By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best video game endings (Please use spoiler tags)

Tagged games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg67XggeraM

POrtal 2 cuz feelings

Around the Network

The ones I can think of: (Order is not important)

· Deadly Premonition: Not the ending ending itself, and I mean by that the sequence right before the credits; I'm talking about the revelation that defines Francis persona, uncovers the real criminal, faces him and has to say goodbye to all the victims during the events of the game, on which later the townsfolk will comment about it. 

· Dragon's Dogma: For a game with such a standard, run-of-the-mill plot, Capcom actually came up with such a well-writen ending that it took me by surprise, and it gave an epic spin to the foundation of the game itself. This ending stuck with me for a long time.

· Metal Gear Solid 4: maybe it took too damn long (it is the longest sequence in a videogame ever conceived, according to Guiness Record), but goddamnit it made me feel both nostalgic and sad, and it gets a special commendation for that.

· Metro: Last Light: While not as spectacular as other endings, being pardoned for my sins in the previous game was a beautiful moment between to different species that once hated each other.

· Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations and its bitersweet coffees.

· Killer7: Not the post-credits ending. I'm talking about the reveal that shows you were the killer of your other personalities all along.

· Silent Hill 2: almost every ending here always leave me devastated. Especially mention to the In Water ending, which I guess it is the one most players get the first time playing.

I'll think of more later.

-Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Transistor
-The Last of Us
-Final Fantasy X
-Persona 3: The Answer

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (Sora) and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Come on, no one hear who said 999 ? It's one of the best ending i could see these last years.

And a few others games :

Valkyrie profile (with the best ending, i really liked it)

Metal gear solid 3 (i don't even need to say why) and same for the 4.

Danganronpa 2, totally didn't expected this ending/last chapter.

And probably others.

Around the Network

Portal because of that epic song. :P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Great, looks like I need to finish Xenoblade just to see how amazing that game's ending will be.

Anyways, I really liked the endings for the following games.

-Metro 2033 (Both Endings)

-Bioshock Infinite

-Portal 2

-Mega Man 9

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Number one with a bullet, Silent Hill 2-the dog ending.  The rest:

God of War

Up until Kratos' apotheosis at least.  If it were left at him dying after jumping from the cliff it would have been my greatest ending of all time, a true tragedy, but the franchise was too strong to just let die of course. 

Mega-man Legends

There's nothing too special about it really, but I really enjoyed the freedom of running around the Apple Market and talking to all characters you got to know along the way, bringing a close to their little side stories and wishing you well on your adventures.

Link's Awakening

Starts off with that contrived 'twas but a dream' bullshit, but then to see that the wind fish was real and that the friends Link left on that island were still around in some way, shape or form.

Metal Gear Solid 3

The Boss is a true patriot.

ReimTime said:

You may ask why I picked all those bittersweet endings and not any happy ones. Maybe it's because they are more memorable, or maybe because I've seen an over-saturation? I hope you guys can bear with me here, but another reason is because of how I relate to them. I like this community, and this is a story I have shared many times before, so I feel comfortable sharing it again.

When I was 14, I found out my father had terminal brain cancer. My Grandma and Grandpa died in the same year, so you could sarcastically say I got two chances to prepare for the inevitable day, but it only made it harder. It shook my family to the core, seeing the strongest man in my life fade away. He was my Boss; my mentor. He didn't miraculously recover after I found some mysterious space rock or something, he just gradually deteriorated until he inevitably passed away. I couldn't fight 16 magical beasts to bring him back either; he was just gone. After he died my accomplishments felt worthless. He did not live to see my valedictorian speech at graduation, or my first college ball game. Why should I feel proud, when the biggest reason I pushed for those things was gone?

That's why I like what these ending's portray. Life isn't fair at all, it really is just a fleeting dream. Sometimes people close to you die, or leave your life for reasons you do not understand, and there is nothing you can do to stop it from happening. You can't bring them back either, so you try to carry their legacy, and stand tall instead of dwelling on how unfair it may be. And you know what? I have grown to become ok with that. None of those characters just rolled over when they were faced with death and adversity. Like Snake, I gave a silent salute to my father and mentor, and I continue to try to make him proud. Life isn't fair and loss does hurt, but no matter what, there will always be something to fight for. He was strong up until he was gone, and I honor him by doing the same.

Wow man, made my heart hurt reading it, but thanks for sharing. Sounds like your dad left an awesome legacy and you're doing a great job of carrying that on. 

OP, my favorite endings are the ones that struck me emotionally or I connect with great years in my life. So any of the Zelda games, the ending to Illusion of Gaia (I bawl like a bitch every time), and The Last of Us. 

I also love the endings to some old NES games like Ninja Gaiden and the Mega Mans because of their insane difficulty. It feels like such an accomplishment to beat them. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

bigtakilla said:
Xenoblade Chronicles! That's the way a video game should freaking end! The opening is also one of the best openings of all time! And the game itself! Holy cow, so much to explore and customize!

Let's face it, it's one of the greatest games ever created.

I agree. Great ways to start and end a story.