By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft can win this generation

Even if they did all of that, MS still wouldn't be able to compete with the Wii.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 360, and it's been getting more playtime than my Wii lately, but it's got no chance of winning.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Sure, they can win...

By leaving the console business, the only way not to loose anything for them...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

microsoft already messed up.

Ps3 is ganna keep outselling 360 till the end of the generation

DogWeed said:

This coming from a guy with PS3 icon as his profile pic. Life has become so predictable...

disolitude said:
DogWeed said:

This coming from a guy with PS3 icon as his profile pic. Life has become so predictable...

but why would he lie to us or be biased ??? why ???

OT: Wii domination is at full speed and nothing will stop it this generation, second place... thats still up for grabs but I don´t see it as beeing that important, more like XBox vs. Gamcube, just with higher numbers... 

Around the Network

If M$ would want to boost sales by having one SKU, it would need to Elite, with the price of Arcade. 199 for Elite doesn't sound that bad deal.
Only place M$ has a shot of winning, would be NA, but even there it's only theoretical and would require the Elite with the price of Arcade and heavy investments on 3rd party exclusives. It does have a possibility to beat PS3 WW, which i find unlikely, but 360 is going to finish 2nd in NA.

But in all fairness, turning 360 into profit, can be really considered as a victory.

And welcome to VGC.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

beat PS3 yes, beat Wii no. Win generation also no beacuse they would need to beat Wii which they wont do.

MS will come in second behind Nintendo at the end of the Console War for several reasons.

1. They have strategic placement over Sony for the remainder of this generation in terms of pricing.

Example: Sony decides to drop the PS3 price by $50. MS can automatically drop its console price by more then that seeing that a) console costs less, b) they have been on the market longer.

2. They are currently the primary console for multiplatform development (for the most part). It is cheaper for devs to make a game for the 360 and port it to the PS3. If you factor in all the other costs (manufacturing, distrubution, marketing etc.) for smaller devs it is just too expensive. Consider the mergers that have taken place so far this gen, the main attribute is so smaller firms can stay competitive and have resources allowing them to continue to create great games.

http://www.ps3power.com/ps3-dev-expensive.htm

3. MS has a concrete base of current games (new IP's)

MS basically has one aged franchise being Halo. I feel that this was recognized a long time ago which is why MS began to allocate more resources elsewhere to help grow the 360 franchise. This is why 360 owners have been exposed to games like BioShock, Gears of War and Mass Effect.

Sony seems to be sitting on games that have long past there time in my opinion. Will MGS4 be a great game? Of course it will, but at some point in the very near future they will need to begin pooring more money into new IP development which MS has already started to do.

I suppose this is debateable but I havent been to impressed with any new IP except for Uncharted.

4. They have only sold ~7 million consoles more then PS3

I dont think gamers realize how long it will take the PS3 to catch up to the 360 in terms of sales. They will have to outsell MS on a weekly basis by a large amount for a substancial period of time. Seeing that the sales have been close over the past couple months of PS3 outselling the 360, I dont forsee them really ever catching up.

Ok, this thread is approaching alarmingly toxic levels of fail. It is not going to win, there is a better chance that the next Halo will be on PS3 and Nintendo won't make another Mario game. So....yeah, not gonna happen. The only possibility to catch the Wii in my eyes is the PS3, and even that is a ridiculous long shot.

^No one is catching the Wii. this does not mean the Wii is the best console out of the 3 in any way...but it will dominate this generation.