By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo's Amiibo situation is good for them.

They keeping hype high and bigger present on market because of Amiibo.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:

Made little shelves for all of mine so far 

Wow!

Get some more picture of entire shelves, that Mario and Zelda shelves.

Miyamotoo said:

Wow!

Get some more picture of entire shelves, that Mario and Zelda shelves.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Ouroboros24 said:
oniyide said:
Ouroboros24 said:
alternine said:
It maybe good for them but its bad for consumers.

Yeah it does.  They have another blue ocean with them.  Don't make a mistake, this isn't a skylander or a disney whatever, this is another pokemon, Wii, super Mario bros.  Because of this, they will treat it like a monopoly.  They may even force Microsoft and Sony to counter with something of their own.

no just no. LOL if that were true then Wii Us would be selling MUCH better but its still on track to sell less than GC. Thats not Pokemon hell than might not even be Pikmin. Ninty fans are buying these and thats it.

Slow burn. It's a platform in it's first year.  Nintendo wants this to be like Trading Card games and this is akin to Yu-gi-oh.

"As of February 2015, the Skylanders series has crossed the threshold of $3 billion in sales, with 175 million toys sold since 2011, making the series one of the top 20 highest-selling video game franchises of all time."  Since 2011 release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylanders#Reception

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/even-disney-is-surprised-by-the-success-of-disney-infinity-1201268283/

These figurines have long legs.  This is the start.

bad comparison Skylanders sell to a MUCH bigger install base than Amiibo currently does. Hell even when you throw in 3ds numbers its still much smaller

oniyide said:
Ouroboros24 said:
oniyide said:
Ouroboros24 said:
alternine said:

Yeah it does.  They have another blue ocean with them.  Don't make a mistake, this isn't a skylander or a disney whatever, this is another pokemon, Wii, super Mario bros.  Because of this, they will treat it like a monopoly.  They may even force Microsoft and Sony to counter with something of their own.

no just no. LOL if that were true then Wii Us would be selling MUCH better but its still on track to sell less than GC. Thats not Pokemon hell than might not even be Pikmin. Ninty fans are buying these and thats it.

Slow burn. It's a platform in it's first year.  Nintendo wants this to be like Trading Card games and this is akin to Yu-gi-oh.

"As of February 2015, the Skylanders series has crossed the threshold of $3 billion in sales, with 175 million toys sold since 2011, making the series one of the top 20 highest-selling video game franchises of all time."  Since 2011 release.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/even-disney-is-surprised-by-the-success-of-disney-infinity-1201268283/

bad comparison Skylanders sell to a MUCH bigger install base than Amiibo currently does. Hell even when you throw in 3ds numbers its still much smaller

Time, time, time.  If this is the reception for amiibo as the market is, it stays relivent for more than two or 3 years.  It would always be a buyers market in high demand.  Nintendo will not have only have the Amiibo platform in a year from now, but the next year going.  Perhaps nintendo keeps this market open for another 3 years, in what kind of position would they be?  DeNA, NX, Nintendo Network, Nintendo is slow, but we can see them moving towards other venues in recent years and have even accepted the mobile industry.  It wouldn't surprise me if nintendo does give smartphones amiibo access after .  And if they did, it would only help them and their contractual partners involved. 

It would be best for Nintendo to have this kind of amiibo infrastructure for the time being.  Perhaps long in the future we may have a direct to you figurine, something to fix this scalper issue.  Don't get  me wrong, I talk about it, but I would rather have a fair market for which finding your favorite amiibo is easily done.  But until they have more than just the limited market of the people who have bought a Wii U and a N3DS, they need to keep this hype up. 

