By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Bloodborne a Masterpiece?

Is Bloodborne a Masterpiece

Yes 173 73.62%

No 62 26.38%

Total:235
BuffaloKiller said:

It has a lot of outstanding lore, but it is not told directly, these games are more about the gameplay, mystery and lore then story telling, but it is very well done. The story depends on how many npc's you find in the world, lore you find./

That's not story dude; that's called "world building." It's completely different, and it's not something that should be downplayed. Lore is a tool of world building, not story telling. None of the Souls games have "good stories." They have extremely simple, straight forward stories. Each of them though, even DS2, have some of the deepest world building in gaming.

That's why I hate when people say that Metroid Prime "tells it's story through exploration." It doesn't. It tells it's story the same way every other game does. It builds its world through exploration. And it's just as good in that reguard as Souls games.

Around the Network

The story is good, but the story of the game is something you need to discover yourself and puzzle together. if you speed run the game without looking around and exploring, you might actually miss out on the story.

I managed to piece together a few notes that have given me an idea what the entire story is about

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

It's wonderful but I don't find it as engrossing as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 1 (have not played 2 yet). While the world and combat and aesthetics are great, I find the weapon variety disappointing and so far the levels and areas in DeS and DS1 were more varied and interesting for the most part. Still, it's a really great game. I love how enemies can pick up your bloodstain after you die and you can only gain them back if you kill said enemy. I also really like that area that you end up in when one of those bag-carrying monsters kills you. I also do not like the gun parry mechanic and how important it is (it's okay but I liked how these kinds of things were not so essential in the previous games). 

Hi

Baryonyx said:

The story is good, but the story of the game is something you need to discover yourself and puzzle together. if you speed run the game without looking around and exploring, you might actually miss out on the story.

I managed to piece together a few notes that have given me an idea what the entire story is about

That's my favorite aspect about these Souls games: no large amounts of excessive and annoying dialogue; just go and explore the world and speak to the occassional npc and put the story together yourself. I wish more games were like this. 

Hi

BuffaloKiller said:

LMAo neither of those detract from it being a masterpiece, every acclaimed game had some technical issues, and they will get patched. The framerate is also solid 99% of the time.

The bolded isn't true to the degree of Bloodborne's, and the underlined is flat out not true. Bloodborne is possibly the best game released so far this gen. No one's taking that away from it, but being a masterpiece is something different. Unless you're pushing technical boundries in a quest to do something masterful like Shadow of the Collosus did on the PS2, and like Bloodborne definitely is not doing on the PS4, there's no excuse for the types of technical unpolish appearing in that game. Those are not signs of a masterpiece.

Around the Network

yes, Bloodborne is the new Castlevania.

I'm not sure if I'd consider Bloodborne a masterpiece. It's a great game, but I feel that masterpiece is a very strong word reserved for the few...

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

BuffaloKiller said:
Vasto said:
A great game, yes. A masterpiece, no.

Very few games I consider a masterpiece like Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

?? This makes no sense OOT was been surpassed many times, nostalgia glasses. Bloodborne and DS are both better in mechanics, world design then Zelda. BB is a masterpice easily, very few games have as well designed mecvhanics and interconnected detailed worlds as bloodborne.  Bloodbornes art style and atmosphere are virtually unmatched as well, 

BB is easily on of the best games of all time, From Software are simply on another level then most.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time

for me Demons Souls is as masterpiece and if that 93 is true then Bloodborne should be one as well

also if you want something like BB you should probably play Demons Souls, it was made by the same team Japan Studio X From Software, plus they took inspiration on Demons Souls to make Bloodborne so you would probably like it as well

Vasto said:
BuffaloKiller said:

?? This makes no sense OOT was been surpassed many times, nostalgia glasses. Bloodborne and DS are both better in mechanics, world design then Zelda. BB is a masterpice easily, very few games have as well designed mecvhanics and interconnected detailed worlds as bloodborne.  Bloodbornes art style and atmosphere are virtually unmatched as well, 

BB is easily on of the best games of all time, From Software are simply on another level then most.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time

If it launched in today's review climate it would be pretty hard to get a 99. OoT is better than BB, but it has less to do with the quality of the game itself but rather how groundbreaking it was. BB is ground breaking only in the sense we are seeing a hardcore game getting serious mainstream interest which I think is huge because it could lead to more devs putting more meat on their games.

But OoT? No comparison. Much of what Nintendo figured out for the game and how to make a game work in 3d is still evident in games today. BB is a GOTY and maybe even a GOTG type game, but OoT is on everyone's short list for greatest of all time.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.