By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Changes to VGChartz

Aeolus451 said:
Conegamer said:
Congrats Trucks! Been looking forward to this for a while. I am glad to have the opportunity to put my work out there for you guys to enjoy, and the same applies for the other writers too. This is a good move for a more united VGC and shows that the site is ever changing to help accommodate what is best for its users.

Speaking of...Database anyone?

Database? Is that one of openings?

In the future, probably. Right now, not really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Insidb said:

I think that's an oversimplification, no?

My company just acquired two companies, and we're working to unify ourselves. Things are going "back to how it was before," but with 5 times the employees and 10 times the resources.

I said that because gamrReview was part of VGC in old days... you could even add user review or stuffs like that... VGC splited in two or three sites at time.

All these feature was part of VGC in the past.

Yessir, there and back again.

Thanks a lot VGC team!!!!

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I dunno, just doesn't seem worth reading without a score. If people don't care about the content when there is a score I doubt that will suddenly change, you'll probably just get less people looking at the reviews in the first place.

Although to be fair I've only actually read 2 of the Gamrreview reviews so far, so it's not as if I'm a regular review reader or anything

No score means that it's an incomplete review. Something that is incomplete is not worth reading. As a reader, you don't just want an answer to the question "Is the game good?", you want to know "How good is it?", so if there is positive text with no score, it could be anything from a 7 to a 10 on a scale of 10.

Now add a scenario where you as a reader have to decide between two games because of whatever constraint in your life; deciding what to buy becomes a needlessly long procedure when you are dealing with reviews that have no scores. That's probably the point where you decide to go to a place with proper reviews.

But what if the reviewer values some aspects more than you do? Or what if he's annoyed by things you don't mind? In both cases, the final numerical score will not reflect how you'd personally enjoy the game. With a pros and cons list, you can easily assess if the pros are really valuable to you and if the cons are true deal breakers for your taste.

Signature goes here!

The score vs non-score debate is interesting and, while I don't mind reviews without scores and I also think that the pros and cons list should be enough, I can understand the reasons given by some to have them.

Maybe we could arrange a middle of the ground situation without scores but with badges or stamps like Eurogamer does now. We could go with 3 situations: normal/good games that wouldn't get a badge, terrible games that would earn a PASS badge, and very good/excellent games that could earn a MUST PLAY distinctive.

Just my 2c.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Machina said:
spurgeonryan said:
I was wondering why I have not seen too many changes here since he started, but he was busy with this right huur.

Since we are on this subject, notifications if someone quotes you on articles or reviews would be nice. A notification system on game walls as well.

Never thought I'd say this...

That's a good idea spurge.

Also, notifications when someone else posts on a wall post that you've posted on, if you weren't the origanl poster, would be nice.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
pbroy said:
Machina said:

Never thought I'd say this...

That's a good idea spurge.

Also, notifications when someone else posts on a wall post that you've posted on, if you weren't the origanl poster, would be nice.

That's already on my list.

Signature goes here!

bunchanumbers said:
Scoreless reviews are the way to go. Pros and cons is more than enough when judging a game. Numerical sores are overrated.

Not really, a terrible game can have a lot of Pros and few cons

Still waiting for a decent quick reply editor and efficient multi-quote system here on the foruns...

Anyway, one thing: With NPD now hunting down leakers, it would be a good oportunity to up the quality of the videogame tracking system. Some media outlets could be interested in getting public figures around the world. But this is up to you.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

rolltide101x said:
bunchanumbers said:
Scoreless reviews are the way to go. Pros and cons is more than enough when judging a game. Numerical sores are overrated.

Not really, a terrible game can have a lot of Pros and few cons

That is why the written review will be important. It will be shown in the review.