By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why cant we just have Religion and Atheism live in Harmony?

Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I think that atheists don't have rights that are equal to religion in general. 

Those rights being?

Easy question to ask but not easy to answer. Hmmm. Protection against discrimination would be the easiest to point out. Atheists are the least protected compared to religion in the states or probably most places. For example, atheists have little chances as politicians in the united states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

I shouldn't need to get into anymore explanation on that at least. I'm sure I could dig other rights but I don't have time to keep at this.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Those rights being?

Easy question to ask but not easy to answer. Hmmm. Protection against discrimination would be the easiest to point out. Atheists are the least protected compared to religion in the states or probably most places. For example, atheists have little chances as politicians in the united states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

I shouldn't need to get into anymore explanation on that at least. I'm sure I could dig other rights but I don't have time to keep at this.

That doesn't really work. 'protection from discrimination' isn't a right for anyone. And using politicians as an example doesn't work either. People vote against politicians for plenty of stupid reasons. I'm sure you wouldn't find ultra christian voters voting for a muslim candidate would you? So clearly that discrimination happens against religious people as well, they aren't protected from it.

They are protected legally more so than any other group. Try to deny service to someone because of their religion and see how that turns out.

SlayerRondo said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
SlayerRondo said:
We can and do live side by side in many cases.

But if by side by side you mean atheist respecting your religion then I would have to disagree.

No matter how placid a religion may be, wrong is still wrong.

I respect people to much to pretend to respect some of the non sense they believe.

Lol. I guess you just fucking know everything then, don't ya?

First off all, is there a need to resort to swearing as it just reflects badly on you.

Secondly, I certainly never claimed to know everything anywhere in my comment. I have never seen or heard evidence for the existence of god that was even remotely compelling and I have no problem telling people that.

I would be showing less respect to people if I said I respect their beliefs when I clearly don't.

Why must we cower away from having an honest discussion over our belief's?

Lol. You didn't say it, but it is pretty obvious that you think you know a great deal more than you actually do. Truth is, you and I are inconsequential to this universe. We know nothing about it and we won't be obtaining any answers about it any time soon. It's cocky as shit to think the way you do, because in reality, you and I know basically zilch about how this world came to being.

I'm going out of order, but I always swear in my posts/everyday language. I am not resorting to anything. So, DO NOT tell me that it reflects badly on my person, because I don't give a flying monkey dick about your opinion on that topic.

Next, you're actually wrong on your third point. It is more disrespectful to not respect someone's beliefs than it is to respect them. It's not possible to show more respect by not respecting. That makes absolutely no sense. And I'm not saying you have to agree with any religion, you just have to respect their beliefs. I don't agree with atheism, but I certainly respect your belief, or lack thereof, as I am a man of science. Notice how I haven't told you that you're wrong, yet you have told me I am and spat in my face while doing it.

Lastly, we can't have a good discussion about religion if you're going to post that religion is "wrong" and "nonsense".

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
SlayerRondo said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
SlayerRondo said:
We can and do live side by side in many cases.

But if by side by side you mean atheist respecting your religion then I would have to disagree.

No matter how placid a religion may be, wrong is still wrong.

I respect people to much to pretend to respect some of the non sense they believe.

Lol. I guess you just fucking know everything then, don't ya?

First off all, is there a need to resort to swearing as it just reflects badly on you.

Secondly, I certainly never claimed to know everything anywhere in my comment. I have never seen or heard evidence for the existence of god that was even remotely compelling and I have no problem telling people that.

I would be showing less respect to people if I said I respect their beliefs when I clearly don't.

Why must we cower away from having an honest discussion over our belief's?

Lol. You didn't say it, but it is pretty obvious that you think you know a great deal more than you actually do. Truth is, you and I are inconsequential to this universe. We know nothing about it and we won't be obtaining any answers about it any time soon. It's cocky as shit to think the way you do, because in reality, you and I know basically zilch about how this world came to being.

I'm going out of order, but I always swear in my posts/everyday language. I am not resorting to anything. So, DO NOT tell me that it reflects badly on my person, because I don't give a flying monkey dick about your opinion on that topic.

Next, you're actually wrong on your third point. It is more disrespectful to not respect someone's beliefs than it is to respect them. It's not possible to show more respect by not respecting. That makes absolutely no sense. And I'm not saying you have to agree with any religion, you just have to respect their beliefs. I don't agree with atheism, but I certainly respect your belief, or lack thereof, as I am a man of science. Notice how I haven't told you that you're wrong, yet you have told me I am and spat in my face while doing it.

Lastly, we can't have a good discussion about religion if you're going to post that religion is "wrong" and "nonsense".

It is pretty obvious that I think I know more than I actually do, if that were not the case I would have to be right about everything. And how is it cocky to think that I may be right on something and feel confident to express that to someone whom I think is wrong?

And while you may not care about my opinion on how swearing in your post that's fine, I will still think less of you for it.

And my point about respecting beliefs was that you either respect it or you don't, lying to a person about that is dishonest and clearly disrespectfull to the person your lying to. I also don;t understand why idea's need respect as well as people. And if you don't agree with the atheist view that there is no reason to belief in a god then I don't think you should respect that belief, and how can you not think it's wrong?

I take no offense at being told I am wrong and what I believe/don't believe is nonsense and respect someone for being honest with me about it.

And as to your last point, I think most of the discussion's we have on VGChartz are about each of us thinking were right and others are wrong.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

kinisking said:
Naum said:

Beacuse unlike religion "we" atheists doesn't try and force our "belief" or the lack thereoff on others nor do we start wars beacuse of it.

Biggest load of bullshit I've heard in my life. I get called ignorant, stupid and so forth just because I believe in a god. Atheists have been forcing their beliefs on people just as much as religious people 

People calling you ignorant and stupid is not forcing their beliefs on you or anyone else.

However, making laws based on your religion (banning gay marraige, contraception coverage, etc.) is forcing it on other people.  Athiests making sure this doesn't happen is the opposite of forcing beliefs on people.  So you couldn't be more wrong.

Around the Network

Religion is all about faith - faith is beneficial to society
organized religion is a control mechanisms - which is very costly and a great burden on society
just my two cents

whatever said:
kinisking said:

Biggest load of bullshit I've heard in my life. I get called ignorant, stupid and so forth just because I believe in a god. Atheists have been forcing their beliefs on people just as much as religious people 

People calling you ignorant and stupid is not forcing their beliefs on you or anyone else.

However, making laws based on your religion (banning gay marraige, contraception coverage, etc.) is forcing it on other people.  Athiests making sure this doesn't happen is the opposite of forcing beliefs on people.  So you couldn't be more wrong.

What makes you think that atheists are the only ones against these laws?

John 15:19 sums it up: "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Mr_No said:
whatever said:
kinisking said:

What makes you think that atheists are the only ones against these laws?

I don't think that at all.  I was just pointing out that when an Atheist tries to prevent such laws from being made it is not "forcing their beliefs" on anyone as some religious people seem to believe.

OfficerRaichu15 said:

I live in a town with plenty of religous and atheist.

We dont go around arguing the matter as we all believe God/yourself gave you the choice to chose either way.

Why cant both live hand in hand?

In before

cause the religous nuts

but they are dying out anyway and a new breed of casual religous is coming(like me(ones who arent stuck in the past).

I have to ask... I often hear people talking about "moderate" religion... If your just going to be casual about religion then what exactly is the point? If religion is not something you are going to take seriously then why bother with it in the first place?? Do you get brownie points in heaven for being casually religious? 

And if you are a follower of one of the Abrahamic religions then how are you not stuck in the past? As far as I know those texts haven't been updated in centuries.