By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Donna Burke Confirms Konami Fired Hideo Kojima From the Company

Tagged games:

"ORIGINAL STORY: Publisher Konami has indeed fired Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima from the company, according to Australian singer-songwriter Donna Burke.

Burke, who performed “Heavens Divide” for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and “Sins of the Father” for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, has recently taken to Twitter to express her support for the renowned Japanese developer.

She asked fans not to boycott Kojima’s upcoming open-world stealth title “because upper management fired a genius.” Burke, however, did not elaborate any further on the reasons behind Konami terminating their long-term business relationship with Kojima.

The Phantom Pain, which is Kojima’s final instalment in the franchise, is still in its development phase, as Burke added that “the game is being tested now and some bits [are being] finished off to make it [awesome].” 

Yesterday, Akio Ōtsuka, the Japanese voice actor of Solid Snake and Venom Snake, also came out to support both Kojima and The Phantom Pain on Twitter—Burke originally referenced this tweet before she confirmed that Kojima was fired—in which he assured fans that the development team has not changed and, more importantly, not to cancel their pre-orders for the game.

Last month, news emerged that Kojima would be leaving Konami after the release of The Phantom Pain. It was also believed that Kojima Productions’ staff had restrictions placed on their email and internet access by Konami, while specific individuals, such as Hideo Kojima and Kenichiro Imaizumi, are now considered as ‘contractors’ for the company.

In fact, there were several early signs that have suggested there was a growing rift between Kojima and Konami, including a new Twitter account for the Metal Gear Solid franchise being set up, Kojima Productions’ logo removed from Konami-related products, Kojima’s studio being rebranded and the trademark ‘A Hideo Kojima Game’ being removed from MGS posters.

Kojima, who joined Konami in 1986 as a ‘planner,’ finally broke his silence last month and released a joint statement with Konami that confirmed he is still “100% involved” with The Phantom Pain.

Running on Kojima Productions’ Fox Engine, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will launch worldwide on September 1st, 2015, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The PC version, on the other hand, will be released two weeks after the console launch."

Here are the Twitter messages:

Donna Burke @db_singer_actor

Yes don't throw away the Kojima teams work over the last 5 years because upper management fired a genius

Abd-Ouahed Boussaid @abidouisme

@db_singer_actor Last thing I know, @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN's team was still working on #mgsvtpp. Did something change?

@abidouisme @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN they are still working for sure and the game is being tested now and some bits finished off to make it awesomer

Taken from N4G. Here is the source: http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2015/04/donna-burke-confirms-konami-fired-hideo-kojima-from-the-company/

TL;DR: Kojima is done for.

PS: I apologize for those horrible Twitter messages. I really don't know how to post them so I just copied the text. I hope you can forgive me for this as I only strive to bring you quality information.

EDIT: I'll add the part that I conveniently missed!

Here you go guys!

UPDATE: According to VideoGamer.com, a Konami spokesperson has claimed that Burke’s comments are “categorically incorrect.”

And here is more info thanks to Pie Toast. I'll give credit to Ka-Pi too since he gave the link to videogamer.com first.

"A Konami representative has denied Burke's claims, telling VideoGamer.com that the suggestion Kojima has been fired is "categorically incorrect"."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/kojima_was_fired_by_konami_says_metal_gear_solid_voice_actress.html

-----------------------------------------------------

"The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Because they realized that Splinter Cell was better than Metal Gear Solid confirmed.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Really? This is the worse executive decision since Nintendo fired Gunpei Yokoi.

XanderXT said:

Pretty sure Nintendo didnt fire him...

XanderXT said:

he left nintendo because he failed according to gunpei..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
XanderXT said:

Pretty sure Nintendo didnt fire him...

I think Yokoi resigned after the VirtualBoy.

About Kojima and Konami, what's goin to happen to the company without their biggest creative mind? What were they thinking?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Ka-pi96 said:
Didn't Konami already respond saying that those rumours are false though?

Err... this isnt a joke. Kojima is leaving Konami. Not sure wich rumors you mean.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Didn't Konami already respond saying that those rumours are false though?

Err... this isnt a joke. Kojima is leaving Konami. Not sure wich rumors you mean.

I was referring to this. 'Konami says Burke's claims are "categorically incorrect".'

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/kojima_was_fired_by_konami_says_metal_gear_solid_voice_actress.html

Hmm... not sure i buy the story side of a "konami representative". The actress may be wrong, but she has no reason to lie. A konami representative does.

Yeah, the exact circumstances are still unclear.

Bye Konami, MGS 5 will probably be the last of their games that I will play.

so they basically lost their only source for good games?