By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The financials behind Nintendo going 3rd party

Ka-pi96 said:
JazzB1987 said:

TBH.

If Nintendo would go third party they would probably have the power to get rid of the platform royalty.

I mean lets say Nintendo talks to Microsoft. It could be a "Nintendo games will be xbox only when we dont have to pay platform royalty" deal

Microsoft could care less about those peanuts because they would gain much more than just some dollars and Sony would have a serious problem.

Wouldn't even need to go Xbox exclusive. I'd be willing to bet Microsoft would be willing to waive the platform royalty if they just went timed exclusive. So they can still get their full money from the Xbox version and then release to PS4 and PC later on as well.

They probably wouldn't even have to go timed exclusive.

Nintendo to MS "Our games will be Playstation exclusives unless we get to pay a smaller than normal third party royalty (let's say 3 dollars)"

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
tak13 said:

What I will say might be poor but Nintendo doesn't make more money on hardware than on software?I think the first is valid(I had seen it in a financial analysis!)...So,it's a no from me!:P

There is basically zero chance Nintendo makes more profit from hardware than software. And I'm not just talking about in this gen, but in other gens like the DS/Wii gen.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/a-deeper-analysis-of-nintendos-financials-why-they-cant-drop-hardware

See that and tell me your opinion!:P

baloofarsan said:
Teeqoz said:
Metallox said:
What about the money that Nintendo makes with hardware? I'm aware that they may not be winning with Wii U, but they may be conscious that a profitable hardware can make much more money than just selling games.

I think I'll add a paragraph about that, although it's a bit difficult because it's very hard to predict what type of hardware they'll go for next. But I can assure you Nintendo makes much more money from their software than they do from their hardware.

Here is an extensive analysis made one and a half years ago:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=740455

Even in that analasys does it say that Nintendo doesn't make more profit from HW than they do from SW. They only make more revenue, which is entirely different.

Ka-pi96 said:

Other developers can develop for 3 platforms and have a high level of quality. So of course Nintendo would be able to as well.

Not really, the highest quality games in the industry come from first party developers. That's why games like Super Mario Galaxy or The Last of Us are so full of quality. The fact that developers can focus their efforts on one platform makes the games a lot better.

Games like Assassin's Creed don't meet that high quality standard since they are developed for too many platforms.

Nintendo third party would mean less high quality games from them.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

tak13 said:
Teeqoz said:

There is basically zero chance Nintendo makes more profit from hardware than software. And I'm not just talking about in this gen, but in other gens like the DS/Wii gen.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/a-deeper-analysis-of-nintendos-financials-why-they-cant-drop-hardware

I tell you the exact same thing I told Baloofarsan, they get more revenue from hardware than software, but software is still much, much more profitable.

Around the Network

I do not think Nintendo needs to think about quitting the hardware business at this point. I do believe they need to unify their platforms (this does not mean having one console, but their portable and home consoles should be cross-compatible to a certain extent in the future; or at the very least allows for easy porting across the two platforms), because right now it is difficult for them to handle developing for two distinct platforms at once and it will give third-party developers some incentive to develop for their systems again since they are targeting two systems with one piece of code .

However, hypothetically speaking, lets say their next-gen is a complete disaster (at which point I would say they should start making some tough choices; by the way, I consider them losing money again for a prolonged period of time a disaster not not being the number #1 in console sales). In such a scenario I would much rather Nintendo go second-party rather than third-party. Firstly, by clearly communicating to their fan-base that they have a targeted a specific platform they can avoid the issue of platform fragmentation (which is caused by fans dispersing to different platforms). Secondly, they would avoid the issues of porting, I read a comment above saying that Nintendo will get used to it, but porting will always be an additional cost and Nintendo has history of delaying games even on consoles they are familiar with (I am talking about N64, GC, Wii) so I expect developing for 2-3 platforms to take a huge toll on Nintendo.

Ka-pi96 said:
tak13 said:
Teeqoz said:

That only shows half of it though. The revenue is higher for hardware yes, but what about actual profit? With the exception of when the Wii and DS were selling ridiculous amounts they revenue for hardware and software wasn't that far apart. It's quite likely the costs of developing/producing/marketing the consoles are more than for their hardware so for actual profit software may well be ahead.

Not just likely, pretty much guaranteed. They have to pay for the hardware they put inside the consoles lol.

Anfebious said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Other developers can develop for 3 platforms and have a high level of quality. So of course Nintendo would be able to as well.

Not really, the highest quality games in the industry come from first party developers. That's why games like Super Mario Galaxy or The Last of Us are so full of quality. The fact that developers can focus their efforts on one platform makes the games a lot better.

Games like Assassin's Creed don't meet that high quality standard since they are developed for too many platforms.

Nintendo third party would mean less high quality games from them.

I dont think this is true.  Games like Assassins Creed dont meet high quality standards because Ubisoft dont give a damn about shoving garbage out the door in order to make money.  There are literally hundreds of examples of multiplatform games going out and being polished.  Hell, even Ubisoft manage it themselves with titles like Rayman.

Nintendo going third party wouldn't meana drop in quality.  Nintendo would just do what they always do and release a game when its ready, not when some big wigs tell them to (even if its unfinished and buggy).

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

In a future, Nintendo will develop their games and upload in a Nintencloud. There, you can download to your NX Portable or your NX Console. In some decades, to your PC, tablet or smartphones.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

AnthonyW86 said:
zorg1000 said:
Idk u also have to take into account money they make from consoles, controllers, accessories, and they no longer make 100% back on digital sales.

FY 2012-2014 are the only times that Nintendo has posted losses and alot of that comes from them selling their hardware at a loss for pretty much the first time. Basically as long as Nintendo hardware is sold at a profit than Nintendo makes a profit so I see no need for them to go third party in the near future.

Because they miss out on huge amounts of software sales by keeping their games exclusive to a console with a very limited install base. Also they could still make controllers and accessories. They could easily sell Amiibo on ps4/xone for example, plus a tablet controller, motion controller you name it.

Also Nintendo could easily strike a deal with either Sony or Microsoft that would lower or even dismiss any royalty's they would have to pay. 

Well that's why I think Nintendo should simply unify their console and handheld markets by making a single unified platform available in 2-3 different form factors (console, portable, tablet) that share a software library.

Games like Tropical Freeze, 3D World, etc. would sell much, much better if they also had the 3DS install base to sell to, so this fixes that problem and since Nintendo wouldn't be forced to make 2 seperate entries of all their major franchises they could now start to diversify and make new ip at a faster rate, increasing their chances of creating the next Pokemon or Minecraft style craze among children.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.