By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The strongest and more expensive console will win this generation, it never happened before.

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

You like to read things that aren't there. PS2 made a lot more profit than the GC, I never said otherwise.

So have Sony won that gen?

They obviously won that home console generation yes. By a landslide.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

So have Sony won that gen?

What about the profits from GBA?

Have they won PS1 gen as well?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

Don't know, Nintendo's first party games sold a lot during the N64 era. And since the PS1 was Sony's first console the costs won't have been low (buying third party support for example).

The GBA made a shit ton of money I'm sure, it sold 80 million units despite having only been 3 years on the market without a succesor (of course sales didn't stop after the DS released, but still). First party Nintendo games also sold a lot and they were cheap and fast to develop.

Nintendo's operating income was higher than the operating income of the Sony division that includes the Playstation brand during that era. Sadly it also includes other things that don't have anything to do with gaming (and may or may not have lost Sony money).

Samus Aran said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Exactly.  The other consoles had trouble not because they were "Too Powerful," but because of other factors.  And for the record, last gen was pretty much a 3-way tie.

Lol, no.

Wii made a lot more profit than the PS3, xbox360 and PSP combined.

And it set the stage for a disastrous follow up.  Yes they made money but at the expense of:

-Having a 2 generation behind online infrastructure (The future of console gaming)

-Alienating 3rd parties

-Abandoning core gamers

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't know, Nintendo's first party games sold a lot during the N64 era. And since the PS1 was Sony's first console the costs won't have been low (buying third party support for example).

The GBA made a shit ton of money I'm sure, it sold 80 million units despite having only been 3 years on the market without a succesor (of course sales didn't stop after the DS released, but still). First party Nintendo games also sold a lot and they were cheap and fast to develop.

Nintendo's operating income was higher than the operating income of the Sony division that includes the Playstation brand during that era. Sadly it also includes other things that don't have anything to do with gaming (and may or may not have lost Sony money).

So by your fair terms haven't them Nintendo won both those gens?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

As has been stated, the Xbox One retains the title of most expensive console this gen (at launch).

PS4 is where it is because of a perfect-storm of good circumstances. They launched the mid-range console with a price right down the middle (with hardware that was slightly more powerful), while Nintendo and Microsoft made some horrible choices during the launches of both systems.

All that said, the BIGGEST thing Sony did this gen (and I'm not sure why this doesn't get more recognition) is that they made a console with the DEVELOPER in mind. Consumers are fickle and don't always really know what they want, and execs are many times out of touch with their core demographic anyways. So Sony went and made a console that was far, far, FAR easier to develop for than their previous hardware.

They brought the devs, the devs brought the customers.

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

It's possible, but I have no hard data to confirm that suspicion.

Sony should make their Playstation division about PS only, so it would be easier for us to compare the profits of said companies. :)

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony should make their Playstation division about PS only, so it would be easier for us to compare the profits of said companies. :)

It isn't like their main concern is to please our curiosity

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

It isn't like their main concern is to please our curiosity

It should be though. My curiosity rivals that of Dr. House. ;)

Ka-pi96 said:
Price cut doesn't really matter. The Xbox One still started out as the most expensive console, so no the most expensive console still won't win.

Most powerful though? Yeah, it's the first time but that's not a bad thing. Previous consoles won because they had great games, not because of power. Hopefully when all is said and done we can say that the PS4 won because of great games as well.

We already know it will. Too many first party games from solid developers are in the works for it not to happen. Plus, we've already got gems like BloodBorne, inFamous: SS, Resgun, etc. This gen is going to be a great one, once again, for PS4. 

Side note: I'm sure it'll be great for everyone, but as an exclusively PS4 user now, I'm very excited for what's ahead. :D

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon