By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft claims 17.7 million global installed base

I'm sure this will get some people worked up, especially certain people who claim the 360 can't possibly be at 17 million installed base... Basically Microsoft made two claims today, the first being that the 360 has taken over 40% of the life-to-date revenue for next generation systems. This can likely be explained by the fact that Microsoft is probably counting revenue from the 360's first year when it had no competition. The other claim can only be read one way and that is that the Xbox 360 according to Microsoft has sold through 17.7 million units Worldwide as of March 10th.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29865/Microsoft-Almost-half-of-all-games-revenue-is-ours

"Microsoft has staked its claim as the market leader in the console space with two bold claims this morning – not least that it has taken over 40 per cent of ‘life-to-date’ revenue across hardware, games and peripherals sales."

"On top of that, we’ve worked our way to a 17.7 million units worldwide installed base – and Europe is a critical geography within that figure. The ability to continually drive cost through the console is what has allowed us to open up the price of the system now.”

Around the Network

17.7 million shipped not sold?

So ~250k XBOX 360s sitting on shelves? Sounds about right to me.

actually DMeister it says install base not sold which would make sence since didnt ms say not long ago that they had sold around 18million.

@ celticlonewolf

You're new here, so I'll go easy on you.

There is no way for a console maker to know how many units are sold. Console makers *always* give numbers that are shipped to retailers such as Wal-Mart/Best Buy/GameStop, but VGChartz tracks sold to consumers. That means me and you. So Microsoft has shipped 17.7 million units to retailers, but only ~17.45 have been bought, so ~250k units are sitting on shelves.

^which makes sense. 145k in US and 100k in europe(for price launch) and 5k in japan.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
@ celticlonewolf

You're new here, so I'll go easy on you.

There is no way for a console maker to know how many units are sold. Console makers *always* give numbers that are shipped to retailers such as Wal-Mart/Best Buy/GameStop, but VGChartz tracks sold to consumers. That means me and you. So Microsoft has shipped 17.7 million units to retailers, but only ~17.45 have been bought, so ~250k units are sitting on shelves.

I actually think MS is trying to claim a full 17.7 "installed base" meaning in homes and plugged in etc... There have been a lot of instances in the past where confusion has arisen from the "terms game" that PR folks play, but this terminology (at least to me) seems to indicate that they are truly saying "sold to consumer".

I think they are full of crap or just plain wrong if that is what they are trying to say but thats a whole other issue.

I'm actually still trying to figure out if it was MS or the author who thought the 17.7 million equated to a WW lead...and once I figure out who was saying that I'll work on figuring out how they figured it. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Vgchartz is pretty close on this.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

That appears to be Microsoft's internal estimates of in-home numbers.
That's pretty close to what is on the front of VGChartz -- so its possible.
What it does not say is that the Wii has 5M more in its installed base.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Hahaha, bragging about revenue on a loss-leading console? I guess they're assuming most people won't know what revenue is and will gobble this bullshit up.

For your info Im not new here lol I been here for over a year just dont post very often. What I was saying is that in the interview he said install base which they dont usually use that term, they usually say sold this is what I was pointing out.. Its not hard to believe that ms has sold 17.7m thats not far off what vgcharts has them at. So please save you "i'll take it easy on you" crap. LOL kids