By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Wants To "Suprise Gamers" With NX

It wouldn't necessarily be rushed if it is indeed a fusion platform.

That means really it has an automatic library from day 1 as soon as the handheld is ready to go.

Around the Network

You wanna surprise me, Iwata? Tell me you're going to release a console that has comparable hardware to PS4/XBoxOne and will fully support 3rd party. Listen, I've been a nintendo fan since 1986 but I think this time around I will not get their system at launch. I'll wait until it has a good library and lower price.

HBninjaX said:

You wanna surprise me, Iwata? Tell me you're going to release a console that has comparable hardware to PS4/XBoxOne and will fully support 3rd party. Listen, I've been a nintendo fan since 1986 but I think this time around I will not get their system at launch. I'll wait until it has a good library and lower price.

Releasing a console in 2017 comparable to the PS4/X1 is no big deal. Nintendo isn't interested in competing head on with Sony/MS. 

There's honestly really no benefit to buying a console as soon as it launches anyway, unless you absolutely need to play one of the launch games and can't live without it. You're always going to get a better experience by picking up a console later on. The library will be better, the system will likely be cheaper. Nothing wrong with that. 

To be honest I barely use my PS4, it most is just a gloirifed Netflix machine right now, until Arkham comes out. 

Getting 3rd party support won't just depend on what HW Nintendo makes.
If Nintendo really wants to convence them, it's going to take more than HW to make them overlook how great 3rd party franchises have sold on Wii U. Even if the ports weren't perfect.

Nintendo will either have to present a bigger audience to them (Fusion) or a deep change in strategy (marketing, what games they will putting out, etc.). If both can happen. then, awesome!

DélioPT said:
If Nintendo really wants to convence them, it's going to take more than HW to make them overlook how great 3rd party franchises have sold on Wii U. Even if the ports weren't perfect.

Nintendo will either have to present a bigger audience to them (Fusion) or a deep change in strategy (marketing, what games they will putting out, etc.). If both can happen. then, awesome!

Nintendo will never have great party support again and I don't think they really care all that much. Sure they don't want it to be as bad as the Wii U is now, but I think they'll be relatively OK with 3DS level third party support.

The whole point of a fusion platform format is to minimize the need for 3rd party content anyway. 

Fact is, with Sony AND MS, Nintendo will simply never be the no.1 or even likely no.2 priority for third parties unless its a kids licensed property (ie: LEGO). That's just how it is, and it ain't changing. 

With smartphone profits likely being large, NX/future dedicated platforms may just end up being gravy to Nintendo really. If they can make a OK sized profit from traditional game platforms, great, but even the N64 and GameCube could do that. 

Around the Network

I dont think NX is a classical Hardware. I think its a Service of some kind.. Maybe introduced through a new hardware.

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

Nintendo will never have great party support again and I don't think they really care all that much. Sure they don't want it to be as bad as the Wii U is now, but I think they'll be relatively OK with 3DS level third party support.

The whole point of a fusion platform format is to minimize the need for 3rd party content anyway. 

Fact is, with Sony AND MS, Nintendo will simply never be the no.1 or even likely no.2 priority for third parties unless its a kids licensed property (ie: LEGO). That's just how it is, and it ain't changing. 

With smartphone profits likely being large, NX/future dedicated platforms may just end up being gravy to Nintendo really. If they can make a OK sized profit from traditional game platforms, great, but even the N64 and GameCube could do that. 

Never say never!
Until last generation i would say that no two consoles could be successful at the same time. History had shown that.
Still, it happened: PS3 and and XB360 were neck and neck and at really high numbers, not low numbers, which was really impressive.

It will be really hard to change people's perceptions of what to expect from Nintendo.
Even if they bring core like games to complement the usual Nintendo type of games, it won't be easy to regain that kind of support, but it might help really improve the level and quality of support.

If Nintendo can really change their market stance with games, strategy and marketing, anything can happen.

Yeah, during N64 and GC days developers were happy because at least then the machines were making good money. Let's hope that we reach that point again! :)

Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

The basis are wii u games. the ones you mentioned couldn't run on a 350 gflops gpu. and there are even more technically advanced games about to release (zelda, xenoblade x).

Ur just making stuff up with not a single shred of evidence, go find some actual proof or report that backs up ur statements or drop it.

ps360 performance vs wii u performance is all the evidence.

Fortunately, the onus is on whoever wants to insist on this "350 gflop" thing.

the only way to prove this is going by multiplatform games....i think you already know how they perfrom vs PS360 ones. Not much better.

oniyide said:
Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

The basis are wii u games. the ones you mentioned couldn't run on a 350 gflops gpu. and there are even more technically advanced games about to release (zelda, xenoblade x).

Ur just making stuff up with not a single shred of evidence, go find some actual proof or report that backs up ur statements or drop it.

the only way to prove this is going by multiplatform games....i think you already know how they perfrom vs PS360 ones. Not much better.

Even if you look at the really "stunner" Wii U titles -- Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade X it's not like they're miles beyond the best looking PS3/360 games ... Halo 4 and Last of Us are not that far behind if at all honestly. I think Xenoblade X is the one game that maybe punches a bit above those titles, Mario Kart probably gets away with probably more simplistic environments/character models due to its cartoony nature. 

Wii U games should look a little better even if we assume a 350 GFLOP processor, that's a decent bump from 250 GFLOPs on the 360, then factor in doubling the RAM to 1GB for games and triple the eDRAM from the 360 ... and sure some games should look better. 

I liken it more to the jump between the PS2 and the GameCube and especially XBox. Certainly the top tier GCN and XBox games like Rogue Squadron, RE4, DOOM III, and Riddick looked better than anything on the PS2, but they weren't like a huge step beyond the PS2 either. 

oniyide said:
Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:

lol are you serious? Multiplatforms from the same generation are indeed usefull for comparison but cross gen are irrelevant. what use is comparing cross gen titles when the exclusives wipe the floor with them?