By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The financials behind Nintendo going 3rd party

I dont know how anyone can even sugest this after we see the case study that is SEGA. It was the worst decision ever.

Theres alot of losses that many dont account wich comes on the form of not having your fandom concentrated in one platform.

Around the Network
vkaraujo said:
Hard to say. There are 3 questionable points in your OP.

- You are assuming no Nintendo games would sell less. By stating this, you are ignoring loyalty effect toward the big 3, that no Third Party have to this day.
- You are assuming this wouldn't hurt their HH business.
- You are assuming there would be no brand damage.

But it is a good exercise, i will keep an eye.

I don't think Nintendo fans would just stop being loyal to Nintendo because they went multiplat.

Frankly, I see no possible way this could hurt their HH business more than them making mobile games is. Actually I'd argue that in the same way they wanna make mobile games to attract people to their other gaming devices, this could massively expand their audience, and attract people to their future handhelds.

So... what about the costs? Porting their games for three different platforms is more expensive than developing it for one. You didn't take that into account.

But I think it's a great idea anyway.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:
I dont know how anyone can even sugest this after we see the case study that is SEGA. It was the worst decision ever.

Was it? They were nearing bankruptcy when they were still making consoles. They went third party in 2001 and now they are still around 14 years later. Considering if they had kept making consoles they likely would have went bankrupt and wouldn't exist anymore I'd say that was a good decision.

Besides that, on the game quality front I'd say they are now better than ever!

Igonring that troll statement I have to agree with what Ka-Pi said.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Ka-pi96 said:
Good analysis of it. It really does look like a good option for them.

Come on don't call  your desire a good option mr ka-pi!You won't get pokemon on xbox and ps!:P

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:

Was it? They were nearing bankruptcy when they were still making consoles. They went third party in 2001 and now they are still around 14 years later. Considering if they had kept making consoles they likely would have went bankrupt and wouldn't exist anymore I'd say that was a good decision.

You consider this staying around? They retreated to mobiles because they are so incompetent at everything they do. They lost all their talent. It would have been best to just bankrupt. They just went for the slow death instead of the quick one. Now instead of looking at them with nostalgia, we look at the with contempt.

Also, Nintendo is nowhere near banktupting atm. Completely different situation.

Errr... i couldnt disagree more with the last statement. I would like to know wich game they make you think is particularly good.

Anfebious said:
So... what about the costs? Porting their games for three different platforms is more expensive than developing it for one. You didn't take that into account.

I assumed it wouldn't be to costly based on the fact that the systems are so similar in architecture these days. They wouldn't even have to optimize a lot for PC

Nem said:

Theres alot of losses that many dont account wich comes on the form of not having your fandom concentrated in one platform.

To be honest, Sega don't have anywhere near the quality in terms of games that Nintendo do.  Sega first and foremost were all about arcade games really, and then they got took over to the home consoles that they produced.  Games moved on and got more advanced and Sega well...didn't.  They haven't produced a decent AAA since Shenmue which was over 15 years ago.  Nintendo make way way better games than Sega ever did so it wouldn't go the same route if Nintendo did what Sega tried.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Nem said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:

You consider this staying around? They retreated to mobiles because they are so incompetent at everything they do. They lost all their talent. It would have been best to just bankrupt. They just went for the slow death instead of the quick one. Now instead of looking at them with nostalgia, we look at the with contempt.

Also, Nintendo is nowhere near banktupting atm. Completely different situation.

Errr... i couldnt disagree more with the last statement. I would like to know wich game they make you think is particularly good.

They lost all their talent before they went third party. The situation SEGA is in now doesn't come from SEGA going 3rd party, it comes from all the dumb shit they did before they went third party.

Teeqoz said:
Anfebious said:

I assumed it wouldn't be to costly based on the fact that the systems are so similar in architecture these days. They wouldn't even have to optimize a lot for PC

Porting Xenoblade Chronicles X to the PS4 would be like making a new game. And we all know Nintendo and HD development don't go hand by hand.

Also you have to take account the time they would take to develop them game. If nintendo delays games when they develop for one platform what would happen when they develop for 3?