By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Indiana Governer signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers.

WhiteEaglePL said:
The Fury said:

Why does it concern you if a gay person goes to heaven or not? Just wondering, it's their life after all not yours. 

I imagine if I go heaven (hopefully),  it would be better with more souls there, afterall, an eternity is a long time.  

Also I think god also cares about those that go to hell.

I think you mean those who are destined for hell. I doubt he does for those who are on the way, hence why hell was created. There is no vindication and there is no repentance once there.

As Dantes Inferno Put it, "Abandon all hope all ye who enter here".

Around the Network
The Fury said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

I imagine if I go heaven (hopefully),  it would be better with more souls there, afterall, an eternity is a long time.  

Also I think god also cares about those that go to hell.

If you lead a good life, you will. Heaven may not be as you envision though, if it's a plane of existance with people in of eternal happiness, considering there have been over 100billion humans over time, heaven will do fine in it's numbers.

The main thing to think about is how Jesus would react to people in life. He'd support and love them no matter who they are.

If Jesus saw America, based upon his words in the bible he'd be flipping tables. He was of course the original table flipper.

What kind of an idiot would make such a law? I mean, religious liberty should not mean that you can discriminate, what,s next?

Man refucing to be arrested by woman because religion says women can't tell men what do do?

So on ans so forth... I mean, a business is not fo,rced to serve casher or halal meals, they should not have to make cakes with same sex couple on them.... but this seems to be a rather strange to refuse a cake thing, you don't have to change your whole supply chain in order to get what the client want, what about a restaurant owner, should he be allowed to kick two people of the same gender who act suspiciously "gay"?

Now if you come up with the whole satan made them argument, that seems strange, wasn't the whole creaction made by god? (according to scripture... I don't believe in this) weren't adam and eve kicked out for having straight sex after loosing their innocense because they ate an apple?

I mean, to want to apply those rules today as they were written, seems down right strange to me, you have to forego too many things to just accept the word of the bible in a literal way.

So, just be tolerant of one another, and don't be the haters.

Runa216 said:
hey, when can we introduce a law that allows store owners to deny republicans from their establishments? I mean, why not make your stupid country even more divided? Get another civil war on the go, that's clearly where this kind of bullshit is heading.

Definitely. The religious right in the US will definitely cause a civil rights war if this goes any further.

hsrob said:

I understanding what you are saying and agree, you can't legislate for people to be courteous and nice to those that they don't, for whatever reason, want to interact with.

I think the problem with this is assuming that those on the receiving end will always have a choice in this matter.  This may be manageable to an extent in our social lives but we have much less control of this both in the workplace and in places of commerce.  This is particularly true of people living in small towns, where for example, there might only be one bakery.

Simply speaking I think there is always risk in providing legislative support for predjudice.  Even though I believe we should stop short of forcing commerce, I think there has to be some protection for minorities in these instances.  One would hope that in most situations common sense and market forces would prevail, with people avoiding service in establishments where they are likely to be unwelcome, and subsequent adverse commercial/financial impact for those businesses that openly support bigotry.

Yes I understand there are instances when a company would have a monopoly, but in today's world that is much less an issue (we can buy from further away with better shipping services and online shopping.) If I were to buy a wedding cake, even in a small town, I have a plethora of options. If I were to be married (which I don't plan to ever be) I'd like to be on very good terms with the people making the food at said wedding as well as the person creating the cake. It is something very personal, and I want everybody who is invested in it to do their best job.

I can think of very few scenarios in today's world where somebody can get away with discriminating (if it were legal), prevent another person from receiving a good, and also not induce a huge cost themselves. For example, let's say a grocery store is the only grocery store in an urban black neighborhood (for example an urban neighborhood in the large city near me only has one grocery store, and it just recently opened.) Now let's say that grocery store decided to discriminate against black people. The consequence is that they'll go out of business, because an overwhelming number of their consumers can't do business with them (90% of people who live in this neighborhood are black.) To prevent said consequence the owner will either sell said grocery store to somebody open to doing business with black people, or he/she will start selling to black people. Now let's say black people were a 20% of the population. If they restricted the sale of their goods to said people, then they'll be losing out on a lot of revenue, and that leaves the market open for some other group to come in and take over.  You'll find that large companies won't discriminate because they wish to expand into very diverse areas, and they'll be limiting options. They benefit from an economies of scale and will gain more power if they support minority groups. Small companies in turn won't discriminate because they are afraid large companies will gain market power in their area and put them out of business not only because they get the minority support, but also because they can have cheaper prices which will entice the majority, due to higher revenue. So even in the monopoly outright discrimination is not desirable. Now we can get into the details of charging different prices to different groups of people, and that makes things a bit more fuzzy, but overall we are talking about a very small number of markets affecting a very small number of a minority population, when all these circumstances are accounted for. 

Now there is an instance in which the market likely won't work at all. This is when a government gets involved and gives special market priveleges to the racist/homophobic organization. Say, for example, the local zoning board prevents a non-discriminatory store from entering their local market because they agree with the policies of the racist/homophobic store and want its monopoly status to push minorities/non-heterosexuals out. This is a big no-no and I support any effort to prevent this, just like I support the civil rights act preventing state government from mandating discrimination. 

It says a lot that the southern states needed to mandate discrimination, to be honest. If the most racist areas in the U.S needed their racists to be subsidized by the state by mandating everybody to discriminate, then it says a lot about how much it costs, even in that context, to exclude certain groups of people from purchasing your goods or charging different prices/providing different services to said people. To discriminate and to run a successful business are usually competing goals. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Jesus saw America, based upon his words in the bible he'd be flipping tables. He was of course the original table flipper.

Yeah. I can see where its going. In the name of neutrality and many others things you actually love to bash others. Great. Satanism is really powerful now a days.

daredevil.shark said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yeah. I can see where its going. In the name of neutrality and many others things you actually love to bash others. Great. Satanism is really powerful now a days.

Are you insinuating that I am a follower of Satanic faith? I hope not because I am agnostic. I don't believe that one has the capacity to know whether god does or doesn't exist. I used to be Christian, but I dont remember having such a cooridor of thought when it came to understanding someones ideology through discussion.

This is an interesting thread, stage. It's nice being neutral on topics like this.

The_Yoda said:
Skullwaker said:
The_Yoda said:
The hypocrisy of your earlier statement is perhaps lost on you?

There is no hypocrisy to be found. The difference between hating someone for something they can't change and hating someone for their own actions is astounding. 

If we are talking only about homosexuals then I take it you fall in with the side that believes homosexuality to be biological rather than a choice?

you seem to be on the side that thinks it makes a difference wheter it's a choice or not. the fact is that it's a preference and anyone against it is automatically wrong.

Business owners have the right to allow or not whoever they want in the establishments.

I'm not saying it is a right choice, only that government shouldn't intervene in this.