By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could we possibly see Nintendo incorporate more frequent hardware refreshes with NX?

The reason i buy consoles is because i want standardized hardware that will last at least 4-5 years

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

No. Expectations of one market are not the same as the other. People buying dedicated gaming devices expect a minimal amount of support. Whether that support is supposed to continue or not, constant actual upgrades shatter consumer confidence as they feel support for their device is under endless threat. Also, those specs are atrocious. A Wii U level home console launching in 2017? Better be $99 if you don't want to be laughed out of the industry and even then it would be a joke. You realized by that time, used PS4s and Xbones will be at or bellow that price. Shoot, new ones will be getting close to that price if not being there already. Also, Nintendo making a raw tablet? What would compel them to do that? That market is over saturated; it is a bloodbath for anyone not already established. Sorry, but the whole strategy in the op is full of holes and overall a dreadful plan.

This.

Captain_Yuri said:
zorg1000 said:
Captain_Yuri said:
God I hope not... The idea is so bad

Well obviously u don't like it because u are completely against the idea of Nintendo unifying their platforms.

I am against them having the same games on both platforms... They can unify it all they want just as so long as they make the games use the respective platform's advantages (like the consoles' extra horse power) and not have the same games on both devices

But this isn't even about that... Consoles =/= phones... It takes time to make games for consoles so having a yearly release would be a nightmare for the developers as well as many other things... Then again, expecting someone that came up with this horrible idea to understand the implications of this isn't worth it

How would it be a nightmare for developers? That's like saying it's a nightmare to develop for the iPad Air 2 compared to the iPhone 6 or iPad Mini 3.

They are all seperate devices that share a common unified architecture making it extremely easy to port/scale games to one another. That's what this scenario is. 3 different form factors that each get upgraded every 3 years. How is that any different that 3DS/3DS XL getting upgraded to New 3DS/New 3DS XL?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It can work if the console starts off very powerful, with only the mobile versions being upgraded (until they reach the console version), then a new gen would start.

Reason being, you start by making the best version of the game on the highest assets, then downscale properly. The mobile-home gap would shrink with each mobile upgrade, but more importantly, you aren't "moving both goal posts" to cause Ninty, and even 3rd parties confusion. Also, the home version will always be considered more optional vs. the others so that should not be prioritized, but mainly used as a benchmark/highest standard, of its gen.

zorg1000 said:
Captain_Yuri said:
zorg1000 said:
Captain_Yuri said:
God I hope not... The idea is so bad

Well obviously u don't like it because u are completely against the idea of Nintendo unifying their platforms.

I am against them having the same games on both platforms... They can unify it all they want just as so long as they make the games use the respective platform's advantages (like the consoles' extra horse power) and not have the same games on both devices

But this isn't even about that... Consoles =/= phones... It takes time to make games for consoles so having a yearly release would be a nightmare for the developers as well as many other things... Then again, expecting someone that came up with this horrible idea to understand the implications of this isn't worth it

How would it be a nightmare for developers? That's like saying it's a nightmare to develop for the iPad Air 2 compared to the iPhone 6 or iPad Mini 3.

They are all seperate devices that share a common unified architecture making it extremely easy to port/scale games to one another. That's what this scenario is. 3 different form factors that each get upgraded every 3 years. How is that any different that 3DS/3DS XL getting upgraded to New 3DS/New 3DS XL?

No its not... Developing for the ipad/iphone is not the samething as developing for console/handheld... Majority of the games on mobile can get developed in less than a year where as developing on consoles/handhelds take much longer and no, having the same architecture and same blah wont speed up development by that much... There is a reason why there are hardly any games on mobile that are like consoles outside of the performance factor. On top of that, having new and stronger hardware each year will confuse the developer and anger the fans cause the developers won't know which one to develop for cause they dont know which one will get them the most amount or userbase and only developing for the lowest one limits the potential of the games. And the fans will feel betrayed cause what they bought is now useless...

That works for phones because the mobile games can get away with only using the lowest one since most dont take much effort to make and that phones are essentially required these days so they get new customers each year where as that is not the case for dedicated gaming devices. The n3ds is just a better 3ds experience and thats it. What u r suggesting is nothing like that...

It always amazes me how people like u that have so little understanding of how things work proven by ur threads and statements always come up with the worst ideas... Maybe there is a connection

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
zorg1000 said:

What do u mean a minimal amount of support? Each device is getting a minimum 5-6 years of support, games will scale up/down to each device so all games released during generation 2 will still be playable on generation 1 devices just at different resolution/graphic settings, it wouldn't be until generation 3 that gen 1 devices start to be unable to play latest games which is 6 years after release.

A Wii U level system can't succeed in 2017 just like a Gamecube level system couldn't succeed in 2006 when the rest of the industry was moving onto HD development and photo-realistic visuals......oh wait it sold 100 million and won the generation!!!!!! Obviously I'm not saying this device would sell on par or even close to Wii levels but selling 3-5 million/year (similar to GC/WiiU) is possible while being sold at a hefty profit.

I said with the same form-factor as Wii U gamepad so not a standard tablet.

It doesn't matter if the support is planned to be there, constant spec updates give the APEARANCE that support could end at any moment.  Just look at the panic ensuing from the slight implication that the Wii U may possibly perhaps have a lifespan slightly smaller than five years.  Maybe.  Now imagine that kind of confidence erosion every single year.  Appearances matter, a very great deal.

