By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Different Would it be "If" PSASBR Fully Copied SSB (KO System) or Actually had a Health Meter? (Sales/Competive Scene/Etc)

naruball said:
Nothing would have changed. Zero. The game was great as it was. Reviewers and gamers were influenced by people who hated it without even trying it. The negative press killed it. It was the cool game to hate just like Knack, The Order and DmC. Sad but true.

All those games had major flaws.

Around the Network

I felt PASBR's KO system was perfect. It definitely had a solid character. The problem was how badly it lacked in overall content. There was no central story mode, only 2 MP modes, no bonus modes, and very limited in unlockable content. The only real replayability came from leveling up individual characters, but you got nothing back for it.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I really don't understand the logic that it couldn't have existed if it copied Smash completely, You have competing brands like CoD/BF, Forza/Gran Turismo, Fifa/PES, Burnout/NFS all of which have been successful and dug out their own share of fans while offering a very similar package to what their rival may already have had on the market. If the first Forza game on the original Xbox had looked at GT3 and thought.... we have to be different to that, we have to do something that isn't a real driving simulator then it probably would have ended up another Cel Damaged or junk title in comparison to the fantastic rival to GT that series is now, it's possible to build and expand on a great title rather than cower away from rivaling it to a point where your game is flawed at it's core because you are staying away from a core mechanic of a competing functional game.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Lawlight said:

BS. Give that same game to Naughty Dog and watch this game sell 5M+.

Compare the bases and its obvious PSASBR didn't stand a chance regardless, had it started on PS2 it would have a better chance.

It's true that it's harder for games to sell on PS consoles because of the number of games that gets released on them, compared to Nintendo consoles but, still, whatever Naughty Dog touches turn to gold and its partially because of their brand name.

So you basically said people would buy anything as long as it is made by Naughty Dog? This just sounds wrong^

But seriously, 5mil+? Thats already hard for a fighter to do, i doubt it even if they made it. 5mil seems like way too much, I think MKX+SFV will have a little hard time reaching that themselves...

Had Naughty Dog made it, it would've most likely been worse but sold better. Nobody on ND has developed a fighting game before; almost all of them started with Uncharted or Jak. The difference would've been that Sony would've pushed it so hard had ND developed it that it could've easily tripled its sales. Let's remember that the same month Sony dropped SuperBot, they started a Super Bowl advertising campaign for GoW: Ascension, a game they sank $60 million into just to develop it. Sony has a clear bias when it comes to their studios. If it's made by ND, SSM, or a spinoff studio of SSM (Ready at Dawn with The Order), it will get a super-push. Hence why they kept up Ascension support after they were already losing millions on the game bombing, while dropping PSAS, a game that by Sony's own word sold more than expected within a few weeks. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Samus Aran said:
naruball said:
Nothing would have changed. Zero. The game was great as it was. Reviewers and gamers were influenced by people who hated it without even trying it. The negative press killed it. It was the cool game to hate just like Knack, The Order and DmC. Sad but true.

All those games had major flaws.

You can say that about any game you personally don't like. Plus, let's not act like plenty of games with huge flaws don't sell well or get massive hype from gamers.

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
tbone51 said:

So you basically said people would buy anything as long as it is made by Naughty Dog? This just sounds wrong^

But seriously, 5mil+? Thats already hard for a fighter to do, i doubt it even if they made it. 5mil seems like way too much, I think MKX+SFV will have a little hard time reaching that themselves...

Had Naughty Dog made it, it would've most likely been worse but sold better. Nobody on ND has developed a fighting game before; almost all of them started with Uncharted or Jak. The difference would've been that Sony would've pushed it so hard had ND developed it that it could've easily tripled its sales. Let's remember that the same month Sony dropped SuperBot, they started a Super Bowl advertising campaign for GoW: Ascension, a game they sank $60 million into just to develop it. Sony has a clear bias when it comes to their studios. If it's made by ND, SSM, or a spinoff studio of SSM (Ready at Dawn with The Order), it will get a super-push. Hence why they kept up Ascension support after they were already losing millions on the game bombing, while dropping PSAS, a game that by Sony's own word sold more than expected within a few weeks. 

Wait, was it an actual super bowl commercial or a commercial for those watching it from a website or sth? I just remember reading about a Sony game getting a Superbowl, though not real Superbowl ad, if that makes any sense.

It simply didn't have the star power of Smash, which is part of that game's appeal. Sorry, but Sony's characters just don't have the same star power as the likes of Mario or Link, and when I think of characters that represent the PlayStation brand I think more along the likes of Cloud or Sephiroth.

For my part, I think they should have made a 3-D fighting game a la Power Stone instead of a straight-up take on Smash. That would have helped it stand out a bit more.

No. It should be novel like God of Wars multiplayer. Just simplify it and you have a winner.

tbone51 said:

How Different Would it be "If" PSASBR Fully Copied SSB (KO System) or Actually had a Health Meter? (Sales/Competive Scene/Etc)

Going to a Fighting Tournament last night, a huge discussion along with SF+SSB players, we were talking about PSASBR. Actually saying why it didnt blow up at all and 90% of us all agreed it was the "KO System" in the game itself. Talking more into the competitive scene of course.

Remember we aren't talking about Roster/etc, just the Supers killing system. (only way to net KO's)

Seemed as some were actually saying the game was indeed fun, but it was too casual/luck base (because of the super system)and didn't catch on well. Even 1 of the organizers had ask if PSASBR when released should throw a tourney which many didn't want at all (his direct words).

Thoughts? If At least a Health meter was present as an alternative (SSB has one), would it be dratically different?

Imo Saleswise? No but definitely Competitive. As for those that dunno, Competitive doesn't have to be a game where its super popular (though it helps) as examples such as Guilty Gear + Persona Ultimax (games that aren't million sellers)

I couldn't agree more that All Stars should have just shamelessly copied SSB.  I DON'T CARE!!!  Just copy the KO system!

Also it was missing many notable Playstation characters that were direly needed because they weren't white guys with guns lol:

Spyro, Crash, Jack n Daxter, Patapon, Rayman, and more.  Again - I don't care how hard it would have been to secure those IP's it just has to happen for the game to work.

ganoncrotch said:
I really don't understand the logic that it couldn't have existed if it copied Smash completely, You have competing brands like CoD/BF, Forza/Gran Turismo, Fifa/PES, Burnout/NFS all of which have been successful and dug out their own share of fans while offering a very similar package to what their rival may already have had on the market. If the first Forza game on the original Xbox had looked at GT3 and thought.... we have to be different to that, we have to do something that isn't a real driving simulator then it probably would have ended up another Cel Damaged or junk title in comparison to the fantastic rival to GT that series is now, it's possible to build and expand on a great title rather than cower away from rivaling it to a point where your game is flawed at it's core because you are staying away from a core mechanic of a competing functional game.

Bingo!