By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft can win this generation

What microsot needs to do is

1. Make XBL free - although PSN is free, XBL is more popular + its DLC is good. So XBL with this + free online .

2. Keep one SKU - sony and microsoft has alot which causes confusion with the buyer. While nintendo has

only one which is easy to decide. Microsoft can eliminate the core and the premium, then keep

the elite at a price range of the premium. It would have all the good features at a good price +

less work and production cost and faster price cuts to catch up with nintendo.

That is all they need to do, the games are good + they keep coming so ok there. Maybe with this falcon or new

65nm chip + only the elite to work with = less or no failures, noise and heat problems. So free XBL + one SKU with 65 chip + a good price + a solid library of games = more success.

Personaly I would like to see all consoles do good since I like all three. The only thing I don't like are fanboys that think their company can anything, I don't see them give out millions to a gamer or raise them from the dead. 

----------------------

Owns a xbox360, PSP and PS2. Getting a PS3 and Wii.

Around the Network

win as in "beat out PS3"?

or Win as in "beat out Wii"?

I think Wii is out of anybody grasp, it can still beat PS3. It would be from more from heavy investment in European and Japanese market. Buying exclusive deals with Japanese companies and probably massive price-cut in all 3 regions.

Frankly, it makes no financial sense to do all that. So I think Microsoft will be happy with 40 million + units sold and 3rd place.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Your not going to win the consolewar by making XBL free and only having one SKU.

Multiple SKU's are quite handy so you can pick in what category (= how much you wanna spend on the machine) you want the console.

XBL for free won't push over people that are still doubting. Because PSN IS already free. It would save a lot of money for the people that already have an X360. Not get a lot of new people to buy one.

Maybe if they go down to 100$ in the next months, they can obliterate the rest and win the consolewar. Otherwise, not happening!

EDIT: Selling more than Xbox (original) and NOT having Sony on top would be a 'victory' for Microsoft, because the latter is why they entered the race in the first place!

Remember Microsoft backing the dreamcast with Windows and online etc.. When the Dreamcast failed they flunked out the Xbox to try and halt Sony's advance in the market, because Console/Portable gaming is quite related to PC gaming and Microsoft saw that as a treath! 

THE NETHERLANDS

You have lots of good enthusiasm and ideas in theory :)

Unfortunately I don't see it happening. Without Japan support Xbox is stuck in second place until the decide to switch over to next gen.

although both ideas are really good and I agree Microsoft should do that, I don't agree with your tile.

If they did that, they would probably come in a strong second in NA, probably tie for second in Others, and still end up dead last in JPN.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I highly doubt it, especially with Blus victory. It doesnt matter to MS, they are killing the XBOX 180 sales, which I think is a major victory to them.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

It is nice to think about but it will not happen

However, welcome to vgchartz nonetheless

It would take alot more than that my friend LOLOLOL. Until they can sell more than 10,000,000 a year WW, its not happening.

those are ideas for them to consider when they bring out the 720, but it's too late for the 360 to do better than 2nd (which is still possible)

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

The PSone and the PS2 had one SKU in their early years since launch and they still hit big with gamers.