By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is It Possible for 3DS to Reach 75mil Lifetime?

Captain_Tom said:
tbone51 said:

Curious whats your estimate?

I think it'll be short.. as of now 68mil-72mil

Let me check.... Well yeah by the charts I am guessing 65-70m tops so I agree with you.  I just really think sales are about to start falling off a cliff next year.

I dont think anybody doubts you. This year is the decisive year imo. Will it be flat YoY WW? Slightly up? Down? Its yet to be seen!

Around the Network

Oooh, that's a stretch. It's possible, but unlikely. The 3DS is starting to slow down now, and a successor could be coming up in a year or 2.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I think this year is pivotal for the 3DS. Its decline in 2014 was quite steep, if it rebounds this year with a substantial increase in sales then yes. If it remains stagnant or declines further then no. I don't think Nintendo consoles have that longevity as Sony do.

Cloudman said:
Oooh, that's a stretch. It's possible, but unlikely. The 3DS is starting to slow down now, and a successor could be coming up in a year or 2.

Yup this too. If a new console releases next year then it can possibly finish at 65m.

Our predictions about 3DS lifetime sales 19 months ago...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=167730&page=1

↓↓↓ User's Predictions ↓↓↓

165mil⇒ KingdomHeartsFan
165mil⇒ MohammadBadir
160mil⇒ N-Magic
145mil⇒ Zelhawks37
145mil⇒ NobleTeam360
137,365,072⇒ Busted
130mil⇒ leyendax69
130mil⇒ Matt_182
125mil⇒ Ponyless
125mil⇒ mii-gamer
122mil⇒ Eikichi134
121mil⇒ Tbone51
120mil⇒ DucksUnlimited
120mil⇒ sethnintendo
120mil⇒ Leadified
120mil⇒ FarleyMcFirefly
118,690,000= S.Peelman
117mil⇒ ktay95
116mil⇒ Yoyone
115mil⇒ Salnax
113.8mil⇒ Maris
113.5mil⇒ the_dengle
112mil⇒ BasilZero
110mil⇒ Cubedramirez
110mil⇒ Zorg1000
110mil⇒ killerzX
110mil⇒ melbye
104,563,888⇒ shakarak
101mil⇒ ironmanDX
100mil⇒ Cj2i3
100mil⇒ MegaDrive08
99mil⇒ Chris1596
93mil⇒ Conegamer
91mil⇒ se7en7thre3
90mil⇒ betacon
90mil⇒ SnakeDrake
88mil⇒ RCTjunkie
86mil⇒ Turkish
82mil⇒ Mummelmann
81mil⇒ Yonyx

I won!  xDD

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
I think this year is pivotal for the 3DS. Its decline in 2014 was quite steep, if it rebounds this year with a substantial increase in sales then yes. If it remains stagnant or declines further then no. I don't think Nintendo consoles have that longevity as Sony do.

Seriously,I'm seeing people acting like if NX is a handheld(it will come  in the holidays 2016 at the earliest),3DS will stop selling(For god's sake)...DS sold 14m in 2011-2012-2013,three years of 3DS lifetime and don't say that it had the room becauase 3DS was weaker,in the beginning it was stronger than ds,well when the hyper-seller Ds lite came  to the comparison,things sadly but expectedly changed!

3DS received a revision recently,that has perfomed something more than very well so far.

And what about the future price cuts,it's not that hard to cut the price  of 3DS while it has a 100$ manufacturing cost,its price can go really low...3DS will keep selling after it's successor release!

tbone51 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

2015: 12,500,000

2016: 8,000,000

2017: 5,000,000

2018: 2,500,000

Another millions after that...

Your numbers are too high, it might be up YoY now, but 3DS in japan is looking at 2mil-2.25mil Sold this year, Even if US+Europe is up YoY, it wont be close unless some miraculous exclusive comes into the holidays for N3ds.

You said about 3mil Sold US (though i think 2.2mil is a goos estimate), so about 4mil Shipped there. Europe is less so lets say 3mil shipped there. 7mil So far and though Japan has about 2mil sold, the shipped number will be about of that(2mil) or less since japan had N3ds shipped last year.

With rest of the world an optimistic look is already 10mil, but hey i hope it happens!

High but at least more realictic/justified than your low prediction...

Tbone with 8%(-63k) yoy down doesn't really help this expectation  for Japan... It's too early to set it there,why don't you wait or set it higher,you are entitled to revise it later if things get deteriorated...

You are afraid of the 11 oct 2015- December 27 2015,a period which in 2014 had New 3ds effect/launch week but also there was a period of one month and half with a harmful effect due to the anticipation of the new model...

I think 3DS will outpace that period,also 3DS at most so far was flat and yoy up,like recently in the slow weeks of april,no need to be so pessimistic yet...(The job of New 3ds for Japan is different than in the west,it's for keeping it flat or a little bit higher,because in Japan the adressable market is probably nearly reached,with almost 19m units sold,there isn't the same space for growth like in the west with the bigger markets.

Also,3DS is currently 80% yoy up in the USA and something similar must happens in the Europe,so you can be moderately optimistic...

You know that New 3ds announcement in Japan had hurted the sales in the west for obvious reasons,you hadn't noticed that?What do you think,3DS after the New 3ds release in the west,it won't smash the way more harmed sales of  late august-December 2014 because of no-release of New 3ds in the west?

tak13 said:
kopstudent89 said:

Seriously,I'm seeing people acting like if NX is a handheld(it will come  in the holidays 2016 at the earliest),3DS will stop selling(For god's sake)...DS sold 14m in 2011-2012-2013,three years of 3DS lifetime and don't say that it had the room becauase 3DS was weaker,in the beginning it was stronger than ds,well when the hyper-seller Ds lite came  to the comparison,things sadly but expectedly changed!

3DS received a revision recently,that has perfomed something more than very well so far.

And what about the future price cuts,it's not that hard to cut the price  of 3DS while it has a 100$ manufacturing cost,its price can go really low...3DS will keep selling after it's successor release!

But DS was selling at 20m+ per annum consistently until the year before the 3DS released (2010). Last year the 3DS sold less than 10m. It won't hold up as much as the DS!

kopstudent89 said:
tak13 said:

But DS was selling at 20m+ per annum consistently until the year before the 3DS released (2010). Last year the 3DS sold less than 10m. It won't hold up as much as the DS!

Did I say that?I don't think so,I criticize the fact that some people acting like 3DS will stop selling when NX(if it's a handheld) will come...

Honestly, next year's line-up seems better.

Yo-kai Watch (in the West), Yo-kai Watch 3 (probably in Japan), Monster Hunter Stories (Japan only so far), Fire Emblem if (in the West), new Pokémon game (it's Pokémon's 20 year anniversary next year, they will have a game next year)