By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hope the NX is a 10 year, mega powerful console, that is expensive.

Speak your mind...

Ya crazy mon! 209 56.33%

I.... this... could.... WORK! 113 30.46%

Too busy watching "... 48 12.94%

Total:370

i hope there will never ever be crap like the PS360 generation that made everything stagnate for almost a decade.

The whole generation made me not want to play games anymore because everything ended up in mediocricy and looked the same. And squeezing every extra bit of visual out of the hardware became so expensive that companies like THQ died and that the focus was on squeezing every little bit of visual detail out of the game and not on making a good game. Or being okay with 15frames per second so that your game can still impress visually (stupid devs)

People getting used to 8 or so years of stagnating visuals then resulted in the same people being happy about how "awesome" games on the new underpowered consoles look. We got slow netbook processors and mid range graphics cards for our new systems that made them out of date the day they were released.

A 5 year cycle is the best thing.

The only thing I would accept is that if Nintendo would make somethng like the N64 where you could upgrade the RAM  but this time let people upgrade more stuff!  Then you can make games have the NORMAL visuals for the original console and then HIGH visual settings for people that upgraded to more ram etc

Around the Network
Saeko said:
I just hope this will do 1080p 60pfs on every single game and will be happy since i won't ever have a 4k tv.

People said the same thing when HD(720p) came out.  THen again when 1080p HD came out.  Now you say the same thing.

It's mostly based off of screen size.  Back when 720p came out, a big tv was 42".  So, the 720p didn't look too bad.  Now, with 60+" tvs, 1080p looks good enough.  But, with tv's that are bigger than 60", the 4k picture makes a much larger impact.

So, to say that you "won't ever" have 4k is not likely.  It is almost impossible to not have it or better when you buy a tv 5+ years from now.

OT:  Nintendo won't ever bring out a powerful Beast of a console, it's not in their nature.  I do agree, that if they were to ever bring another console out, it should be something that is at least 50% more powerful than the PS4 and use x86 architecture to make ports easier.

It is near the end of the end....

JRPGfan said:

I dont think Nintendo should go overboard with the hardware design.
However I think nintendo should drop all the price traps it can (no gamepad controller).

(if removeing a gamepad means you can sell your consol 100$ cheaper, than gamepad is just not anywhere close to being worth it)

By the time the new consol releases the price to build a consol equal to a ps4 will probably be alot lower than it was when Sony & microsoft made their consols.

As long as Nintendo doesnt add unnessary costly gimmicks,... it could end up being cheap and still powerfull.

Not having a Gamepad will feel like such a step backwards.  You guys must really love analogue typing more than I do.  They may as well dump Miiverse too if that's the case.  Having to point to each letter on screen with a d-pad or analogue stick and then click it with another button press will turn what was once ease of communication into an abominable chore.  Let's bring back typewriters too while we're at it.

;^)

Mandalore76 said:
JRPGfan said:

I dont think Nintendo should go overboard with the hardware design.
However I think nintendo should drop all the price traps it can (no gamepad controller).

(if removeing a gamepad means you can sell your consol 100$ cheaper, than gamepad is just not anywhere close to being worth it)

By the time the new consol releases the price to build a consol equal to a ps4 will probably be alot lower than it was when Sony & microsoft made their consols.

As long as Nintendo doesnt add unnessary costly gimmicks,... it could end up being cheap and still powerfull.

Not having a Gamepad will feel like such a step backwards.  You guys must really love analogue typing more than I do.  They may as well dump Miiverse too if that's the case.  Having to point to each letter on screen with a d-pad or analogue stick and then click it with another button press will turn what was once ease of communication into an abominable chore.  Let's bring back typewriters too while we're at it.

Its the price man.....

If its only for typeing, make sure the Next consol has a USB port and allow people to plug in a pc keyboard.

Nintendo needs to be under 300$ to be successfull (because the ps4/xb1 will be 300$ or less by then), and the cost of the gamepad is just to much a burdon on the total system costs to justify it going with the consol.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

i hope there will never ever be crap like the PS360 generation that made everything stagnate for almost a decade.

The whole generation made me not want to play games anymore because everything ended up in mediocricy and looked the same. And squeezing every extra bit of visual out of the hardware became so expensive that companies like THQ died and that the focus was on squeezing every little bit of visual detail out of the game and not on making a good game. Or being okay with 15frames per second so that your game can still impress visually (stupid devs)

People getting used to 8 or so years of stagnating visuals then resulted in the same people being happy about how "awesome" games on the new underpowered consoles look. We got slow netbook processors and mid range graphics cards for our new systems that made them out of date the day they were released.

A 5 year cycle is the best thing.

The only thing I would accept is that if Nintendo would make somethng like the N64 where you could upgrade the RAM  but this time let people upgrade more stuff!  Then you can make games have the NORMAL visuals for the original console and then HIGH visual settings for people that upgraded to more ram etc

I agree with you there 5-6 year MAX life, in a year or 2 time we will be back to the perma 30 fps to keep up the visials and i'd be very suprised if the next gen isnt upgradeable.

Worst possible situation, that's what happened to ps360 and was a disaster. if it's mega powerfull it will be expensive. if it's expensive people won't buy. if the company takes a loss to lower the price, people will buy but the company bleeds money. And no console can handle things for 10 years.

Also, NX won't be a home console.

I don't even understand why you would think that Nintendo would even consider entertaining such an idea. Nothing in their history (which is long) would indicate that they are in any way interested in outgunning the opposition, or charging their clients a fortune for hardware, or actively support a platform for more than about 5 years.

Also I sincerely doubt that PS4 and XB1 are going to last much more than 5 years, we aren't going to see a repeat of last generation.

Nintendo will target with their next home console 1080p/60fps, nothing more nothing less, like they target 720p/60fps with Wii U.

For one I think NX isn't a single device, instead it will be a family of devices available in different form factors and have different specs. Perhaps something like this.......

NX Portable-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, plays games at 540p
NX Console-1.2 tflop, 8gb RAM, plays same games at 1080p
NX Tablet-somewhere between Portable & Console, plays games at 720p

I also think we may no longer have generations in the traditional sense of supporting a device for 5-7 years then moving on to a completely new device. Instead I think we could see these devices being upgraded every few years.

Perhaps 3 years or so after the initial NX devices release, they receive upgrades with basically 2x the specs, NX Portable is now on par with Tablet, NX Tablet is now on par with Console, NX Console is now 2.4 tflop with 16gb RAM.

All or 99% of games are still playable on the older devices but they will just perform better on the newer ones. Maybe once the 3rd generation on NX devices releases, the 1st gen will start to become obsolete but by that point they would have a full 6 years of support so it's still a full generation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.