By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone think the Dreamcast is over-rated now?

StuOhQ said:
No way. Still play my Dreamcast more than even my PS2, and that console has the benefit of two generations of titles. People will balk at the claims if they've never owned one, but the DC, GCN, and, now, the Wii U have offered up the best experiences of their era and are failing hard in sales.

It's a trend that extends into all facets of the arts. Think about the last pop album that made you think, "Wow, that's really the pinnacle of musical achievement..." - for me, I'd have to go back decades.

It's easy as pie, however, to find an excellent game that sold 100-500k LTD. Unfortunate but true...

gamecube and ps2 were equally amazing, the wii u part is just dumb.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

Sonic Adventure games got like 9's across the BOARD back when they came out. It would be more accurate for you to state that they were terrible "in your opinion" than just terrible because clearly, they were not.

I'm not going to even get into why the 9's are bullshit. The game is damn near Sonic 06 bad.

And I'm not going to insult your intelligence by prefacing everything I say with "in my opinion." We all went to grade school. A preschooler could tell that was an opinion. Saying "in my opinion" isn't any more accurate; it's redundant.

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Sonic Adventure games got like 9's across the BOARD back when they came out. It would be more accurate for you to state that they were terrible "in your opinion" than just terrible because clearly, they were not.

I'm not going to even get into why the 9's are bullshit. The game is damn near Sonic 06 bad.

And I'm not going to insult your intelligence by prefacing everything I say with "in my opinion." We all went to grade school. A preschooler could tell that was an opinion. Saying "in my opinion" isn't any more accurate; it's redundant.

If reviewing the game in 2015, I agree it'd never score 9/10.

however, it didn't come out in 2015,it came out in 1998 and was pretty much one of the most impressive video games ever seen at the time.

Here's a look at some other awful 90's trash called Mario 64. Has a poor camera, bland looking compact levels and some serious control issues. I don't know why they bothered playing games back then.

View on YouTube

How on earth did that dross get 10/10? Bullshit AMIRITE?! Looks like Ninjabread Man on the Wii to me!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

If reviewing the game in 2015, I agree it'd never score 9/10.

however, it didn't come out in 2015,it came out in 1998 and was pretty much one of the most impressive video games ever seen at the time.

Here's a look at some awful 90's trash called Mario 64.

View on YouTube

How on earth did that dross get 10/10? Bullshit AMIRITE?!

Mario 64 out today and untouched would still review well. Sonic Adventure 1/2 out today untouched would review worse than The Order. The comparison isn't even close. Mario 64 was a polished game with fine tuned, focused, and non-intrusive mechanics. The Adventure games are the antithesis of that.

spemanig said:

Mario 64 out today and untouched would still review well. Sonic Adventure 1/2 out today untouched would review worse than The Order. The comparison isn't even close. Mario 64 was a polished game with fine tuned, focused, and non-intrusive mechanics. The Adventure games are the antithesis of that.

Actually, I don't think it would. No online play, so instantly restricted to 6-7/10 range. Small areas, not much to explore. 5/10. And 320 x 240 at 20fps? 3/10 max.

They play just as well to us as they always did. But give an N64 pad to someone who has grown up playing the 360/PS3 and now has a XB1/PS4 and they will probably find it very difficult to control and find the level design bland and drab.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

Actually, I don't think it would. No online play, so instantly restricted to 6-7/10 range. Small areas, not much to explore. 5/10. And 320 x 240 at 20fps? 3/10 max.

You have a severe misunderstanding of how review scoring works if you seriously believe that.

spemanig said:
MikeRox said:

You have a severe misunderstanding of how review scoring works if you seriously believe that.

The 6-7/10 cap was more in jest. However I have frequently seen games score lower for not having online modes because they don't have as much content/longevity.

Mario 64 certainly wouldn't be given 10/10 if it was released today. The response would be there are already much better games on the market doing more.

It's not the greatest console ever made but it is up there with the best. It was a console that tried new ways in terms of both games and hardware, and helped push the industry forward. It also had the best shooters, 2d fighters and racing games of all time.

spemanig said:
MikeRox said:

Sorry, but you're dead wrong here. You're looking at things in a vacuum. Mario 64 would indeed be trash if released today. The same goes for just about any game that's not a 2-d side scroller and/or not Pac-Man. 

Sonic Adventure blew minds back when it came out and was the cream of the crop. You can only judge games based on the time when they came out and when that game launched, there was nothing close. 

MikeRox said:

The 6-7/10 cap was more in jest. However I have frequently seen games score lower for not having online modes because they don't have as much content/longevity.

Mario 64 certainly wouldn't be given 10/10 if it was released today. The response would be there are already much better games on the market doing more.

I don't even think it should have gotten a 10/10 back then, but that's not my point. Even in retrospect, aside from the absolutely terible framerate and dated graphics, the game is a B to B+ game. There aren't "already much better games." 64 is still one of the top 3D platformers of all time. If you applied the same pardons to the Adventure games, they would score an F today, because the games themselves aren't good. And it's not an age thing. Infact, every time the games have resurfaced, their metacritic scores have gotten lower and lower; as low as 48. When Mario 64 resurfaced for the DS? 85.