By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
curl-6 said:
Hiku said:
I'm trying to figure out what your next topic is going to be.

"WiiU has the most mature library ever, because Bayonetta"?

Don't be absursd, Xbox One has the most mature library ever, because of  Sunset Overdrive.

Are you insanse? The PS4 has a more mature system, because it has 13 year old lesbians!

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Around the Network

I'm an Xbox fan and the 360 is the reason why.

In the 6th gen, I owned everything except an Xbox. Somewhere between 2001 and 2007, my opinion changed.  It damn sure wasn't brand loyalty. The games played a major part but the console and the online--the evolution of what the thing could do is what won me over.

Playing Uno online at night with other people (often hot women who didn't mind showing some skin), one vs 100, the new dashboard, Netflix, Kinect--it's like they kept finding more and more power to unlock. To this day, I still have days where the console plays Last.FM or I Heart Radio. It wasn't about console wars. The console just managed to weasel itself into my life in a way the other consoles never could. Best console ever--even though mine broke twice.

snes closely followed by gamecube

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

PS4 is the absolute best engineered console to date, it's the fastest games console to date, has the most efficient design, using one APU and one pool of very fast memory, with ample storage capacity for it's design.

The CPU is plenty for the GPU in the system.
People that argue differently forget or just plain don't realize that the GPU is the most capable general math processor to date.
As far as gaming is concerned the GPU can handle AI, Physics and Audio alongside graphics and PS4's is the most capable design of any console to date, in all of these areas.

From a reliability POV I've not heard of any PS4's failing (obviously there must be some, just from a manufacturing efficiency POV), it's made by the same company as any modern console, namely Foxconn, they have business from all console platform holders right now, so reliability should be equal across all of those platforms.

Looking at the performance of hardware, ease of development, reliability I think PS4 is unquestionably the best engineered console too date.

d21lewis said:

In the 6th gen, I owned everything except an Xbox. Somewhere between 2001 and 2007, my opinion changed.  It damn sure wasn't brand loyalty. The games played a major part but the console and the online--the evolution of what the thing could do is what won me over.

Playing Uno online at night with other people (often hot women who didn't mind showing some skin), one vs 100, the new dashboard, Netflix, Kinect--it's like they kept finding more and more power to unlock. To this day, I still have days where the console plays Last.FM or I Heart Radio. It wasn't about console wars. The console just managed to weasel itself into my life in a way the other consoles never could. Best console ever--even though mine broke twice.

Your comments would be fine if the topic was my "favourite console" but alas it's best engineered console.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Not sure how a console with a 54% failure rate in its first 3 years can be considered the best engineered console ever but to each their own.

I remember my friend bought Halo 3 and because he moved the xbox 360 with Halo 3 in it the game was destroyed because it was scratched so badly. He only had the game for like a week and had to buy another one lol. Also my 360 red ringed so nah it wasn't too reliable.

how could anyone ever say the 360 was designed that well with all of the 'red rings of death'. seems crazy to me

mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

Your comments would be fine if the topic was my "favourite console" but alas it's best engineered console.

I thought my post was within the peremeters of the OP.  The Xbox started off in 2005 with a certain set of abilities and over time, it was able to evolve based solely on what was in the box.  The console was a mutant, even able to do tricks the PS3 couldn't even though it released a year earlier (longer or shorter depending on who you ask and what the topic is).  I personally was amazed by it.  Will the PS4 and Xbox One evolve just as much before the gen ends? 

If it's not what the OP is about, then forgive me.  I acknowledge the Xbox 360's poor build quality but they thing was able to perform magic.  It was future-proof!

Too many engineering issues for consideration as the "Best Engineered Console Ever" due to design flaws, build problems, quality control failures, etc. to say nothing of the early hardware omissions (forgivable given the 2005 initial release date).

I can see how one might think this if they had adopted the XB360 as a gaming platform somewhere between the 3rd and 4th years on the market after all those engineering failures had been addressed (and they were), but this opinion is a hard sell for anyone who went through the process of multiple replacements or refurbs before that happened.