By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion: Violence in Video Games; Adolescents; Aggressive Behavior

ReimTime said:

I definitely agree that a lot of the research is vague and/or bad and/or slightly biased. I have a theory that research spiked after Columbine, and since then everyone has been trying to clamp down on a lot of entertainment aspects so as to avoid anymore shootings, all the while only seeing the forest for the trees.  I ended up reading a lot of studies because I wrote a paper on the topic, but none of the studies seem to be able to relate laboratory induced situations to real life results.

I do however think that ERSB ratings need to exist, and that parents need to follow them.

All the while the actual research and money should be focused towards mental health, and people should look towards the media if they want to find someone in the entertainment industry who directly influences real world violence.

Also, I agree that the ESRB should exist, just as most entertainment has a rating system. Some things are simply not appropriate for children. However, I think that it is the parents decision to allow their child to play M rated video games and it is their responsibility to be sure they understand where the line is in the real world. If they believe that the child can handle M rated games, than I see no problem with allowing them access to said games. i know that I was playing M rated games before I turned 17.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

All the while the actual research and money should be focused towards mental health, and people should look towards the media if they want to find someone in the entertainment industry who directly influences real world violence.

Also, I agree that the ESRB should exist, just as most entertainment has a rating system. Some things are simply not appropriate for children. However, I think that it is the parents decision to allow their child to play M rated video games and it is their responsibility to be sure they understand where the line is in the real world. If they believe that the child can handle M rated games, than I see no problem with allowing them access to said games. i know that I was playing M rated games before I turned 17.

I wish it wasn't such a bipolar decision for the parenting population. From what I've seen (yep more anecdotal evidence) it's a lot of either completely avoid the game because the devil made it, or don't even look at the game when you buy it because your kid owns you. Parents that consider the decision more closely and have sitdowns with their kids are few and far between in my community

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Didn't someone try to pin violence on rock and roll? How about movies? Now's it's video games to take the spot light.

yes, no, maybe? there isnt a good way to find it out... BUT we know that it would be a problem with fiction vs reality in a young mind, so banning religion would help more than banning video games( we have a very well made study that shows that religion is giving children problems with figuring out what real and whats fiction...)

Online gaming can definitely have an affect on a person just as any social interaction can. I doubt singleplayer games can have much of an affect on someone who has perfect mental health though. It's less the game more the people and certain games can be more attractive to certain types of people.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
HollyGamer said:
games or not or what ever the media is, people easy to influenced by their surrounding like friends, neighborhood and mostly family. So Video games is one of them, even if a person playing non violent games in violent society or family, the person will still influenced by the closest factor which is family.

Family is the first unit of socialization, definitely; but the media definitely has a large hand as well. According to Albert Bandura's social learning theory, people learn through observing, imitating, and modeling. He conducted his famous bobo doll experiment (which measured a child's behavior after watching an adult act aggressively towards a bobo doll and either get rewarded/punished/no consequence. In this instance, they were likely to exhibit aggressive behavior like the adult had. One could argue that, according to the social learning theory, children might imitate what they see in a violent video game.

Of course Bandura's experiment still had plenty of criticism, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment#Results

agree with u, that's why family or the closest person one to the kid is  the one responsible to determine where the kid will become, either let it the media dictate it or the neighborhood influenced or his/her friend influenced. The media is there but family can control it, because TV, games, music doesn't just play by them self, unless the family allow it.

another replica, sorry

Mod what happen with this site, is slow and i repost the same thing again and again?

There hasn't been any conclusive evidence that violent video games cause violent behavior in the long-term. Quite the opposite, in fact. Violent Crime Rates have been on a general decrease since the 1990's. Since games can offer an outlet, people would rather go on a killing spree in GTA than they would in real life, because you don't have consequences in a video game.

The media too frequently makes the mistake of "correlation = causation" when it comes to video games and violent crimes. Just because a mass-murderer played Call of Duty, that does not mean Call of Duty was a factor in becoming a mass-murderer. By that logic, we should ban Water, since 100% of people who commit crimes also drink water.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens