By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Indiana Governer signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers.

The_Yoda said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I agree. If they cannot abide by your code in your business they should leave. Its just simple manners and respect. 

So your willing to discriminate based off of personality type?  And what of a Christian's moral code? Screw religion is your answer?

Code and law are the things which keep people civilized. Modern thought and philosophy do as well, but even less people know about that. If you own a business, the least you can expect from people is to be civilized in the place. If I owned a business that was pretty much what I would consider my code, but again on a sociological level that changes from society to society.

If people do things which cause your business to no longer be a safe environment, then yes, you must ask that they leave. Thats the point of expelling a person for the proper reasons, and not because of their race/creed/religion.

There is a reason why religion has to be kept seperate from state, because it will cause the intellectual progress of society from occuring. Its like stunting someones growth.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Yoda said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I agree. If they cannot abide by your code in your business they should leave. Its just simple manners and respect. 

So your willing to discriminate based off of personality type?  And what of a Christian's moral code? Screw religion is your answer?

Because people can't act in different ways based on the place they are in?

Many people can't or it is really difficult to for them. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The_Yoda said:

Code and law are the things which keep people civilized. Modern thought and philosophy do as well, but even less people know about that. If you own a business, the least you can expect from people is to be civilized in the place. If I owned a business that was pretty much what I would consider my code, but again on a sociological level that changes from society to society.

If people do things which cause your business to no longer be a safe environment, then yes, you must ask that they leave. Thats the point of expelling a person for the proper reasons, and not because of their race/creed/religion.

Granted no institution is perfect but Christian values are aligned with many of our laws. You've said religion does nothing but set society back, I think that is unfair , close minded and flat out wrong.  Have there been instances where religions had negative influence or made mistakes ... sure there are, any organization is made up of individuals.  Those individuals are human and prone to short sightedness and making mistakes.

I don't think allowing for the rejection of gay customers is the primary purpose of this bill. Besides, you turn away a customer or worse, make them feel uncomfortable word will spread quickly and you'll lose more customers than you can afford to. I don't think businesses owners would be that stupid. If they are, they won't last long.

Hows this different from ROAR? Is it discrimination if a guy gets kicked from an female-only nightclub? There are definitely certain business that should have this right. There are some that not (Hospitals, being the best example). I think that a privately owned business should have the right to kick anyone for whatever stupid reason (except in the health industry). If a company goes public then it forfeits this right.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The_Yoda said:

Granted no institution is perfect but Christian values are aligned with many of our laws. You've said religion does nothing but set society back, I think that is unfair , close minded and flat out wrong.  Have there been instances where religions had negative influence or made mistakes ... sure there are, any organization is made up of individuals.  Those individuals are human and prone to short sightedness and making mistakes.

Its actually a fact that religion has held society back, which caused the founding fathers to look back at history and actually be forced to separate church and state. Its because of being closed minded, but actually allows you to practice the religion of your choice without being approached by a non-believer in your religion or even an athiest. The problem with Christianity in general is that assumes position and dominion over the US of A because certain members of the founding members of society practiced Christianity and said somethings. Science progressed because religion backed down and now religion follows science (follow the catholic church). 

You're not even focusing on the fact that the fundamental reasoning of this discriminatory law is actually going to affect people in a state. Thats extremely selfish. 

Closed minded? Christians make up the majority of the religious people on the planet boasting billions. How were they spread? You take a guess.

Am I saying stop Christianity? NO. Be free to believe in it, but do not force your beliefs on a state of people because you might ruin their lives.

This is where a lack of humanity occurs. Humanity moves forward because of proper education and the progress of science (not religion). If you put religion over proper education, you just doomed your countries progress. Tell me have you even seen the debate between Bill Nye and Kenneth Ham?

Locknuts said:
I don't think allowing for the rejection of gay customers is the primary purpose of this bill. Besides, you turn away a customer or worse, make them feel uncomfortable word will spread quickly and you'll lose more customers than you can afford to. I don't think businesses owners would be that stupid. If they are, they won't last long.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/indiana-defines-stupidity-as-religion

The main issue with people being "free" to discriminate others is targeted groups (generally a minority) suffer. I would guess the people who supported this bill do not fear being discriminated against.

Augen said:
The main issue with people being "free" to discriminate others is targeted groups (generally a minority) suffer. I would guess the people who supported this bill do not fear being discriminated against.

Exactly. Last I checked Christians make up 60% of the population in the US. They would be the last social group to be discriminated against on a state level.

Ka-pi96 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Locknuts said:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/indiana-defines-stupidity-as-religion

That's a joke article.... right?

Yep, but satire tends to come with some truth.