By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The financials behind Nintendo going 3rd party

kristianity77 said:

I dont think this is true.  Games like Assassins Creed dont meet high quality standards becuse Ubisoft dont give a damn about shoving garbage out the door in order to make money.  There are literally hundreds of examples of multiplatform games going out accross multiple platforms and being polished.  Hell, even Ubisoft manage it themselves with titles like Rayman.

Nintendo going third party wouldn't meana drop in quality.  Nintendo would just do what they always do and release a game when its ready, not when some big wigs tell them to (even if its unfinished and buggy).

Nintendo already does that. The Legend of Zelda for Wii U is getting delayed and the game is being developed for just one console.

Now imagine Nintendo trying to develop it for 3 "similar" consoles. That would mean even more delays. High quality games take time but trying to achieve that level of quality in 3 platforms isn't easy.

It's all about the quality man.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

If I told someone in 2009 that we will be having threads like these people will laugh at me. Nintendo having worst home console, Sony having PS2 like sales and Microsoft being Microsoft. How things changes in a few years.

On a personal note (which I have stated earlier); I am not interested in Nintendo IPs ATM. What used to make Nintendo isn't exclusive to Nintendo. I was a little interested in Zelda. But it got delayed and Witcher 3 will do its job (play an epic adventure) quite well.

Teeqoz said:
ihatefatkatz said:

But wouldn't it be better to reallocate those resource into making more content for their handheld? 3DS isn't teeming with games at the moment and chugging out games in a frequent maner will be harder as the future handheld games will be demand more time with the stronger hardware.

Hypothetically speaking, if home console market isn't viable for them anymore, dedicating their development resources into the handheld what be a better move than developing content for Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Take Mario Kart. One of Nintendo's huge sellers. They already make one Mario Kart for their handhelds, if they then make one mulitplat Mario Kart they would get huge sales from both their HHs and the multiplat release. 

10 million HH Mario Kart + 10 million (at least) multiplat Mario Kart > 10 million HH Mario Kart + 2 million HH smaller game.

I understand your point, as you are looking at a profit  (money making) point of view, but you are missing mine as (perhaps I wasn't clear). I was highlighting how going thrid party can be detrimental to Nintendo handheld business.

At the moment Nintendo has difficulties supporting two consoles. The 3DS and Wii U have had numerous droughts and hardware sales have suffered from it. This is true and has been well documented.

If, for example, Nintendo does drop the home console hardware business for next gen and develops for Sony/microsoft hardware, there's a high possibility that there handheld could suffer similar drought's. Making games for another platform, while your very own system suffocates from a lack of content isn't exactly a good long term business strategy.

Furthermore, I think feeding one console with regularly games can rejuvenate hardware sales for Nintendo.

Teeqoz said:

First of all, this is not a thread saying Nintendo will or should go third party. This is a thread to shed some light on what would change, and the goods and the bads of Nintendo going third party. I would also like to note that this is strictly about them going 3rd party on home consoles, but they would/should keep on making their own handhelds.

This kind of thread comes around quite regularly so I will only post links for your reading pleasure:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/index.html

You will find A LOT of information on this site. You can read and analyse for a week or more.

Ka-pi96 said:

Quality is hard to say one way or the other. Personally I usually prefer 3rd party games. So how about we use metacritic?

On metacritic there are 51 PS3 games with a 90+ rating. I only count 12 exclusives there, so that means 39 were multiplat games.
How about Xbox 360? 54 90+ games. I count 11 exclusives there (including ME 1/2 which were timed), so 43 multiplat games.

In both cases there are many more highly rated multiplat games than exclusives. So why can't Nintendo be one of those highly rated 3rd party developers?

Sony and Microsoft get most of their sales from third party games so it's not surprising to see more high quality third party games on the list.

Let's look at the Wii now. Games wiht 90+ are 14. Out of those, there are 8 first party titles and 6 third party games.

Nintendo software is the one that drives the hardware and the other way around. The fact that the Wii U is a POS is driving the software down.

Nintendo doesn't need to go third party they need to get both hardware and software right.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

It's very possible that their home console department would earn more but I don't consider developing for PS4/Xbone/PC a good option.

- Profits could increase, yes, but it would come at the cost of having control over the hardware.

- As long as they have their portable consoles it would make more sense to simply ditch home consoles altogether and move resources to their handheld systems.

- If it's all about the money I believe going mobile would be more profitable than going for other Playstation and Xbone.

Anfebious said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Quality is hard to say one way or the other. Personally I usually prefer 3rd party games. So how about we use metacritic?

On metacritic there are 51 PS3 games with a 90+ rating. I only count 12 exclusives there, so that means 39 were multiplat games.
How about Xbox 360? 54 90+ games. I count 11 exclusives there (including ME 1/2 which were timed), so 43 multiplat games.

In both cases there are many more highly rated multiplat games than exclusives. So why can't Nintendo be one of those highly rated 3rd party developers?

Sony and Microsoft get most of their sales from third party games so it's not surprising to see more high quality third party games on the list.

Let's look at the Wii now. Games wiht 90+ are 14. Out of those, there are 8 first party titles and 6 third party games.

Nintendo software is the one that drives the hardware and the other way around. The fact that the Wii U is a POS is driving the software down.

Nintendo doesn't need to go third party they need to get both hardware and software right.

That does not take from the fact that many devs manage to make quality games despite developping for multiple, and far more different platforms than the PS4/XBO/PC, so there's no reason why Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same. Sure, it'll be a big change, but if they ease their way into it, by making their devs getting used to the dev kits for the new platforms before they start the actual shift, I don't see why Nintendo would suddenly start making shit games.

Ka-pi96 said:

Which is much more to do with 3rd parties ignoring the Wii than it being hard to develop for multiple platforms...

That's besides the point because the Wii was a success! Enought proof that Nintendo can drive it's bussiness with both hardware and first party software.

Anfebious said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Which is much more to do with 3rd parties ignoring the Wii than it being hard to develop for multiple platforms...

That's besides the point because the Wii was a success! Enought proof that Nintendo can drive it's bussiness with both hardware and first party software.

Both you and I know the Wii was a fluke. You shouldn't base your business around the fact that "But there's a 0.01% chance we'll get lucky again "

Teeqoz said:

That does not take from the fact that many devs manage to make quality games despite developping for multiple, and far more different platforms than the PS4/XBO/PC, so there's no reason why Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same. Sure, it'll be a big change, but if they ease their way into it, by making their devs getting used to the dev kits for the new platforms before they start the actual shift, I don't see why Nintendo would suddenly start making shit games.

True, but i don't think Nintendo going third party is necessary for now. It's not the worst idea but I see no reason for them to do it.

As long as Nintendo can provide quality hardware (Something the Wii U didn't provide) and quality software there is no need for them to go third party.