By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hope the NX is a 10 year, mega powerful console, that is expensive.

Speak your mind...

Ya crazy mon! 209 56.33%

I.... this... could.... WORK! 113 30.46%

Too busy watching "... 48 12.94%

Total:370
Landguy said:

OT:  Nintendo won't ever bring out a powerful Beast of a console, it's not in their nature.  I do agree, that if they were to ever bring another console out, it should be something that is at least 50% more powerful than the PS4 and use x86 architecture to make ports easier.

Every Nintendo console prior to the Wii says Hi. I mean maybe not "beast" but techincally impressive in the same way that the PS4 is, arguably more so with the n64 and Gamecube.

To be honest I think the original Xbox was the only system that was a beast for its time. PS3 in certain aspects aswell

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Nintendo will target with their next home console 1080p/60fps, nothing more nothing less, like they target 720p/60fps with Wii U.

Since the jump in power will allow for more than that and there's a 4x gap between 1080p and 2160p (if 1080p isn't called 2k, it makes no sense to call 2160p as 4k), I see their games targetting higher resolutions, like 1440p. Yes, 1080p/60fps is a minumum. I just think that will be easily achievable and they'll be able to do more than that.

JRPGfan said:
Mandalore76 said:

Not having a Gamepad will feel like such a step backwards.  You guys must really love analogue typing more than I do.  They may as well dump Miiverse too if that's the case.  Having to point to each letter on screen with a d-pad or analogue stick and then click it with another button press will turn what was once ease of communication into an abominable chore.  Let's bring back typewriters too while we're at it.

Its the price man.....

If its only for typeing, make sure the Next consol has a USB port and allow people to plug in a pc keyboard.

Nintendo needs to be under 300$ to be successfull (because the ps4/xb1 will be 300$ or less by then), and the cost of the gamepad is just to much a burdon on the total system costs to justify it going with the consol.

It's not just for the typing, but that is one of the joys of interfacing with the Wii U that isn't replicated on other systems.  Shouldn't the Gamepad become cheaper to produce over time though?  Anyways, pricepoint alone does not render a Nintendo console successful.  The Gamecube was a powerful little system and even at $199 (and later $99) it still landed in 3rd in it's generation.

teigaga said:
Landguy said:

OT:  Nintendo won't ever bring out a powerful Beast of a console, it's not in their nature.  I do agree, that if they were to ever bring another console out, it should be something that is at least 50% more powerful than the PS4 and use x86 architecture to make ports easier.

Every Nintendo console prior to the Wii says Hi. I mean maybe not "beast" but techincally impressive in the same way that the PS4 is, arguably more so with the n64 and Gamecube.

To be honest I think the original Xbox was the only system that was a beast for its time. PS3 in certain aspects aswell

I wouldn't confuse the N64 and gamecube basic competance with power.  

I was thinking that if Nintendo was reallly going to release as new console only 4 years after the WiiU, they could at least make it more on the beast side than being similarly powerfull to the PS4.  It would grant them instant access to the PS4/XB1 AAA multiplats and keep them relevent.  Especially if they made it a universal media center.  I doubt they will do that, but it would eliminate most of the perceived faults of the WiiU by the general public.

It is near the end of the end....

Not going to work. Just take a look at what happened to the 3DO, Sega Saturn, 3DS, the PS3, XBox1. You say like power is all that it needs when we know it is not. The PS3 was powerful and look what happened. Sony went from 150 million PS2 sold to 85 million PS3 sold. Microsoft had a real good run with the XBox 360. The original sold less than 30 million and the 360 sits nicely at 85 million while XBox1, thanks to price and other bad decisions, is way behind the PS4. Consumers are sensitive to price.
If Nintendo comes out with a new and powerful system they will take the hit and make it affordable. Take a look at Wii best sellers:

Mario Kart Wii 35.53 million
Wii Sports Resort 32.58 million
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 28.65 million
Wii Play 28.02 million
Wii Fit 22.67 million
Wii Fit Plus 21.03 million
Super Mario Galaxy 20.908 million

And those are just the games over 20 million. Some of them are so simple that must have cost very little. If they can reach something close to that and a decent third party support they can take the hit of a costly console to produce without passing that to the consumer. The software incomings and third parties royalties will be enough to make up for it.

You can't encourage developers for the potential of legs. What do you prefer? A game that sells a million in a year or a game that sells a million in a month? A developer isn't Nintendo. For Nintendo a game with legs is good. But that's not necesseraly good for a develpoper. Depending on the developer the sooner they get the money the better depending on the size of the company. Some companies just need the money to kick off other projects. You can't look at the companies like they are all the same thing with the same needs. Besides, there's no encouraging. The game is good or not. Even if its good there's no garantee it will sell.

Nintendo needs new policies.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
JRPGfan said:

Its the price man.....

If its only for typeing, make sure the Next consol has a USB port and allow people to plug in a pc keyboard.

Nintendo needs to be under 300$ to be successfull (because the ps4/xb1 will be 300$ or less by then), and the cost of the gamepad is just to much a burdon on the total system costs to justify it going with the consol.

It's not just for the typing, but that is one of the joys of interfacing with the Wii U that isn't replicated on other systems.  Shouldn't the Gamepad become cheaper to produce over time though?  Anyways, pricepoint alone does not render a Nintendo console successful.  The Gamecube was a powerful little system and even at $199 (and later $99) it still landed in 3rd in it's generation.

"Shouldn't the Gamepad become cheaper to produce over time though?"

Probably not.

With chips its about the proccess reaching maturity and you over time figouring out how to use the process node without makeing as many faulty chips (work arounds).

These things lower the costs of the chips that makeup the insides of the consol and are normally a majority of the price of the consol.

When manufacturing costs drop, you gain the ability to lower the sales price of the unit as well.

The same isnt true for the gamepad.

"Anyways, pricepoint alone does not render a Nintendo console successful."

Yes,.. yes it does. Wii U is to expensive for what it is, compaired to the competition it has.

The easiest way to get price down is to not sell the consol with a gamepad.

Only in your dreams, pal.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I don't think so.

Materia-Blade said:
Miyamotoo said:
Nintendo will target with their next home console 1080p/60fps, nothing more nothing less, like they target 720p/60fps with Wii U.

Since the jump in power will allow for more than that and there's a 4x gap between 1080p and 2160p (if 1080p isn't called 2k, it makes no sense to call 2160p as 4k), I see their games targetting higher resolutions, like 1440p. Yes, 1080p/60fps is a minumum. I just think that will be easily achievable and they'll be able to do more than that.

They say 4K so companies can make 4K look more important. People seeing 2160p will go it's only 2X bigger. OMFG 4K 4X BUY NOW!!!!!!!! They gotta try everything to get people on board. Like the 20 versions of 3D.

Nintendo needs to sort out their 3rd party issues first. Before anything drastic is done. That is their main hurdle for many years.

So, in essence, you want Nintendo to disappear off the face of the earth.