By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Say Something About Your Country :-)!!

Canada. It can actually get really hot (last year in my city it was almost 40 degrees!)

Around the Network
mikrolik said:
America: Where seemingly half the population constantly claim it's the greatest nation on Earth and defend it at every opportunity, citing freedom and the American dream; and the other half constantly criticize it and claim it's a horrible place, with fat arrogant citizens and a corrupt government.

My opinion; there's some good, some not so good, but overall I like it.

America is a continent, not a country. You mean the US, which is part of North America. It seems US education, speacially geography, leaves much to be desired...

From Ireland : A small modern country with an econmy largely reliant on the IT industry, where foreignors think it looks like a hallmark card from 1912. Even nat geo fill into this false belief.  It's filled with passionate people who would sooner lose a nut than pay for water. Everything is principle based.

Currently live in the US: land of the obsessed and home of the slave.

cycycychris said:
USA, We call it soccer, deal with!

England, I'm shaking my fist with rage!

Also it's very very rainy here..

Delicious, delicious games.

TheVoraciousFox said:
cycycychris said:
USA, We call it soccer, deal with!

England, I'm shaking my fist with rage!

Also it's very very rainy here..

We call it football (NFL) now shut up and throw it.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
UK - Yes we really do drink that much tea.

But I hate tea. :'(

Delicious, delicious games.

Fededx said:
mikrolik said:
America: Where seemingly half the population constantly claim it's the greatest nation on Earth and defend it at every opportunity, citing freedom and the American dream; and the other half constantly criticize it and claim it's a horrible place, with fat arrogant citizens and a corrupt government.

My opinion; there's some good, some not so good, but overall I like it.

America is a continent, not a country. You mean the US, which is part of North America. It seems US education, speacially geography, leaves much to be desired...

I take it that you had a bad day or something?

Rogerioandrade said:
S.Peelman said:

The Netherlands

Amsterdam is the biggest city, with a population of almost 800,000. It is also our capital, but as the only country in the world (I think), our capital is ceremonial only, because our government is located elsewhere in The Hague.

That was a pleasurable read, actually. Thanks for posting.

This situation also happens in Bolivia, where the official capital is Sucre (but government offices are located in La Paz)

Thanks!

So there is another. I wasn't sure, because it's a strange situation. One learns something every day .

EDIT:

In our case (to elaborate ), The Hague was the place where the 'Stadthouder' (freely translated to 'keeper of the city'), who were rulers of the Burgundian Netherlands (more or less today's Netherlands and Belgium) in place when the German/Austrian (Holy Roman) or Spanish King or Emperor was absent, would rule in his stead. Stadthouder as such was a title for people mostly like what you would now call a 'governor'. At that time, our current house of parliament, or the oldest part of it anyway built as a castle around 1250, was used as their palace and their place of regency. The capital was an honorary title for a city and moved from place to place, depending on which county the current Stadthouder came from.

After our independence, the new Stadhouders kept ruling from The Hague, with a function more in line of a president today and The Hague became the permanent seat of government. There was never an official capital appointed, but defacto, it was The Hague. After our country was conquered by Napoleon in 1795, he disbanded the government and put his own puppet government in place led by his younger brother Louis (who ended up liking the Netherlands more than his brother's Empire and didn't really listen to Napoleon himself). He also demanded an official capital to be appointed by law. This capital became Amsterdam, which was the biggest and most important city (which it already had been). Louis briefly reigned from Amsterdam.

A little under two decades later however, when Napoleon's Empire fell in 1813, we regained our independence and welcomed back the last Stadthouder, who had gone into exile and was offered the title of King, to reunite the country. The original houses of parliament were reinstated, but Amsterdam never lost it's official status of capital. A situation that remains today.

Canada. We are a large country, and have a prime minister. Oh and we haev Tim Horton's. And that everything else is America 1.0. Oh and we have EB Games instead of Gamestop. And we have oil, lots of it. And more oil, and more oil after that.

Norway.

We have fish, oil, money from oil, more oil, and more money from oil. And nice mountains and fjords and shit. And oil.