By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time...

Tagged games:

I remember when I played it.. I knew it was going to be a good game, but I never imagined it would become one of my favs of all time. 180 hours of playind and still can do somethings in it.

Enjoy it!

Around the Network

Also starting to play the game but I'm still at colony 9 and finishing several side quests.

I just finished the game a few months ago. I LOVED IT. This was my first real RPG and it took me quite a while to get the hang of it. There are a few things I wish I had done differently. First of all, for most of the game I used Shulk as the party leader, with Reyn and Sharla in the party. Although you could probably complete the whole game like this, you miss out on all the "one liners" the other characters say that are pretty funny and often revealing. This also helps to not get bored with the same lines being said over and over. Secondly, I did not put any effort into building affinity between characters until late in the game, and this caused me to miss many of the "Heart-to-Heart" moments. Last, I learned too late in the game that you do not need Shulk for every boss battle. In a few cases (for me) sticking with Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban caused me to get destroyed again and again. Switching to an all girl team once allowed me to defeat the boss, or other high level monster, quickly and relatively easily. Even when my team is saying stuff like "I guess we have no choice", or "Are you trying to get us killed?" because the monster level was higher than the party members, I could still often take them down with the right choice of characters.
I am sure this is stating the obvious for most people, but I thought I would put in my two cents of advice anyhow.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

This game is brilliant so far. I am now about 20 hours in and it reminds me of Xenogears so much. That high entia cathedral place reminds me of solaris so much! If u havent played Xenogears do so soon, pretty sure it's on PSN. This game, along with Ni No Kuni, renewed my spark and faith in the JRPG genre. It is truly a treat. Usually I get a game and beat it as soon as I can but with this, I feel that I need to enjoy it over time, it's like a REALLY good dessert. I hope u enjoy it as much as I am.

for ppl who said "the plot is great " in the first 20 hours..
last 15 hours of the game will blow your mind :)
this is a masterpiece.

sry for my bad english - it is not my 1st language

Around the Network

Xenoblade is so amazing, easily in my top 5 ever. The world just absorbs you, it's so immersive and beautiful and I loved the plot, the battle system, the characters, the soundtrack, everything.

Man, I wish I could play this game for the first time again. Although I think I've been enjoying it more and more as time passes. Xenoblade is a fine wine.

Vodacixi said:
You think the plot is great? Right now, it's just a story about revenge. Just wait till the last segment of the game and you'll see what is a great plot.

THIS.

Also, take a look at the skill trees and how the affinity chart works. one of the few flaws of the game is that the tutorials for those things are too cramped together and it's overwhelming. Because of that, the first time I played I ignored those things for a while. Don't do that.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Some years ago, I was a huge fan of RPGs. I love games like Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Breath of Fire 2, etc. But in the last 3 or 4 years, I haven't played a single game of this genre (Except South Park: The Stick of Truth, but mainly because of the humour).

I've tried games like Final Fantasy X (Didn't liked it) and Final Fantasy XII (Good gameplay, but didn't went very far). I don't know why, but I've got tired of RPGs. Until last week, when I started Xenoblade Chronicles.

My save has something around 8 hours. I'm up to Colony 6, with some sidequests cleared in the way. I'm in love with everything in this game. The plot looks great so far, the soundtrack is beautiful, and characters like Shulk and Dunban are awesome. Also I really like how the game lets you explore the vast world while you get experience from it.

The battles are very fast and breathtaking, even when you are fighting a regular enemy in the field. Of course, the boss battles are way more exciting though. I've had a bit of trouble learning some of the battle and system mechanics, but overall, it's nothing very hard.

I'm really glad that I found some time and motivation to start Xenoblade Chronicles. It's not only one an awesome RPG, but it's also one of the best games I've played in the last years.

I'm having the same mindest as you. Like you, last rpg i played was final fantasy 13, and ugh...I've actually gotten more into classic rpgs like xenogears (favorite all time) and golden sun on wii-u. Xenoblade is a very fresh rpg to me, and there's nothing at the moment i don't like about it. 

Materia-Blade said:
THIS.

Also, take a look at the skill trees and how the affinity chart works. one of the few flaws of the game is that the tutorials for those things are too cramped together and it's overwhelming. Because of that, the first time I played I ignored those things for a while. Don't do that.

That's literally my only complaint with the game so far. I truly didn't bother digesting that information because it was so rapid fire, and I wanted to move on. Plus I learn through experience anyways. 

Thankfully, I think I have the hang of things now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread