By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Ocean 5 announced for PS4, PS3

outlawauron said:
Materia-Blade said:

I don't think so. any examples?

Tales of is a great example! Series has done better where it matters to Namco. That's why there's been 6 Playstation console exclusive Tales games.

Dammit!!!

I wanted to say it!

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
outlawauron said:
Materia-Blade said:

Tales of is a great example! Series has done better where it matters to Namco. That's why there's been 6 Playstation console exclusive Tales games.

Except there hasn't been a single multiplat (not counting late ports/re-releases) Tales of game to compare the exclusive ones to...

Your right, buuuut we do have something close. Tales of Graces was released for Wii first then released a year later on PS3 where it did not overtaking Wii sales. Wii only had like 2-300k? Ps3 is nearly at mill

Xxain said:
Ka-pi96 said:
outlawauron said:
Materia-Blade said:

Except there hasn't been a single multiplat (not counting late ports/re-releases) Tales of game to compare the exclusive ones to...

Your right, buuuut we do have something close. Tales of Graces was released for Wii first then released a year later on PS3 where it did not overtaking Wii sales. Wii only had like 200k? Ps3 is nearly at mill

It only released in Japan on the Wii. Interestingly though, Tales of Graces F + Tales of Graces sold about as much as Tales of Xillia. So that kind of invalidates the argument? 

sc94597 said:
Xxain said:

Your right, buuuut we do have something close. Tales of Graces was released for Wii first then released a year later on PS3 where it did not overtaking Wii sales. Wii only had like 200k? Ps3 is nearly at mill

It only released in Japan on the Wii. Interestingly though, Tales of Graces F + Tales of Graces sold about as much as Tales of Xillia. So that kind of invalidates the argument? 

We can compare the Japanese sales and it does not make much of a difference.  Sorry, what argument are w talking about?

Xxain said:
sc94597 said:

We can compare the Japanese sales and it does not make much of difference.  Sorry, what argument are w talking about?

"JRPG's and other genres with limited popularity, always perform better when theyre exclusive and linked to Console manufacturer. "

Tales of Xillia didn't out perform Tales of Graces F if you include sales from Tales of Graces (Wii.) 

Tales of Xillia - 0.67 (Japan)

Tales of Graces f - 0.43 (Japan)

Tales of Graces (Wii) - 0.22 (Japan)

Tales of Graces both - .43 + .22 = . 65 (Japan)

Both games have similar average review scores too, so it isn't like Graces was better than Xillia (many people would say it's the opposite.) 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Xxain said:

We can compare the Japanese sales and it does not make much of difference.  Sorry, what argument are w talking about?

"JRPG's and other genres with limited popularity, always perform better when theyre exclusive and linked to Console manufacturer. "

Tales of Xillia didn't out perform Tales of Graces F if you include sales from Tales of Graces (Wii.) 

Tales of Xillia - 0.67 (Japan)

Tales of Graces f - 0.43 (Japan)

Tales of Graces (Wii) - 0.22 (Japan)

Tales of Graces both - .43 + .22 = . 65 (Japan)

Both games have similar average review scores too, so it isn't like Graces was better than Xillia (many people would say it's the opposite.) 

Oh ok. I was unclear. When I say perform better, I'm not just talking about sales, but also the potential to stay above water, stay on the radar. That is an instant privilege to not just being exclusive, but an exclusive one of the big 3 are backing. Perforimg better in the sense of having and not having the perks of exclusive backing.  

I can't believe a Square-Enix countdown teaser became a console J-RPG announcement. Really nice, color me interested.

Btw good that the name of the protagonist doesn't sound as ridiculous as "Edge Maverick" XD but I don't understand why do they always have to add a loli girl wihtout emotions

The pics look really good.

awesome news i really enjoyed SO 4 despite what people say of it, and im glad to see that Tri-Ace isnt dead!.

also another PS exclusive to look forward!.

Imnus said:
ReimTime said:
Great news that it is in fact Star Ocean! I'm a little disappointed it's exclusive, even though it will not affect me directly.

Why would you be dissapointed, this means the game will be the best it can be without comprimises. All the developer effort will be going to the actual game with no redundant efforts to get it running on different setups.

Now the problem here is that this game isn't exclusive, it's cross-gen which is actually much worse than just cross-platform. On the other hand I guess that for games it doesn't really matter, which then actually makes it a dissapointment that is not on XBOX, because what's the point of making a game like this release only on PlayStation.

Sony should really stop with the pointless exclusives, this and Street Figther are useless as exclusives, and invest in exclusives that would actually benefit the game and not only stop the game from going to other Platforms. Games like a Next-Gen Dragon's Dogma or like Bloodborne are games that are actually great as exclusives.

Wait why would do you consider this and Street Fighter to be useless as exclusives?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

outlawauron said:
Materia-Blade said:

It's a great example for MY point. I don't recall any tales of being multiplatform. the closest was tales of graces, wich even with it's buggy wii version that had to be recalled, showed that being multiplatform = a lot more sales than being exclusive. Oh. Historically, the tales of series does similar numbers on nintendo and sony systems.