it dropped to £169, in October 2003 it dropped to £139.

In the UK the launch price was £299.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Price cut doesn't really matter. The Xbox One still started out as the most expensive console, so no the most expensive console still won't win.

Most powerful though? Yeah, it's the first time but that's not a bad thing. Previous consoles won because they had great games, not because of power. Hopefully when all is said and done we can say that the PS4 won because of great games as well.

Indeed. The PS4 is off to a great start with inFAMOUS: Second Son and BloodBorne; Fez and Helldivers no less. Here's hoping Sony can continue their success.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Gc launched 30% cheaper than the others and pricedroped much faster or you want to pretend it released together and? And the dates you put were when the pricecuts happened or just generic dates? I have trouble believing they all cut prices in the same month all the time.

Besides that WiiU launched 1 year earlier than ps4X1 and 25% / 40% cheaper than them and were decimated nonetheless.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Gc launched 30% cheaper than the others and pricedroped much faster or you want to pretend it released together and? And the dates you put were when the pricecuts happened or just generic dates? I have trouble believing they all cut prices in the same month all the time.

Besides that WiiU launched 1 year earlier than ps4X1 and 25% / 40% cheaper than them and were decimated nonetheless.

It's hard to post links on this phone, but those are the actual dates of their price cuts. It released the same month as Xbox so ur whole, "it price dropped much faster" is false. And what do u mean at the same time all the time? The only time they all received a price cut at the same time was May 2002 when PS2 got a price cut and the others responded. I'm also not sure what ur last sentence has to do with anything that I have said.

Why can't u just admit ur initial statement i quoted was wrong and GC was only $50 cheaper for the majority of its life cycle?

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

It's hard to post links on this phone, but those are the actual dates of their price cuts. It released the same month as Xbox so ur whole, "it price dropped much faster" is false. And what do u mean at the same time all the time? The only time they all received a price cut at the same time was May 2002 when PS2 got a price cut and the others responded. I'm also not sure what ur last sentence has to do with anything that I have said.

Why can't u just admit ur initial statement i quoted was wrong and GC was only $50 cheaper for the majority of its life cycle?

The gap between the launch of ps2 and gc was big so they having the cut at the same time shows gc dropped faster even though being 100 (33%) cheaper. That didn't help it against ps2 and not even against the newcomer Xbox.

And the second line is about WiiU. Because of the claims that it is obvious that if it was much cheaper than others it would outsell them. They lost to x1 even though being 200 (40%) cheaper and x1 coming from hell PR And 1 year later. So it seems Nintendo problem isn't the price of their hw. Selling WiiU for 200 ir even 100 wouldn't make it the best selling ever.

I don't think the 360 won last gen, unless your just talking sales in the US alone.

The PS3 consistently outsold the 360 worldwide year on year, eventually bringing it level with 360 sales even though it was released over a year later. Not to mention the age old rumour that MS included those consoles used to replace the broken ones in RROD fiasco as sales.

The PS3 won in both sales and power, but yes, I concede it was more expensive.