By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Praised Shovel Knight fight God of War Kratos Detailed

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:

And giving people extra content who didn't support the game initially will leave a bad taste in their mouth. And Yacht Club hasn't even fulfilled all of their kickstarter promises yet. So to see them focus on exclusive content for other consoles is a bit disheartening.

It's not like Nintendo is unwilling to do these sort of deals (SSX on Tour and Sonic Lost World for example).

You do know that both Microsoft and Sony usually ask for extra content for late ports?  I'm not sure how you can hold this against the developers.  So they throw in an easy to program hidden boss fight on those platforms, so what?  They're still working on free additional content, they're still doing things on Nintendo platforms, like Shovel Knight 3DS themes.

It's taking them a year just to make a boss character playable...

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

You do know that both Microsoft and Sony usually ask for extra content for late ports?  I'm not sure how you can hold this against the developers.  So they throw in an easy to program hidden boss fight on those platforms, so what?  They're still working on free additional content, they're still doing things on Nintendo platforms, like Shovel Knight 3DS themes.

They're a studio of less than ten people that was flat broke a month before they released the game.  They obviously have a ton of things they're working on, such as getting the game on other platforms and producing those stretch goals.  They have to generate revenue, that's the life's blood of any business, so I can't fault them a bit for getting those ports into the wild as quickly as possible.

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:

They're a studio of less than ten people that was flat broke a month before they released the game.  They obviously have a ton of things they're working on, such as getting the game on other platforms and producing those stretch goals.  They have to generate revenue, that's the life's blood of any business, so I can't fault them a bit for getting those ports into the wild as quickly as possible.

How hard can it be to port an 8-bit game?

Samus Aran said:
pokoko said:

Plus the additional content and handling all business and promotional matters yourself?  I don't know.  Do you?

pokoko said:
Samus Aran said:

Plus the additional content and handling all business and promotional matters yourself?  I don't know.  Do you?

I saw loads of trailers from them on Nintendo directs, Nintendo's youtube channel and its featured at the front page of the eshop constantly. Clearly they got help.

You can't argue that the additional content is small and takes a long time to develop at the same time btw. It's one or the other.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

How am I not a real supporter buying this day 1 when it comes out on Vita? :P

I meant the people who supported it on kickstarter (pc gamers/Nintendo fans).

I want both Link and Samus in there. These games were released during the 8-bit era.

Why do you complain about this in this thread?

It's not like you think the game is any good to begin with.

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

I meant the people who supported it on kickstarter (pc gamers/Nintendo fans).

I want both Link and Samus in there. These games were released during the 8-bit era.

Sticking up for the Nintendo/PC fans who liked it. It's called empathy.

Plus Link or Samus in the game would make it automatically better. Gordon Freeman for PC. If Valve would ever allow such a thing of course.

Samus Aran said:
Hynad said:

Plus Link or Samus in the game would make it automatically better.

Because they're Nintendo characters?  It's not that the game would be better with them. It's because it's those characters. Right?

I see. This attitude falls in line with what you think of reviewers.

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

Plus Link or Samus in the game would make it automatically better.

Because they're Nintendo characters...  It's not that the game would be better with them. It's because it's those characters. Nintendo characters. And those make a game good to you because they're Nintendo characters. Not because the game has merit. Remove them, put other characters just as cool, or even cooler and more original, and nope... It's not a Nintendo character, so they don't have as much merit and don't make the game better.

I see. This attitude falls in line with what you think of reviewers.

Whole lot of projecture going on here. I never said the game was bad, I said it was unremarkable and did nothing new. This game copies pretty much every element from 8-bit classics and puts it in one game (mega man, Zelda II, Super Mario Bros., Ducktales, etc.).

So yeah, an actual cameo from one of those 8-bit classics would greatly enhance the game. I love easter eggs, secrets, references and cameos in games.

You don't seem to understand what Shovel Knight is about. Maybe you haven't played it (and that would make this conversation pointless) or maybe it flew right over your head...

It would be an understatement to say that the game is the way it is because of Nintendo and other companies during the 8-bit era.

Samus Aran said:

Whole lot of projecture going on here. I never said the game was bad, I said it was unremarkable and did nothing new. This game copies pretty much every element from 8-bit classics and puts it in one game (mega man, Zelda II, Super Mario Bros., Ducktales, etc.).

So yeah, an actual cameo from one of those 8-bit classics would greatly enhance the game. I love easter eggs, secrets, references and cameos in games.

You don't seem to understand what Shovel Knight is about. Maybe you haven't played it (and that would make this conversation pointless) or maybe it flew right over your head...

It would be an understatement to say that the game is the way it is because of Nintendo and other companies during the 8-bit era.

I played the game and enjoyed it quite a bit. I understand that it made a lot of nods to past games without relying on cameos. It did it well this way, and I thought it was fun as it is. 

About your defense, as always, whatever you say.