By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games on your platform of choice, that you think defines this gen for you?

Maybe the headline was a bit stupid (posted it anyway. Ha!). What must-have games, that either are on your platform(s) of choice or are coming or likely coming to it, makes you feel that the current generation have reached its pinnacle in games quality/your most desired games? Ie. makes you feel you're in gaming heaven. And i mean the combination of all those games. Mine is: SMG MP3 SSBB MK Wii Zelda TP (maybe Zelda Wii) That's my list of games, where this current generation culminates in terms of best gaming experience. Also new F-Zero game, Wave Race and Starfox (flying) games would be nice additions, but not quite in the same level with the ones i previously mentioned.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Wii = Super Mario Galaxy, SPM3, Zelda TP, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and SSBB

XBox 360 = Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto 4, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Alan Wake, Gears of War 2 and Bioshock 2.

PS3 = Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Little Big Planet, Uncharted,Call of Duty 4, Motor Storm 2, Kill Zone 2 and Resistance 2

If I had to say an Eye opening game this generation I would have to say so far, without a doubt, Ratchet and Clank Futures.

The Graphics are beyond amazing, the art direction benefited MASSIVELY from the PS3 hardware, the environments are lush, colorful, and have plenty of life to them, city scapes are bustling with traffic, jungles have exotic creatures flying through the air, it's just breath-taking :)

The hardware itself getting to push such amazing graphics and an un-halting 60 FPS, now that's not much of a feat, but when you see how great this game looks, it'll seem unreal lol.

Content, this game is actually pretty damn big :) It's got plenty of weapons, secrets, you name it ^^ Not the longest game this gen, but for it to look and play so well I was quite taken.

The load times were minimal, the animation in the cut scenes is almost movie like, the audio was fantastic, and the technology behind it all was amazing ^^ This game is the definitive Next Gen title for me by a long shot :)

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

For Wii-
It's games like SMG, Wii Sports, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Wii Play, Guitar Hero 3, Trauma Center, and Wii Fit that really define things. They tend to be more interactive, fun in groups, and have better controls than most past games. Mario Kart, Boom Blox, Battle of the Bands, Deca Sports, and We Ski will continue to define games for Wii.

Your question was several part. All of the above games are not amazing but they are moves in the right direction. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics could of had much better controls and Wii Play had a lot of problems but they were both steps in the right direction that have seen massive sales. We Ski doesn't have the best graphics but it may have the best control and interactive feel of any game this generation. 

If Nintendo starts making games for the Balance Board that also use 1 or 2 wiimotes (like We Ski) than it has a chance at really taking the feeling of console gaming in this generation to the level of arcade gaming (where people play $2 to play a game 1 time). 

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Hmm. That I've already played?
360: Obilvion, Mass Effect, and Bioshock
PS3: Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Going to play:
360: Fable 2, Too Human, and Bioshock 2
PS3: Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Wii: Fragile, FF:CC, and Opoona.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I dunno I'm going to go against the grain and say SMG was not the definitive title for me on the Wii :/ At no point did I feel this couldn't be played on the Gamecube, Wii-sports however felt very in-tuned with the Wii's motion control setup. For me that was the definitive Wii experience. A game tuned for motion control from the ground up and kept the Nintendo feel very much in-tact.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Hahaha... Zelda, Mario and Metroid...right...

the way i see it, Nintendo tends to beat a dead horse over and over and pass the twitching as new and revolutional gaming activity that defines a generation.

My vote goes to Portal, gears of war and I guess mario for being the bes tout of the 3.

Metal Gear Solid 4 WILL be the game that defines this generation. It will be the staple of what high production values, and excellent gameplay are, and how awe inspiring it is when they meet.

DMeisterJ said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 WILL be the game that defines this generation. It will be the staple of what high production values, and excellent gameplay are, and how awe inspiring it is when they meet.

MGS4 looked oh so hot 2 years ago. But graphically it doesn't look much better than your run of the mil adventure game nowadays. I'm not saying it will be bad, just that gmaeplay will make it define this generation, not graphics.

ChronotriggerJM said:
I dunno I'm going to go against the grain and say SMG was not the definitive title for me on the Wii :/ At no point did I feel this couldn't be played on the Gamecube, Wii-sports however felt very in-tuned with the Wii's motion control setup. For me that was the definitive Wii experience. A game tuned for motion control from the ground up and kept the Nintendo feel very much in-tact.

Certainly Zelda could be played on GC without much loss but SMG had lots of control issues where the Wii helped.  For example, mostly what the 2nd player did was use Wii's control features.  Also consider the unique stages that used Wii controls.  But I agree in that Wii Sports did more to define the Wii (I just think they both went a long way to do that).  We do know that the developers of Wii had Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and parts of SMG in mind when they were creating the system.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org