By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo's Amiibo situation is good for them.

Let's just imagine that it is Nintendo's perogative to limit the production of the more popular Amiibo.  It is real and they are doing it for a reason.  Nintendo are not one to make a quick buck by the pressures of consumer opinion.  They are the company always there for the long run.  With this new Amiibo Platform, they are in it for the long term.  That means years of limited edition in spirit, but not by name game tie-ins.  But no, it won't feel like a tie-in in the sense of The Iron Man Movie and Iron Man the Movie the Game.  In limited circulation, by numbers still high accordance to what the company deems it's worth, they'll create that much and be done.  On to the next amiibo game tie-ins.  Whatever doesn't sell to the main demographic goes to the casual.  

Have you ever wondered why you can always find a Mario and a Pikachu?  That's because they made droves of those iconic characters.  They've been around forever and have garnered so much attention through the years, the casuals would always recognize it, maybe not by name, but my look.  And because the core demographic either has a "Mario" or don't care for one because they really want the "marth", they will not buy it.  But the casuals will fill that void and give it to a child during christmas time just because they've seen it on a commercial and because it's a cheap $12.96 price tag at your local walmart and they know these kids have a Nintendo device and I'm rambling.  Whatever nintendo produces, will sell out until they are no longer producing them.

Nintendo makes how much of each character?  If Smash is any indication, they will create up to 50 plus characters for one game.  Of the 50 plus characters, additional amiibos will be created to tie-in to other games.  Along with smash are the Mario Party 10 amiibos adding a count of 4, and then the splatoon characters in bundle set form at 3 characters, adding up to near 60 characters, oh and gold mario.  In the years to come, that number will continue to add.  By this logic of increasing characters, we can assume that nintendo will make a finite amount of figures for each character.  Let's say the cap is 7 million  overall characters produced since they've sold 5.1+ million already.  How do you divide 7 million individual characters by 50+?  That's 140,000 for each character.  This kind of thinking is dumb, 140,000 for each character.  It may not all sell out.  But it will through limited production.  Mario, pikachu and yoshi will always sell out.  But riskier Shulk and Wii Fit Trainer amiibo are a unknowns and will likely not sell the same.  They may be sitting on shelves and discounted.  With Nintendo limiting these amiibos, they will create the buzz and therefor compelling those in the search to give weight to these characters.  Really, Jigglypuff is saught after?  That just goes to show you the power of supply and demand.

The next high profile nintendo game will have limited amiibo produced as well.  And the next Zelda amiibo will as well.  The Toad amiibo for Captain told is already hard to find and so will the next amiibos release.  How much really does nintendo need to sell of each amiibo tie-in to a game for them to be profitable?  It'll always be the case we find ourselves in today.  Nintendo will realease a Metroid game in the futre and best believe Amiibo will be made for the game.  How much do they need to make to really be profitable, with demand still high, with the knowledge that it was always the time to buy a certain amiibo because they do not stay long.  If nintendo does this right, they could make amiibo a continous phenomenon for as long as they are profiting well. 

The amiibo problem is a problem for the core consumer, but not for nintendo.  Amiibos will be available to you at a store of your choice, but you are always limited to finding the most recognizable.  For the casual, it's an entry into the genre.  For core, it is a hunt.  Despite this, the business is thriving because of it.  Gamestop loved the fact that it's online store crashed.  Walmart is greatful for the Gold and Silver Mario edition.  Target, best buy, Toys R us, and game stop love Nintendo for this.  We suffer, but Nintendo is in good standing with where it counts; the profit.  But that's a business, that's how it works, and ultimately for nintendo, it's good for them.

Around the Network

Well, it turned me off buying them, that's for sure

Yeah, I assumed that the shortage issue is to drive up demand, and it is working to a large extent..

and by releasing new waves and special editions, it will make up for the lost money due to stock shortages. Works well but only to an extent

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

If I was a hardcore collector I'd be furious at Nintendo. But all I wanted was a Toad amiibo and I got it. So I'm set. But if the same thing happens with a Captain Toad or Adventure Toadette amiibo then I'll be sad.

It maybe good for them but its bad for consumers.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
alternine said:

Yeah it does.  They have another blue ocean with them.  Don't make a mistake, this isn't a skylander or a disney whatever, this is another pokemon, Wii, super Mario bros.  Because of this, they will treat it like a monopoly.  They may even force Microsoft and Sony to counter with something of their own.

I love 'em. I got Link just to try and was hooked. They are awesome in both as a collectible and in some of thier uses in games.

Palutena is next.

Ouroboros24 said:
alternine said:

Yeah it does.  They have another blue ocean with them.  Don't make a mistake, this isn't a skylander or a disney whatever, this is another pokemon, Wii, super Mario bros.  Because of this, they will treat it like a monopoly.  They may even force Microsoft and Sony to counter with something of their own.

no just no. LOL if that were true then Wii Us would be selling MUCH better but its still on track to sell less than GC. Thats not Pokemon hell than might not even be Pikmin. Ninty fans are buying these and thats it.

oniyide said:
Ouroboros24 said:
alternine said:

no just no. LOL if that were true then Wii Us would be selling MUCH better but its still on track to sell less than GC. Thats not Pokemon hell than might not even be Pikmin. Ninty fans are buying these and thats it.

Slow burn. It's a platform in it's first year.  Nintendo wants this to be like Trading Card games and this is akin to Yu-gi-oh.

"As of February 2015, the Skylanders series has crossed the threshold of $3 billion in sales, with 175 million toys sold since 2011, making the series one of the top 20 highest-selling video game franchises of all time."  Since 2011 release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylanders#Reception

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/even-disney-is-surprised-by-the-success-of-disney-infinity-1201268283/

These figurines have long legs.  This is the start.

It will really only help them if they actually produce enough to meet demand at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if they could get away selling the figures at a markup from the getgo.

At this point they seem content letting their potential profit go to scalpers.

Signature forthcoming.