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:

Dunban67 said:
Nintendo knows their market share has been and continues to shrink. THey have not been able to do anythng in the last several years to change that- They also know their core fan base is loyal and has a high tolerance when it comes to Nintendo taking advantage of them- So they are selling multiple sku s to the same core group over and over again- -Yeah, just about what I said.  The cores will give it an effort to try to attain one of these things, but the casual, you included since you don't seem so interested in Amiibo enough to hunt for it, the casual will get a copy of the most figurine made.  Casual players will get the casual characters. If you think this is wrong, Nintendo did it, not me, don't be angry at me. 
The Amiibo market is being driven by collectors, scalpers and/or serious Nintendo fans that want 1 or more complete groups to save, invest and/or collect-(and never opening many of them) The demand for Amiibo IS NOT being driven by game play which is too bad as game play is what will drive longer term demand- But it is just not there now -Yeah, basically what you said, I agree.  But I also see this being more privalent in the future.  Tacked on things like the costumes in MK8 are not worth buying amiibo for.  But, the promise of amiibo is still interesting in the heart and minds of those who are truly fans.  ANd if it's just the same core fans, good luck to them because scalpers got it on the dot.

Intentionally short supplying the market is short term business- it is a "profit now" mentality that many Co's that sell thru retail could also employ but rarely do- at least not intentionally- They are continuing to frustrate/anger part of their shrinking core base and alienating potential new customers all for quick profits going back to the same group of people again and again- -Again, yeah, I agree.  But isn't that what Nintendo is doing?  How hard is it to boost supply?  How hard?  It's been since December 2014 and 4 months later still no second wave of marth Amiibo.  And even if they did supply demand amiibo, they wouldn't be able to keep everyone happy because there are 50 plus characters to run through.  ANd they are to make enough and also know how much that number is to be.  Perhaps saying intentionally short supplying is not the description here.  Due to the nature of the business with Amiibo and the many characters, they are forced to supply as they are now.  And I'm betting that once the next Marth amiibo ends, they will not continue to redistribute the figurine because other second run through for another character. 

Want game play with that Amiibo?- tough buy it now or risk never owning (fill in the blank) - Want to play Xenoblade Chronicles and presumably other up coming games on your 3DS- well you need to buy our 3rd? version in the last 2+/- years Want to own that Amiibo so badly you pay $50 to a scalper- well, we will re-release a ton of stock in the future for some (perhaps all) crashing the value of those instantly- hope yo guess riht when paying a premium -Yeah, that's what's happening.  I think that is the life of an amiibo.  To be a collectable, to be a scalped item, to be rare, to be like trading cards and are sought after by the collectors.  I honestly think that is the whole Amiibo deal.  That's what the platform is.  It works this way like a game.  A game only the hard core Nintendo collector will get play.  AMiibo will be available, but that's how amiibo works.  If I'm wrong, then Nintendo should fix it easily by a direct to buyer model.  But, because retailers love Nintendo and Nintendo wants to reward retailers, the direct to buy model won't be adopted.  Amiibo is what I described it to be, a platform like trading card games. 

PS: There are 2 or 3 of the "non rare" amiibo at Walmart now priced at $9.95+/- non sale price while the others are still $12.95+/-  -Yeah, knew that.  Bought 16 of them and they will prices for my store.  Every month, I have a raffle for all those who bought into my store membership club for $10 dollars.  $10 gets them an instant raffle ticket everyone month.  So far I've signed over 200 people in my small town.  Before giving away amiibos, I was giving three boosterpacks, or starterpacks, comic books, two pairs of Dr. Scholls insoles, or basically what ever was there and I didn't care to no longer have.  But now I'm giving away amiibos and in turn those winners will eventually use them during our bi-weekly smash amiibo tournament.  PS~

I'm a conspiracy theorist by the way.

Nice response -     

What kind of store do you have?-  The Amiibo raffle sounds like a great idea 

Is it possible for me to respond directly without using "quote" each time?

Someone told me before but it s been awhile and i can t remember

It`s definitely helping Nintendo, and annoying fans too. I went from "I`ll get some eventually" to "Oh gosh, better go hunt for my favorites on day one". Their plan is good, but it would be great if they released small shipments more often then never at all...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Short supply to make the demand go crazy, ingenious plan.

Hopefully, one day, they actually provide a huge supply to meet said demand, but I kinda doubt it at this rate.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Some of these things are pretty hard to find. I picked up a Rosalina at Target. The box was a bit beat up, but I knew they were hard to find. And I find out my kids don't even want it... lol. Figures.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Ouroboros24 said:
oniyide said:
Ouroboros24 said:
alternine said:

Except yaknow, Activision actually produces skylander figures.