By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft claims 17.7 million global installed base

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Hahaha, bragging about revenue on a loss-leading console? I guess they're assuming most people won't know what revenue is and will gobble this bullshit up.

1) is it still a loss-leading console?

2) Its across hardware, games and peripherals sales

3) The message is directed at developers and not us 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
@ celticlonewolf

You're new here, so I'll go easy on you.

There is no way for a console maker to know how many units are sold. Console makers *always* give numbers that are shipped to retailers such as Wal-Mart/Best Buy/GameStop, but VGChartz tracks sold to consumers. That means me and you. So Microsoft has shipped 17.7 million units to retailers, but only ~17.45 have been bought, so ~250k units are sitting on shelves.

Most of the time they say units sold to stores, but, not always.  Here are a few of the ways they can estimate installed base: 

There are several ways they can know.

1. Purchase or use free data from NPD or data from vgchartz

2. Count registration cards

3. Count online consoles that called home

DMeisterJ - You can't say that a console maker has no idea how many units it has sold. What, a fan website can track it but one of the worlds biggest companies couldn't find a way to get that information?

The statement is a bit vague but if they do mean sold to consumers then I could accept that they were telling the truth. VG charts is only a small amount of consoles away from that without this weeks numbers. No one can be 100% accurate so a bit of a discrepancy is to be expected, and this would fall within an acceptable margin of error.

gebx said:
Hahaha, bragging about revenue on a loss-leading console? I guess they're assuming most people won't know what revenue is and will gobble this bullshit up.

1) Not anymore, but it's been loss-leading for the majority of its existence so far.

2) True.

3) True.

The word "revenue" is an immediate red flag for me, because there's always a funny reason they chose it over "profit."

The 17.7mil to consumers sounds about right, since they had sold 17.7mil to retail by the end of 2007.

Around the Network
gebx said:

1) Not anymore, but it's been loss-leading for the majority of its existence so far.

2) True.

3) True.

The word "revenue" is an immediate red flag for me, because there's always a funny reason they chose it over "profit."

Cut the Xbots some slack, what are they suppossed to say "We are getting killed by the Wii and the PS3 is outselling us WW"  let them have some positive news no matter how they spin it.

40%?

More like 35%.

17.7 million was the number shipped by the end of the third quarter.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

DMeisterJ said:
@ celticlonewolf

You're new here, so I'll go easy on you.

There is no way for a console maker to know how many units are sold. Console makers *always* give numbers that are shipped to retailers such as Wal-Mart/Best Buy/GameStop, but VGChartz tracks sold to consumers. That means me and you. So Microsoft has shipped 17.7 million units to retailers, but only ~17.45 have been bought, so ~250k units are sitting on shelves.

Of course there's a way for a console maker to know approximately how many units are sold. Console makers have a lot of connections to tracking agencies, retailers and even vgchartz (for which they just need an internet connection). Of course, studies made using those sources won't be as precise as shipped numbers, so they'll never be used in fiscal reports, but in PR it's perfectly acceptable to talk about the installed base.

Accounting for error margins, 17.7 million installed base seems plausible. The real number can't be very far from that one right now.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Auron said:

Cut the Xbots some slack, what are they suppossed to say "We are getting killed by the Wii and the PS3 is outselling us WW" let them have some positive news no matter how they spin it.

Want to start discussing the PS3's profit?;)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS