By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Game Informer Opinion - What is the PS4 Going to do this Christmas?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/03/opinion-what-is-the-ps4-going-to-do-this-christmas.aspx

They sound concerned

The PlayStation 4 is doing well as the console continues to fortify its foothold this generation, and with exclusive hit Bloodborne just released. But trouble is on the horizon. The are currently no first-party titles officially scheduled for the system during the all-important holiday season. This will surely change, but the company could be in for a rough Christmas.

Sony could announce one or more big first-party games for the PS4 this Christmas at E3, but what can realistically come out in time? Guerrilla Games is working on a new IP, Sony Santa Monica is doing a new God of War, and Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo 7), Quantic Dream, and Media Molecule are working on unannounced projects. In my experience, it seems unlikely that any of those titles are going to be suddenly announced at E3 and then rushed out for a release in 2015.

Perhaps a way forward for Sony this holiday season would be to strike a deal with a third-party title for a timed exclusive. Hello Games' No Man Sky already fits this bill, but at the moment the game only has a nebulous 2015 release date. Hopefully Sony announces a firm holiday release date for the title, and the PS4 gets some bullets back in its chamber.

Last Christmas, Sony's first-party developers neither bombarded the platform nor hit home runs with their holiday titles – with all due respect to Driveclub and LittleBigPlanet 3 – but it didn't hamper the momentum of the PS4 through the holiday season. But if you're Sony, do you want to coast through another holiday season when your main competition is coming to the fight with Halo 5 as well as many of the same third-party titles? 

The pressure is on Sony this E3, which should make for an interesting show for the company and possibly an uneasy Christmas.

Around the Network

I think xboxone win holiday due to price so if Sony cut the price and get big 3rd party deals they can win the holiday

I'd wait for E3. If nothing worthwhile is announced, then we can go crazy.

They will drop the price

They'll win as they did last Christmas. Why is everyone focused so heavily on Christmas anyway?

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

I'd be concerned if this was post E3, but it isn't so I'm not concerned at all.

Outside of the US I don't think it'll really matter. The PS4 has such a strong grip on most of the world that it will likely be able to secure a WW sales victory with just 3rd party titles and marketing deals. They might even be able to take the US (or at least draw there) if they introduce a price cut.

It is still a little disappointing though. Their line-up for most of the year looks great, but it's always nice to have something during the holidays. Hopefully they can magic something up at E3.

GribbleGrunger said:
They'll win as they did last Christmas. Why is everyone focused so heavily on Christmas anyway?

its the only part of the year when MS can win in the US and maybe the UK if they have serious price promotions. its really that simple. 

Zekkyou said:
Outside of the US I don't think it'll really matter. The PS4 has such a strong grip on most of the world that it will likely be able to secure a WW sales victory with just 3rd party titles and marketing deals. They might even be able to take the US (or at least draw there) if they introduce a price cut.

It is still a little disappointing though. Their line-up for most of the year looks great, but it's always nice to have something during the holidays. Hopefully they can magic something up at E3.

Level 5 is going to have an event in 3-4 days, where its likely they are going to announce their big PS4 game. we could see it releasing this holiday. also there is still E3, where we might see a ratchet and clank reveal for the holiday (it was originally said to be releasing this summer) and you never know if sony are gonna announce a new game for the holidays, they did so last year at E3 with LBP3. 

bananaking21 said:

its the only part of the year when MS can win in the US and maybe the UK if they have serious price promotions. its really that simple. 

I kind of get that but the way the media talk about it it's as if Christmas is 'crucial' the the success of the PS4. It's almost as if ALL the data so far gets forgotten.

The PS5 Exists.