By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft claims 17.7 million global installed base

mrstickball said:
It's amazing that one pro-MS article gets ragged on by Auron and others...I'm getting a little tired of everyone jumping on the "Xbot" train when there aren't any of the sort here....

But I do tend to think that MS is talking actual install base. As said by others, MS can easily figure out their install base.

Users connected on live (as of today) / historical (or most recent confirmed) ratio of XBL users to units sold = instal base.

It's not that hard folks. MS knows exactly how many people, to the tee, of people on XBL. They know how that plays into their actual install base. Is it any wonder they can comment on the install base and *gasp* be right?

Sure if they factor in what they know about failure rates as well.  But they clearly did not factor that in. While many replaced their units there were, especially before they admitted to the problem, many who had to re-purchase their 360s anew and some who just decided not to bother with it anymore at all.

If they're saying this is sold to consumers it sounds right to me.  But I have a hard time buying that this is even close to the actual installed base.   

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

The term "install base" is a term used to describe the number of a given product in the hands of users -- generally technical products in nature. If they used "installed base", they mean in users hands -- not in stores. Simple as that.

Keep in mind that MS pays a royal sum for NPD analysis and I'm sure they get data from Europe and Asia as well. They, more than anyone, would have the closest "install base" number. Factor in that they KNOW for certain how many they have manufactured and can get a pretty darn close idea as to how many are in the channel, they will certainly be able to glean a pretty darn accurate install base number.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

VGCHARTZ:JAN.-PS3-248,402 X360-318,035 NPD:PS3-260 000 X360-200 000 ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Who cares, it's close enough. And besides, I'm sure VGC doesn't track every single unit sold.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

What's the big deal about this? This pretty much falls exactly in line with what VGChartz is reporting.

Around the Network

17.7 million but XBox 360 will not sell 40 million consoles in its life time. The white flag is raised its all over and the winner is Sony, again.

Sqrl said:
mrstickball said:
It's amazing that one pro-MS article gets ragged on by Auron and others...I'm getting a little tired of everyone jumping on the "Xbot" train when there aren't any of the sort here....

But I do tend to think that MS is talking actual install base. As said by others, MS can easily figure out their install base.

Users connected on live (as of today) / historical (or most recent confirmed) ratio of XBL users to units sold = instal base.

It's not that hard folks. MS knows exactly how many people, to the tee, of people on XBL. They know how that plays into their actual install base. Is it any wonder they can comment on the install base and *gasp* be right?

Sure if they factor in what they know about failure rates as well.  But they clearly did not factor that in. While many replaced their units there were, especially before they admitted to the problem, many who had to re-purchase their 360s anew and some who just decided not to bother with it anymore at all.

If they're saying this is sold to consumers it sounds right to me.  But I have a hard time buying that this is even close to the actual installed base.   

Why not? In EU, every single 360 sold has been under warranty since launch. The 3 years extended warranty came along before the 2 years default ended. Every 360 sold, is under the 3 years warranty, so if your launch console gave you the RRoD, in the US for example, you still got it fixed after the 3 years came along (unless you threw it into garbage) and could have been sold in ebay or similar.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
Sqrl said:
mrstickball said:

Sure if they factor in what they know about failure rates as well. But they clearly did not factor that in. While many replaced their units there were, especially before they admitted to the problem, many who had to re-purchase their 360s anew and some who just decided not to bother with it anymore at all.

If they're saying this is sold to consumers it sounds right to me. But I have a hard time buying that this is even close to the actual installed base.

Why not? In EU, every single 360 sold has been under warranty since launch. The 3 years extended warranty came along before the 2 years default ended. Every 360 sold, is under the 3 years warranty, so if your launch console gave you the RRoD, in the US for example, you still got it fixed after the 3 years came along (unless you threw it into garbage) and could have been sold in ebay or similar.

A lot of people replaced them or got rid of the paperweight before the warranty was offered.  The days of the RRoD stories before that warranty pretty much always included the person having to buy a new 360 or people being so pissed they were "done with the console" etc... I'm sure some of them kept it but not all of them and some replaced it altogether (sometimes multiple times).

Normally anecdotal evidence isn't sufficient I realize but this is the exact same anecdotal evidence that forced them to admit to the problem and inact the warranty in the first place.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Legend11 said:
I'm sure this will get some people worked up, especially certain people who claim the 360 can't possibly be at 17 million installed base... Basically Microsoft made two claims today, the first being that the 360 has taken over 40% of the life-to-date revenue for next generation systems. This can likely be explained by the fact that Microsoft is probably counting revenue from the 360's first year when it had no competition. The other claim can only be read one way and that is that the Xbox 360 according to Microsoft has sold through 17.7 million units Worldwide as of March 10th.

Revenue is not a measure of success and therefore it is something you talk about when you're not being successful. If MS was winning the console war by *any* measure, they'd be talking about that. Do you recall when Sony talked only about how muich revenue it made relative to MS and Nintendo because Sony was so soundly being dominated?

You'll continue to see MS talk about the past a lot, but you'll rarely see them talk about their current performance because right now, they're way back in third place. 

Sqrl said:
bdbdbd said:
Sqrl said:
mrstickball said:

Sure if they factor in what they know about failure rates as well. But they clearly did not factor that in. While many replaced their units there were, especially before they admitted to the problem, many who had to re-purchase their 360s anew and some who just decided not to bother with it anymore at all.

If they're saying this is sold to consumers it sounds right to me. But I have a hard time buying that this is even close to the actual installed base.

A lot of people replaced them or got rid of the paperweight before the warranty was offered.  The days of the RRoD stories before that warranty pretty much always included the person having to buy a new 360 or people being so pissed they were "done with the console" etc... I'm sure some of them kept it but not all of them and some replaced it altogether (sometimes multiple times).

Normally anecdotal evidence isn't sufficient I realize but this is the exact same anecdotal evidence that forced them to admit to the problem and inact the warranty in the first place.

I know a lot of those things happened, and the issue is practically solely in US. But since it's more like guesswork, it's really hard to say how many were really thrown away and how many got replaced before M$ adressed the issue. Anyway, i don't think the real installbase is so much diffent to sold to customer number, that it would really matter.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.