By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Bayonetta 3 be multi plat or Nintendo exclusive?

Will Bayonetta 3 be multi plat of NIntendo exclusive?

Nintendo Exclusive 285 56.44%

Multi Plat 60 11.88%

They won't make a 3rd 160 31.68%

Total:505

I hope so, because it's a system seller for a Nintendo console for me. Though I'd much like it to be on PS4 as well.

Around the Network

Cant see why anyone would want to fund another one. Its not marketable enough as a game you have to buy a system for.

Depends if it gets funded if yes then as an exclsuive, doesnt have to be nintendo even

fps_d0minat0r said:
Cant see why anyone would want to fund another one. Its not marketable enough as a game you have to buy a system for.

Most games aren't like that. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be made.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Neodegenerate said:
I doubt they make a third. They will want it to be multi-plat, won't get the support, and won't want to go back to single console exclusive. Then, they move on to new IP or revisiting others.

you're aware that Nintendo helped fund Bayonetta 2 right? its not as if the software developer was at some giant risk when someone is backing them. I don't expect another Bayonetta game, but if there is one you would suspect it will be on a Nintendo system because Nintendo seems to be the only console developer interested in that IP currently

Around the Network

The only way Bayonetta 3 happens is if somebody agrees to lose money on it... Only people that would do that are console makers, so it could happen. But most likely it will never ever happen...

Angelv577 said:
Paatar said:

Actually, the game did pretty good to their standards. The orignal Bayonetta (Which sold a combined 2m+ on both the PS3 and 360) was considered a flop by Micro and Sony, which is why they didn't fund the game and Nintendo stepped in. It is almost at 700k retail and the game hasn't even been out for a full year yet. It still has a good 2-3 years left.

Actually, it was stated in the first NPD for the game that it was overtracked.  VGchartz had it at over 300k whereas NPD said it failed to reached 145k.  Anyway even with VGchartz numbers, If the game was considered a flop at 2m, they game definitely is a flop at 700k considering that the game has an equal development budget.

They funded the game as an attempt to have diversity and attract core gamers from ps3/360 which failed to do so.

you realize that no game catering to adults/core gamers would have worked for the Wii U right? it's not that Bayonetta 2 failed, it actually did very well so far considering the samll install base for the system. the issue IS the Wii U's overall sales, advertising, and reputation

I don't expect another Bayonetta but the argument that it didn't attract 'core gamers' is a weak one considering its sold quite well for a system with an install base of 10m that caters towards families/kids more than anything else

mountaindewslave said:
Angelv577 said:

Actually, it was stated in the first NPD for the game that it was overtracked.  VGchartz had it at over 300k whereas NPD said it failed to reached 145k.  Anyway even with VGchartz numbers, If the game was considered a flop at 2m, they game definitely is a flop at 700k considering that the game has an equal development budget.

They funded the game as an attempt to have diversity and attract core gamers from ps3/360 which failed to do so.

you realize that no game catering to adults/core gamers would have worked for the Wii U right? it's not that Bayonetta 2 failed, it actually did very well so far considering the samll install base for the system. the issue IS the Wii U's overall sales, advertising, and reputation

I don't expect another Bayonetta but the argument that it didn't attract 'core gamers' is a weak one considering its sold quite well for a system with an install base of 10m that caters towards families/kids more than anything else

That was never the point in question in my comments.  The reason as to why it failed have been discussed many time even in third parties Wii U games threads.  This is not about "considering this or considering that", its about actual numbers that could make the game actually successful enough for Nintendo to consider funding a third game, in other words the question is if it failed or not, not about "well considering this or considering that".  Also already gave my reason as to why I considered it a failure.

To the bolded part, tell that to the nintendo fans, they are the one that don't believe that statement.

I don't see the part of a weak argument especially when it's my opinion and considering nintendo strategy for Wii U at the beginning of the gen.  Wii U has Wii brand in it but nintendo themself made it clear that they wanted to attract the core gamers with Wii U since the beginning.  Since bayo 2 was announced before the release date of Wii U, I can perfectly and reasonably infered that their intention at the beginning was to attract the core gamers.  Just because most of the audience are famiies/kids doesn't mean they didn't try to attract core gamers.  Zombi U is another perfect example of their intention at the beginning.

That doesn't mean that they didn't attract some core gamers but I'm talking in a significant way which obviously also failed to do so.

I don't think Bayonetta 2 did anything for Nintendo hardware-wise, and it's debateable whether the game has sold enough for Nintendo to consider it a good financial investment as a game that will make reasonable profits by itself.

Any other publisher looking at sales potential relating to B1 and B2 will most likely think that the game is not worth funding.

So I think B3 will only happen if they go for crowd funding where the Bayonetta fans themselves can put their money where their mouths are. I doubt that will happen.

So I voted that Bayonetta 3 won't happen.

Would be nice if it does though. Not really fussed whether it's exclusive or multipla if it ever does happen. If it is going to happen I would expect it to be announced in 2016.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Angelv577 said:
sc94597 said:

Sega, as a third party developer, has different expectations on succes for a game. Also there is no evidence the budget is the same. Development costs decrease with sequels, particularly because assets are reused/modified. 

And you think nintendo expectations are lower than sega, for all we know, their expectations could be larger than sega.  Even if bayo 2 was cheaper to make than the first one, it couldn't be that much different and again, the game was overtracked in US.  Right now it should be at 500k at most because it could be overtracked in Europe as well, and by the looks of it, the legs are horrible at this point so the chance to reach 1 million is very unlikely.  Like I said before, if nintendo asked 250k sales for a game like fire emblem that doesn't look demanding at all, you know that 500k or 700k is too low by nintendo standards for a game like bayo considering the development costs behind it.  Nintendo doesn't like to break even, they mostly try to go for decent profit at minimum.

Nintendo, as a hardware manfuacturer, has extra benefits which Sega does not (as a third party publisher.) For starters, diversifying the software found on their hardware can lead to long term benefits in the sale of said hardware, and then, in turn, the sale of their software. Sega cares solely about profit maximization, and if there is a huge opportunity cost (even if they can make a profit off Bayonetta) they will not publish the game. 

The bolded is speculation. 

Underlined shows a lack of what induces costs in a game. Asset quality and number are the main determinations of whether or not a game will cost a lot. Fire-Emblem has animated cutscenes, and dozens of characters that need to be designed. Just because the graphics technology aren't pushing the boundaries does not mean the game is cheap to make. Bayonetta, on the otherhand, had assets already designed, and likely also had a fully functioning engine which the developer (Platinum games) utilized. The costs of HD development were already subsidized by Sega with the first entry. You don't know the development costs, so stop acting like you do.