By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X "Story Trailer"

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

That's one extreme outlier whose claims other Nintendo fans cringe at.

The point still stands. Those things happen. And they happen often. 

People think they have it worse because they react/get upset when it happens to them or their side of the gaming fandom, but they don't when it happens to the others. 

I'm not disagreeing that downplaying occurs on all sides.

I'm just saying, the XCX/Witcher 3 claim isn't any more absurd than the frequent claims it has "PS2 characters". All allegiances aside, XCX gets far more downplaying than average, even for an exclusive.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

That's one extreme outlier whose claims other Nintendo fans cringe at.

People think they have it worse because they react/get upset when it happens to them or their side of the gaming fandom, but they don't when it happens to the others. They're not bothered by all the trolling and baiting comments made against the other companies in the way they are when it's their favourite company/console that gets targetted.

You do need to account for raw math though.  Sony and Xbox fandoms are currently far larger.  Therefore it is safe to assume a greater number of trolls come after Nintendo even though the ration of nontrolls to trolls is likely the same across the board.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

People think they have it worse because they react/get upset when it happens to them or their side of the gaming fandom, but they don't when it happens to the others. 

I'm not disagreeing that downplaying occurs on all sides.

I'm just saying, the XCX/Witcher 3 claim isn't any more absurd than the frequent claims it has "PS2 characters". All allegiances aside, XCX gets far more downplaying than average, even for an exclusive.

I don't know. I think nobody downplays the game as such. There aren't many people here saying the game looks like a bad game. They pinpoint the lackluster
visuals. But really, some people think the game is just fine the way it looks. They just accept that it is what it is. 

Some other people think it's lacking, visually, and I fall in that group. There are certain things I feel are a little disappointing. But I don't feel I am downplaying the game just because I wish it would have looked better. It's still a game I'm very hyped for and I can't wait for the XCX Direct later today.

But those graphics issues people point out, they're there. No question about it. I think it's when people only focus on those things and repeat them ad-nauseum in every thread about the game that it starts being a problem behaviour. 

Nuvendil said:
Hynad said:

People think they have it worse because they react/get upset when it happens to them or their side of the gaming fandom, but they don't when it happens to the others. They're not bothered by all the trolling and baiting comments made against the other companies in the way they are when it's their favourite company/console that gets targetted.

You do need to account for raw math though.  Sony and Xbox fandoms are currently far larger.  Therefore it is safe to assume a greater number of trolls come after Nintendo even though the ration of nontrolls to trolls is likely the same across the board.

The XBox fans aren't really all that trollish around the forums and they mostly keep things in their "Empire" thread. Sony and Nintendo fans are pretty much the most active fanbases. And a quick look at polls will show you that the Nintendo side is usually the most vocal.

Hynad said:

But those graphics issues people point out, they're there. No question about it. I think it's when people only focus on those things and repeat them ad-nauseum in every thread about the game that it starts being a problem behaviour. 

Yeah, that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about.

Fair criticism is completely fine. When I say "downplaying" I mean more the persistent stealth trolling of a game over numerous threads and an extended period of time. The intensity matters too. For example, if someone were to say they hate the character designs, that's cool, but calling them "PS2 graphics" is taking it a bit far.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Nuvendil said:

The XBox fans aren't really all that trollish around the forums and they mostly keep things in their "Empire" thread. Sony and Nintendo fans are pretty much the most active fanbases. And a quick look at polls will show you that the Nintendo side is usually the most vocal.

I was more referring to the broader internet.  Also, voting in polls is not the same as posting in threads.  One is not representative of activity or vocalness in the other.  Also, while there are graphical issues, the statement "XCX has PS2 graphics" is an objectively disprovable statement that has nevertheless been a major topic multiple times in the past around the net and yes, on these forums.  That's what curl is referring to as trolling and downplaying.  And it does happen.  Often.  Both here and elsewhere.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

Yeah, that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about.

Fair criticism is completely fine. When I say "downplaying" I mean more the persistent stealth trolling of a game over numerous threads and an extended period of time. The intensity matters too. For example, if someone were to say they hate the character designs, that's cool, but calling them "PS2 graphics" is taking it a bit far.

We're on the same page.

I get annoyed the same when someone say things like: "When is Sony going to focus on gameplay instead of graphics?", and people complaining about a 720p resolution for a Wii-U game, or complain that it's "yet an other game from the same franchise".

It's annoying. It achieves nothing, and it gets brought up over and over again as if those people have nothing better to contribute. 

Nuvendil said:
Hynad said:

I was more referring to the broader internet.  Also, voting in polls is not the same as posting in threads.  One is not representative of activity or vocalness in the other.  Also, while there are graphical issues, the statement "XCX has PS2 character models" is an objectively disprovable statement that has nevertheless been a major topic multiple times in the past around the net and yes, on these forums.  

What happens on the rest of the internet doesn't translate proportionally to what happens here either.

And the people responsible for the derailing and trolling problems are usually the same 5-10 from each sides. 

Accordingly, the statement "Playstation is all about graphics, no gameplay" is also objectively disprovable yet has been a major topic multiple times in the past, ever since games on the PS3 started to look very good.