By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could we possibly see Nintendo incorporate more frequent hardware refreshes with NX?

Soundwave said:

Mobile chips can scale like crazy. This is the new PowerVR 7XT series, the GPUs that will be in next wave of iPhones/iPads

Goes from 83 GFLOPS, all the way up to like 1.5 TFLOPS (PS4 level, of course that TDP of that config would be far too hot for a portable, but a home device ... easy peasy). 

Actually, GT7900 is rated at around 800GFLOPS in FP32, and double that in FP16 (PS4 is 1.84TFLOPS FP32)...but more or less, I see what you're getting at, so I won't jump in anymore.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Soundwave said:

Mobile chips can scale like crazy. This is the new PowerVR 7XT series, the GPUs that will be in next wave of iPhones/iPads

Goes from 83 GFLOPS, all the way up to like 1.5 TFLOPS (PS4 level, of course that TDP of that config would be far too hot for a portable, but a home device ... easy peasy). 

Actually, GT7900 is rated at around 800GFLOPS in FP32, and double that in FP16 (PS4 is 1.84TFLOPS FP32)...but more or less, I see what you're getting at, so I won't jump in anymore.

You wouldn't happen to know how many watts the GT7900 consumes in FP32 would you? 

Pavolink said:
I think hardware will not be an important part in the Nintendo's future. Maybe they will develop an OS like iOS or Android were they will upload games. Some can be played on your portable (smarthphone) or others on your console (tablet). Some even on both, and of course, they will look better on your console.

That's same idea with Nintendo Fusion and this is what I want to say

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
zorg1000 said:
Player2 said:

Good idea, the Multi-Mega saved Sega after all...

That's not the same scenario at all, Sega kept releasing new hardware that didn't get adequate support. This is more like what Apple does where they release new hardware with a performance boost and some new minor tweaks/features but all games/apps are still compatible on previous models. It's not until a device is 3+ generations old that it stops getting supported.

New 3DS is a good example, it released just under 4 years after the original and has double the CPU cores and double the RAM which allows for faster loading times and has some new features like NFC support and Super-Stable 3D (replace with resolution increase). Doing incremental upgrades like this every 2-3 years would be fine, it's not until the 3rd or 4th version that original stops getting supported but by that point it got 6+ years of support so still a full cycle.

I'll take it, you don't know what the Multi-Mega is.

Player2 said:
zorg1000 said:
Player2 said:

Good idea, the Multi-Mega saved Sega after all...

That's not the same scenario at all, Sega kept releasing new hardware that didn't get adequate support. This is more like what Apple does where they release new hardware with a performance boost and some new minor tweaks/features but all games/apps are still compatible on previous models. It's not until a device is 3+ generations old that it stops getting supported.

New 3DS is a good example, it released just under 4 years after the original and has double the CPU cores and double the RAM which allows for faster loading times and has some new features like NFC support and Super-Stable 3D (replace with resolution increase). Doing incremental upgrades like this every 2-3 years would be fine, it's not until the 3rd or 4th version that original stops getting supported but by that point it got 6+ years of support so still a full cycle.

Sorry, I thought u were talking about Sega constantly moving from one platform to the next, Sega CD-1992, 32x-1994, Saturn-1995, Dreamcast-1999

But I just looked up Multi-Mega, I'm not sure how it relates to the topic? Care to elaborate

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

No. It would be bad. What Nintendo could do is release new consoles every 4 years with the same architecture so that BC is still happening. They just need to make sure that the entire library can do it too. Add that with a unified front for handhelds and consoles and you got a winner.

Soundwave said:

According to this http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr/powervr-series7xt-gpus-push-graphics-and-compute-performance

• PowerVR GT7400: 4 shading clusters, 128 ALU cores
  • PowerVR GT7900: 16 shading clusters, 512 ALU cores
Seem like perfect HH.HC lil bro/big bro config.    HH could be qHD/Vita res. and the console of course full 1080p.  

zorg1000 said:
Player2 said:

Sorry, I thought u were talking about Sega constantly moving from one platform to the next, Sega CD-1992, 32x-1994, Saturn-1995, Dreamcast-1999

But I just looked up Multi-Mega, I'm not sure how it relates to the topic? Care to elaborate

It's basically a better Genesis, more powerful, runs some extra games, does some extra stuff like CD playback, released 5-6 years after the original Genesis. Isn't it what you want for the NX?

Soundwave said:
HoloDust said:

You wouldn't happen to know how many watts the GT7900 consumes in FP32 would you? 

No idea really. I know that Tegra X1 uses 10W for its peak performance of 512GFLOPS (FP32).

For example, X1 runs Manhattan with around 1.5W vs 2.67W of A8X for equal performance, both on 20nm. So I'm really interested to see what Imagination's Series 7XT are pulling at 14/16nm vs nVidia.

Player2 said:
zorg1000 said:
Player2 said:

It's basically a better Genesis, more powerful, runs some extra games, does some extra stuff like CD playback, released 5-6 years after the original Genesis. Isn't it what you want for the NX?

Well by the time that came out, their next-gen device (Sega Saturn) was about to release so Multi-Mega didn't really get any support and didn't it cost like $399? That's way too much for a device that's essentially an upgraded 6 year old console that has few future releases.

Like i said, this plan is more akin to 3DS to New 3DS, every 3 years or so release an upgrade that increases performance and has a few added features, but 99% of games/apps are still compatible with the older model. Maybe the by the time the 3rd version releases, the first one will be outdated but that would be 6 years after it launched, meaning it still recieved a full cycle of support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.