There were a host of factors surrounding the Wii's success that are no longer present today.  Things change.  HD was not a widespread thing in 2006 and HD development was in its infancy with early efforts not even comparing to later one.  The early fumblings and the ubiquity of standard def televisions helped mitigate the issues of the Wii's performance issues.  But even so, the Wii outperformed the original Xbox in real world performance, so your point is invalid.  It wasn't a giant leap like the 360 and PS3,  but it was a noticeable improvement over the GC.  That combined with early HD development issues and standard ref's widespread use in the early days did a lot to help the Wii avoid too much backlash.  And the Wii caught the attention of a neighboring demographic that is no longer interested at all in dedicated devices. And the Wii brought a reinvention of gameplay that captured imaginations;  that ain't happening in 2017 at $250 most likely.  

Also don't compare your proposal to the Wii.  The Wii was a cut above the original Xbox in real world performance and noticeably better than the GC.  What you are proposing would be like if the Wii was a pinch weaker than the Dreamcast.  The power gap between PS5 your proposed device would be so absurd as to be comical.  

People don't freak out and think games/apps are going to stop coming to iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2 now that iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 are out, so ur just making up an excuse.

Not a single person in the world gave a fuck that Wii was ever so slightly more powerful than Xbox, they bought it because of its games/features not because it was 10% more powerful than a 5 year old console.

Again, I'm not proposing that such a device is going to sell Wii numbers but something like this could be attainable.

Console, 3-5 million/year

Portable, 5-7 million/year

Tablet, 7-8 million/year

Total, 15-20 million/year

Which is similar to 3DS+Wii U annual sales

Edit: I also said in the OP that it was just a basic example, not that I'm necessarily saying it has to be exactly like this, just the basic concept of hardware refinements every 3 or so years for each form factor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:

It doesn't matter if the support is planned to be there, constant spec updates give the APEARANCE that support could end at any moment.  Just look at the panic ensuing from the slight implication that the Wii U may possibly perhaps have a lifespan slightly smaller than five years.  Maybe.  Now imagine that kind of confidence erosion every single year.  Appearances matter, a very great deal.

There were a host of factors surrounding the Wii's success that are no longer present today.  Things change.  HD was not a widespread thing in 2006 and HD development was in its infancy with early efforts not even comparing to later one.  The early fumblings and the ubiquity of standard def televisions helped mitigate the issues of the Wii's performance issues.  But even so, the Wii outperformed the original Xbox in real world performance, so your point is invalid.  It wasn't a giant leap like the 360 and PS3,  but it was a noticeable improvement over the GC.  That combined with early HD development issues and standard ref's widespread use in the early days did a lot to help the Wii avoid too much backlash.  And the Wii caught the attention of a neighboring demographic that is no longer interested at all in dedicated devices. And the Wii brought a reinvention of gameplay that captured imaginations;  that ain't happening in 2017 at $250 most likely.  

Also don't compare your proposal to the Wii.  The Wii was a cut above the original Xbox in real world performance and noticeably better than the GC.  What you are proposing would be like if the Wii was a pinch weaker than the Dreamcast.  The power gap between PS5 your proposed device would be so absurd as to be comical.  

People don't freak out and think games/apps are going to stop coming to iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2 now that iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 are out, so ur just making up an excuse.

Not a single person in the world gave a fuck that Wii was ever so slightly more powerful than Xbox, they bought it because of its games/features not because it was 10% more powerful than a 5 year old console.

Again, I'm not proposing that such a device is going to sell Wii numbers but something like this could be attainable.

Tablet, 7-8 million/year

The two markets are different for goodness sake how can you not see that?  Of course no one gives a **** about game support on their phone or tablet, those are not dedicated gaming devices.  They're phones and tablets.  The games are a fringe benefit.  When someone spends over $200 on a dedicated gaming device, their expectations are different.  Games are THEcore function, without them the device is useless.  They aren't a fringe benefit, they're everything.  So the constant implication that your device may at any moment lose support erodes confidence.  The markets are different.  Consumer expectations are different.  Also, you are presuming that all the factors I listed did nothing to help the Wii;  that is an extremely bold assumption.

Hell no. I hate the constant revisions of the 3ds, let alone this plan

Nuvendil said:
zorg1000 said:

Tablet, 7-8 million/year

The two markets are different for goodness sake how can you not see that?  Of course no one gives a **** about game support on their phone or tablet, those are not dedicated gaming devices.  They're phones and tablets.  The games are a fringe benefit.  When someone spends over $200 on a dedicated gaming device, their expectations are different.  Games are THEcore function, without them the device is useless.  They aren't a fringe benefit, they're everything.  So the constant implication that your device may at any moment lose support erodes confidence.  The markets are different.  Consumer expectations are different.  Also, you are presuming that all the factors I listed did nothing to help the Wii;  that is an extremely bold assumption.

I understand that they are different markets, the point still stands that people are for the most part smart enough to realize that these types of upgrades, the older models don't lose support as soon as a new model releases. Maybe this example is better, did people freak out about 3DS losing support now that New 3DS is available?

I didn't mention ur factors because they are irrelevant to the discussion, the fact is that nobody bought Wii due to it being more powerful than Xbox, that was a complete non-factor in Wii's success. If Wii was slightly weaker than Xbox, it would have been just as popular.

Nah, Nintendo ain't about that life.