By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dont be shocked if PS4 crosses 50 million mark by September 2016

Your reaction?

Shark, are you high? 87 18.55%

Calm down bro. 93 19.83%

Its possible. 224 47.76%

Are you from future? 25 5.33%

Its Obamas fault. 40 8.53%

Total:469
Welfare said:
Won't happen.

September 2016 would be equivalent of September 2009 and the Wii was at 56.140m shipped at that time. We already see the PS4 is slowing compared to the Wii, and it won't be able to match the Wii in total sales in that time frame.

Looking at how even worse this prediction looks, in Q4 of 2008, the year before, the Wii shipped 10.41m units. it went into 2009 with 44.96m units shipped. Then in Q1 of 2009 it shipped an additional 5.43m.

The PS4 can't match those types of shipments. No ands, ifs, or buts. 50 million at the end of 2016 could happen, but before then? Not happening.

keep hopeing, the more fun it is when Ps4 crushes all the naysayers.

Price cut slim model and the likes of Uncharted GT GOW will make it happen.  

Around the Network
alternine said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Have you seen some of the other threads about the PS4 on this site?

Some people are still under the hype it seems.

People are still saying the ps4 is selling in hype? Lol come on now

I'm talking about these prediction threads lately. If you've seen even any of the recent PS4 prediction threads you'd know what i'm talking about. 

Namiirei said:
PenguinZ said:

Different times, different circumstances. Sony will probably take the route that makes them the most profit. Bundles are far more likely than a price cut and if there is a price cut it'd probably only be $50.

50$ pricecut is useless.

they will drop the price by 100$, especially after the xone drop to 300.

Well if it's not $50... Then I guess Sony will wait until 2017 for a price cut. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

I don't see it. 45 million would be more reasonable, but even that, I feel, is a stretch.

Its thé least to expect

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
PieToast said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
i hope not

Me too. More console sales could be toxic to the gaming industry.

You know, when it is the PS4 that is getting the sales while offering nothing but remasters and let downs, that is toxic. I wish people would wake up and get off the hype train. There is nothing to be hyped about. Believe me, if PS4 had something to offer then I would be sitting here saying it deserves 50 million. But I dont think it deserves it for what it has been offering consumers since it released and I therefore hope it does not reach what the OP is predicting. Excuse me for having my own opinion. 

Let's see. the ps4 has been on the mark for the past 15.5 months according to the last time vgchartz was updated, and has sold 20.5 million units. Given that second and third years tend to sell more than the first, I don't see how 30 million in 18 months is unreasonable. I'm not saying I think it's a definite, but it's certainly possible.

PieToast said:

You know, when it is the PS4 that is getting the sales while offering nothing but remasters and let downs, that is toxic. I wish people would wake up and get off the hype train. There is nothing to be hyped about. Believe me, if PS4 had something to offer then I would be sitting here saying it deserves 50 million. But I dont think it deserves it for what it has been offering consumers since it released and I therefore hope it does not reach what the OP is predicting. Excuse me for having my own opinion. 

Bla bla bla hate, bla bla bla PS4 has no games, bla bla bla PS4 is only hype... 

OK then thanks for your GREAT and ORIGINAL point of view.

This is a year where the PS4 may have: SF, Uncharted 4, God of War 4, GT7, KH or FF (Japan) & VR. I don't know about 50 Million by September 2016 but it can be a huge year. Could be the PS4's peak year even if we get a price cut in 2015!

PieToast said: